• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun Safe Dehuidifier

Trapper-Randy

Finally got a gun safe and was wondering what y'all use for a dehumidifier in your safes? I was looking at one of the rods.

T-R

notalawyer

Finally got a gun safe and was wondering what y'all use for a dehumidifier in your safes? I was looking at one of the rods.

T-R

All the rods do are warm the interior to help prevent condensation from forming on the contents by keeping it a couple degrees warmer than outside. They do not reduce the humidity level and may not prevent rust from forming.

You can use Vapor Phase Corrosion Inhibitors which will prevent corrosion. http://www.bull-frog.com/products/
Or you can use a dehumidifer like the Eva-Dry. http://www.eva-dry.com/products/?ut...=SearchEVADRYBranded&menuPhone=(855) 292.6460

Or get a bag of crystal cat litter (100% silica gel without any additives) , and and old pair of socks/pantyhose/etc. and make your own.

motoxmann

for guns you very rarely remove from the safe, you can also get resealable/reuseable watertight/airtight bags and such

OC for ME

How about taking your guns out from time to time and apply a little oil to them. WW's rice suggestion is a good one if you are adverse to my suggestion.

Trapper-Randy

Thanks for the input all! I ordered one of the Eva-Dry E-500 and it came today. I will stick it in and see how it works. I do take my out a couple times a year and wipe them down. I will give them a good wipe down as I put them in.

T-R

SFCRetired

One addition to this: The gypsum in sheetrock will also absorb moisture. Remove the paper, crumble it up, dry it in an oven, and then, as with the rice, put it in a container with holes and place it in the gun safe.