• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My letter to those who voted "Nay" on HB1408

sopranos27

Here is a letter I wrote and sent to all who voted Nay for HB1408:

I’m writing to let you know how embarrassed and ashamed I am of the way you voted for this Bill. It was HEAVILLY amended to only allow Open Carry in Rural areas only and seems you fell hook line and sinker when Director Colonel Stan Witt fed you that line of BS about opposing the bill for “safety” concerns. The ASP’s job is to protect and serve, not rule and govern! The ASP and yourself pledged to uphold and protect the Constitution of the United States and your Nay Vote on HB1408 clearly shows that you are not willing to protect our 2nd Amendment rights!

Here is a quote from Mr. Hankins of the Highway Police:
“Most people that carry guns like this are good, honest people, but occasionally, you get that radical person out there that we also must deal with that thinks you’re infringing on their Second Amendment rights. So that can cause some tension between law enforcement and the people who actually wear these things.”

Again, because Mr. Hankins feels that it will cause tension between the public and the police he is able to suede you into believing this? I guess instead of allowing us to exercise those rights the state should just be able to squash them instead? After all, we don’t want people thinking that they’re entitled to liberty or anything… Something to consider on this issue is that Arkansas is a Stop and ID state! Any police officer, sheriff, highway patrolman has the right to Stop and ID any person for any reason at any time. Any person refusing an officers request can be arrested. We don’t have to worry about those 2nd Amendment “radicals” who refuse to show ID because Arkansas Law states that they can be arrested for that. Anyone who is licensed to carry a gun is taught in CCL Class that Arkansas is a Stop and ID State…

Here is a quote from Stan Witt regarding answering a question about the ASP’s stance on the bill: “I…uh…I can’t tell you that. I just read the bill this morning and we had a discussion at our department.”
How can he even be taken seriously if he was only made aware of this bill the morning it was to be voted on by the committee? This is truly sad and actually shows his ignorance as the Director of the ASP!

I’m all for gun control and universal background checks but all I want is to be able to protect MY family from harm and not have to worry about trying to un-holster my weapon from concealment or worry about it snagging on my shirt or pocket when those precious seconds matter. When seconds count, the police will be there in a few minutes. Think about that. We just want what the 2nd Amendment promises us and what you promised to uphold… “The right to bear arms!” I will NOT be voting for you.

Thanks,

Derrel

I have received a response from Mr. McElroy indicating that he would have voted yes if it was not amended to say "rural" areas only. I keep this thread updated with any responses I receive.

Last edited:

sopranos27

Email communication from Mark McElroy:

I have told Sue, I plan to move Do pass!

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 5, 2013, at 6:05 AM, "Westover, Derrel D" <Derrel.D.Westover@fisglobal.com> wrote:

> Thank you for your quick response. I will pass this on to Sue.
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Mark McElroy [mailto:mdmcelroy1@yahoo.com]
> Sent: Tuesday, March 05, 2013 6:04 AM
> To: Westover, Derrel D
> Subject: Re: SpeakToApps
>
> Yes
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Mar 5, 2013, at 6:01 AM, "Westover, Derrel D" <Derrel.D.Westover@fisglobal.com> wrote:
>
>> So you are saying that you would vote on it to pass committee if it was an open carry with no incorporated or unincorporated restrictions? I can understand concerns about weapon retention training and the future bill could indicate that all open carry weapons must be used in a retention holster.
>>
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: Mark McElroy [mailto:mdmcelroy1@yahoo.com]
>> Sent: Tuesday, March 05, 2013 5:50 AM
>> To: Westover, Derrel D
>> Subject: SpeakToApps
>>
>> Darrell, I appreciate your input on this bill. Yes I voted against the bill. Because it has been so heavily amended that it was a toothless tiger. The only place you could carry openly is in Empty field the way the bill stands now. And I will not vote for it unless you can carry in the city limits because that will cause all types of confusion. I do have concerns about weapon retention training. MDM
>>
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone

okiebryan

Director, Oklahoma Open Carry Association
I’m all for gun control and universal background checks but all I want is to be able to protect MY family

Yeah, about that... ummm. I really don't know a nice way to point out the abject fail in this statement.

I have received a response from Mr. McElroy indicating that he would have voted yes if it was not amended to say "rural" areas only.
You just officially got your chain yanked. Mr McElroy knows full well that the bill could have been amended with a floor sub, a committee sub in the Senate committee, or a floor sub in the Senate. 3 opportunities for this bill to be fixed or to die. He decided it would be better to go ahead and kill it now. By the way, did you know they removed the word "gullible" from the dictionary?

Kopis

First off, please have someone proof read anything you send to an elected official. I sincerely hope that those were not your exact words.

Secondly, why would you be for gun control or the facade of "universal" background checks?

sopranos27

First off, please have someone proof read anything you send to an elected official. I sincerely hope that those were not your exact words.

Secondly, why would you be for gun control or the facade of "universal" background checks?

Those were my words and I'm all for universal background checks but only if it does not create a national gun registry. No matter though as Arkansas will become a Constitutional Carry State on Aug. 16th.

ccwinstructor

Centurion
UBC bills that do not lead to a registry are not supported by the Obama Regime

Those were my words and I'm all for universal background checks but only if it does not create a national gun registry. No matter though as Arkansas will become a Constitutional Carry State on Aug. 16th.

Senator Coburn put forward an amendment that allowed for background checks without registration. It was soundly defeated by those who normally support gun control.

Kopis

one leads to the other.

"universal" background checks sound good to a lot of people, even to me at first but let's rationalize them for a minute. When you or i sell a firearm, who do we sell it to? a family, close friend and/or someone with CC permit. We dont go down to north little rock and wave it around at midnight and sell it to the first yahoo that walks up. I only sell to family or people with CC permit and i think that goes for the majority of responsible gun owners.

Secondly, IF "universal" background checks pass, do you think criminals who stole firearms or purchased them illegally will start going in for background checks? no they wont.

UB checks are just a "feel" good step on the road to a national registry.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
Those were my words and I'm all for universal background checks but only if it does not create a national gun registry...
Yeah, and way back when plenty of people said "I'm all for an income tax as long as only rich people have to pay it".

We've seen how that worked out, haven't we? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: