• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

LEO Dog has negligent discharge

Status
Not open for further replies.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
http://www.policeone.com/bizarre/ar...gun-into-home/?source=newsletter&nlid=6138715

http://www.myfoxboston.com/story/21...entally-fires-gun-during-search#ixzz2MWqjyyM3

LAWRENCE, Mass. (MyFoxBoston.com) – Police say a dog searching for a gun in a snowbank accidentally pulled the trigger with its paw, firing the weapon.
No humans —or dogs — were hurt.
The episode started at around 2 a.m. Sunday when an officer on patrol heard three gunshots. When the officer went to investigate, he saw a vehicle speed away.
When the car pulled over, police saw a man leap out and bury something in the snow.
Ivan, a dog handled by the Essex County Sheriff's Department, was called to the scene to find whatever was buried in the snow. Police say he started digging furiously and fired the gun.

Three men were arrested and police determined the gun had been stolen in Manchester, N.H., in October.

Anybody can have a negligent discharge.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Will the handler be charged for endangering a fellow "officer?"

OC for ME

A background check would have prevented this incident.

Glock? That would be sweet.

California will enact a law to make firearms canine safe.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
The dog was put on administrative (paid) leave. He will have to attend remedial range training.

:)

I wonder why a dog would dig "furiously"? Are police dogs now trained in more than drug detection?

The more I think about this, the fishier it sounds. Why would cops even need a dog? The cops saw the guy bury something in the snow. It can't be all that hard to spot where the burying occurred. Why didn't the cops just dig in the snow bank themselves?

noname762

The dog was put on administrative (paid) leave. He will have to attend remedial range training.

I have a duty to ask.....how much do police dogs get paid? Does the dogs Handler endorse the dogs paycheck or does the dog just ink his right front paw and 'make his/hers mark on the back of the check?'

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.