• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

the mrs.

nyndy8altyse

can anyone chime in with an answer here? my woman has a misdermeaner vandelism with a criminal diversion (a non violent charge). does anyone know if that wil exclude her from obtaining a hcp?

DamonK

By washington law she would be fine. Go ahead and try it, the worst they can say is no, but she should be ok.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Fallguy

I am not a lawyer, but from my understanding of the law she shouldn't have any problem. The only misdemeanors I know of that can prevent you from getting a HCP are for domestic violence, certain drug offenses and multiple DUIs.

If she is still on diversion, I'm not sure how that might work though.

Last edited:

SgtScott31

I'm curious if you mean pretrial diversion. Once she completes it the charge is technically dismissed. I don't see any issues with her getting a HCP. Hopefully the county enters the disposition correctly and sends it on to TBI. When I worked in the Records/ID Unit for TBI there were a ton of people who had an arrest charge but no follow up disposition. If only the arrest charge shows up on the records, they likely won't issue the permit until they know the disposition (outcome).

MKEgal

SgtScott31 said:
If only the arrest charge shows up on the records, they likely won't issue the permit until they know the disposition (outcome).
:question: Does it matter what the charge is? Obviously if it's a felony, or a disqualifying misdemeaner, it'd make sense to withhold the carry license.
But for anything else, why would it matter?
Does TN have a morals clause, which prohibits people convicted of a variety of crimes involving "moral turpitude" from getting a license (a la Utah)?

DamonK

:question: Does it matter what the charge is? Obviously if it's a felony, or a disqualifying misdemeaner, it'd make sense to withhold the carry license.
Does TN have a morals clause, which prohibits people convicted of a variety of crimes involving "moral turpitude" from getting a license (a la Utah)?

He's saying that if just the charge is on the record, but not any conviction(big difference) then she's good to go. Only a conviction counts, not a charge.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Fallguy

No, there is no moral turpitude clause in the law. It's just they want a disposition (outcome) on any arrest/charge that shows up on a background check, regardless of what it may be.

SgtScott31

If you read a printout of a TN criminal history it might be a little more clear. It only records the date of the charge. If you're lucky it may spell out felony or misdemeanor. There's a possibility that if it's not a disqualifying misdemeanor (like domestic violence) they may still issue the permit even without the disposition from the court. but I wouldn't hold my breath.

It depends on TICS (TN Instant Check, who's responsible for gun approval). If there's a possibility the charge could be either a misdemeanor or felony or if it's not indicated, they're going to want the disposition.
Our theft & vandalism charges are misdemeanors in TN until they reach $500. Over $500 it's a felony, so if the charge only says "theft" or "vandalism" without a dollar amount, count on having to get court info to the Dept of Safety for your permit. Hope that makes better sense.