• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open meetings law - how capitol police can treat you

davidmcbeth

Banned
Sec. 1-225. (Formerly Sec. 1-21). Meetings of government agencies to be public. Recording of votes. Schedule and agenda of certain meetings to be filed and posted on web sites. Notice of special meetings. Executive sessions.....

(e) No member of the public shall be required, as a condition to attendance at a meeting of any such body, to register the member's name, or furnish other information, or complete a questionnaire or otherwise fulfill any condition precedent to the member's attendance.

http://www.cga.ct.gov/current/pub/chap014.htm#Sec1-225.htm

They cannot force you to do jack squat ... the capitol policeman and James Tracy think that you need to answer questions to get into a bldg holding a meeting and if you don't then they can keep you out of the bldg (that's what happened to me) ... I told them to drop dead if they think I was going to answer any of their questions ... and now I have a FIC complaint pending asking the FIC to void the meeting .. at the task force's 1-28-13 hearing ... and what was that about: gun control. I think all those metal detectors are BS .. meant to keep us Americans out.

davidmcbeth

Banned
this is definitely good information to know

I do recall reading a FIC about getting documents and the FIC said it was OK to force someone to be security searched ... but a meeting is under another section and the law is quite clear that they cannot place any conditions on you entering or gaining access to a meeting.

So next time that they have metal detectors up .. I'll be raising wholly hell ...