Thread: LEO Dog has negligent discharge

LEO Dog has negligent discharge

http://www.policeone.com/bizarre/art...r&nlid=6138715

http://www.myfoxboston.com/story/214...#ixzz2MWqjyyM3

LAWRENCE, Mass. (MyFoxBoston.com) – Police say a dog searching for a gun in a snowbank accidentally pulled the trigger with its paw, firing the weapon.
    No humans —or dogs — were hurt.
    The episode started at around 2 a.m. Sunday when an officer on patrol heard three gunshots. When the officer went to investigate, he saw a vehicle speed away.
    When the car pulled over, police saw a man leap out and bury something in the snow.
    Ivan, a dog handled by the Essex County Sheriff's Department, was called to the scene to find whatever was buried in the snow. Police say he started digging furiously and fired the gun.

Three men were arrested and police determined the gun had been stolen in Manchester, N.H., in October.

Anybody can have a negligent discharge.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

Will the handler be charged for endangering a fellow "officer?"
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

A background check would have prevented this incident.

Glock? That would be sweet.

California will enact a law to make firearms canine safe.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

The dog was put on administrative (paid) leave. He will have to attend remedial range training.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie View Post
    The dog was put on administrative (paid) leave. He will have to attend remedial range training.

I wonder why a dog would dig "furiously"? Are police dogs now trained in more than drug detection?

The more I think about this, the fishier it sounds. Why would cops even need a dog? The cops saw the guy bury something in the snow. It can't be all that hard to spot where the burying occurred. Why didn't the cops just dig in the snow bank themselves?
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Banned
    Recommend promotion for the dog to Chief of Police ! Its not that ruff of a job.

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Recommend promotion for the dog to Chief of Police ! Its not that ruff of a job.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie View Post
    I have a duty to ask.....how much do police dogs get paid? Does the dogs Handler endorse the dogs paycheck or does the dog just ink his right front paw and 'make his/hers mark on the back of the check?'
    Last edited by noname762; 03-07-2013 at 06:03 PM.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Interesting story, but no connection to OC or RKBA.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.