Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Open Carry with one in the pipe

Open Carry with one in the pipe

I am new to posting here but I have been reading the forums for a month now.
    I live in Davidson county and have had no problems with open carry around here, with one comment that it is not legal to carry with a bullet in the chamber.

Hope some of you have a good insight on this and any experience on this subject.

Are you saying that Davidson County doesn't allow a round to be chambered? Can you tell us where that information comes from? I'm not arguing...just curious. I know there's no NC statute that prohibits carrying a round in the chamber.

No it is hear say, not official.

Quote Originally Posted by Itch View Post
    Heresay Who?? Inquiring minds want to know. Is this official policy in writing or something else?
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

I am new to posting here but I have been reading the forums for a month now.
    I live in Davidson county and have had no problems with open carry around here, with one comment that it is not legal to carry with a bullet in the chamber.

Hope some of you have a good insight on this and any experience on this subject.
    Welcome to the forum, you can learn a lot from the people here.

Are you asking a question or making a statement above?
    If it's a question, you will get an answer, if it's a statement, I believe the forum rules require a cite to authority.

I think your subject was covered in this thread: Can I have a loaded magazine while open carrying in NC?

-MH
    Last edited by March Hare; 03-05-2013 at 04:40 PM.
    $2 Bill - Calling Card of the 2A Movement
    If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.
    Seriously, who is John Galt?
    Vires et honestas

What ever you heard is wrong

Yes I was asking a question.

You can carry however you want, loaded,unloaded,one in the pipe or not. Good you came here for further answers because alot of people just dont know. Welcome to the forum.

That's the only way to carry, specially if you have a 1911.

Quote Originally Posted by .40 Cal View Post
    That's the only way to carry, specially if you have a 1911.
    Yes I carry an American Classic 1911 government model, by Metro Arms.

welcome to the forum...

i am truly impressed that on your first posting you pulled them in from Washington state and Arizona...not too bad at all...

here is a site to assist in your quest(s) for knowledge in the Tarheel state http://www.ncleg.net/gascripts/statutes/statutes.asp which has very good search engine in the upper right side.

wabbit

PS: now everyone forgive me but i have to go there...

pps: did that scratch your 'itch' ?
    Last edited by ncwabbit; 03-06-2013 at 06:47 AM.
    But who prays for Satan? Who in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most...
    A person who has for untold centuries maintained the imposing position of spiritual head of four-fifths of the human race...
    All religions issue bibles against him, and say the most injurious things about him, but we never hear his side. (twain)

Quote Originally Posted by wethepeople View Post
    You can carry however you want, loaded,unloaded,one in the pipe or not. Good you came here for further answers because alot of people just dont know. Welcome to the forum.
    +1 Figure out what you are comfortable with, then don't worry about it. All modes are legal here in NC.
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Yes I carry an American Classic 1911 government model, by Metro Arms.
    In that case, condition 1 is your only option (unless you can draw, rack and aim in the time it would take to defend yourself from an attacker). I had reservations when I first started to OC a 1911 because I thought it would scare people to see a hammer locked back into the "ready" position. You'd be surprised at how few people notice that aspect of the firearm. I did, however, have a guy at a gunstore tel me, "hey, do you know your hammer is back?" I found it funny when he had nothing to say after I said, "I know".

Quote Originally Posted by .40 Cal View Post
    In that case, condition 1 is your only option (unless you can draw, rack and aim in the time it would take to defend yourself from an attacker). I had reservations when I first started to OC a 1911 because I thought it would scare people to see a hammer locked back into the "ready" position. You'd be surprised at how few people notice that aspect of the firearm. I did, however, have a guy at a gunstore tel me, "hey, do you know your hammer is back?" I found it funny when he had nothing to say after I said, "I know".
    I have carried with the hammer back but most the time with the hammer down....
    i'm not sure what is the safest my concern with the hammer down is that a force will mash the hammer and pin hard and make the shell fire..not even sure it can happen that way.
    I have long fingers so it is not a problem to cock the hammer in mid draw.

And wabbit my itch is way to deep to be scratched...lol

I have carried with the hammer back but most the time with the hammer down....
    i'm not sure what is the safest my concern with the hammer down is that a force will mash the hammer and pin hard and make the shell fire..not even sure it can happen that way.
    I have long fingers so it is not a problem to cock the hammer in mid draw.

And wabbit my itch is way to deep to be scratched...lol
    Almost impossible, I only say "almost" because if I said it was impossible somebody would have a story of it happening to a brothers cousin's husband or something. Carry condition 1 and don't even worry about it. As long as your hammer hooks are in good shape (full cock and half cock) you will be fine. If you want you can even carry without a round in the chamber with the hammer back for a while to gain the comfort that it isn't going to release itself. Remember, in a PROPERLY maintained 1911 there are three things that need to happen before it will fire: thumb safety OFF, grip safety OFF, and trigger pulled. Impossible for all three things to happen in a properly maintained, and properly holstered 1911. Carry on my friend!

Quote Originally Posted by USMC1911-MilSpec View Post
    Almost impossible, I only say "almost" because if I said it was impossible somebody would have a story of it happening to a brothers cousin's husband or something. Carry condition 1 and don't even worry about it. As long as your hammer hooks are in good shape (full cock and half cock) you will be fine. If you want you can even carry without a round in the chamber with the hammer back for a while to gain the comfort that it isn't going to release itself. Remember, in a PROPERLY maintained 1911 there are three things that need to happen before it will fire: thumb safety OFF, grip safety OFF, and trigger pulled. Impossible for all three things to happen in a properly maintained, and properly holstered 1911. Carry on my friend!
    I mostly agree except for the carrying condition three as a learning experience. I think the condition of carry should be decided by the carrier, and consistent.

SOME 1911's will go off if dropped on the muzzle on a hard surface, whether cocked or not. Almost all NDs that happen that I know of are the result of booger finger in the trigger guard no matter what make of gun. They happen when the hand grips the frame, and the safety is off, and the finger touches the trigger when it is not supposed to. The three safeties mean and have absolutely no effect in stopping a ND. The brain is the most effective safety.

Most ND's are the result of brain farts. There are ways to minimize brain farts. Don't play with the gun while carrying. Don't play with the thumb safety while carrying. Don't touch the gun constantly as some people do. Don't keep your wallet, ID, credit card, phone, money anywhere near the same location as your firearm while carrying.

Remember Tex"I just ****ing shot myself" was carrying cocked and locked. I assume his grip safety was also working when he gripped his gun, took the thumb safety off, and pulled the trigger shooting himself in the leg. All clearly on video. It is a training video that ALL 1911 carriers should watch.

Carrying a unloaded gun is also a bad idea, because numerous gun ND happen with a supposed unloaded gun. If a person is going to carry condition 3 then is should be part of normal carry, not way of learning. The gun carrier should decide what is best, what they are comfortable with, and then carry that way only. All modes of carry are safe, until the carrier has a brain fart. Playing with less than the mode used is as dangerous as a loaded gun. I can hear it now at the ER, "But Doc, there wasn't a round in the chamber!"
    Last edited by WalkingWolf; 03-06-2013 at 12:30 PM.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post

Remember Tex"I just ****ing shot myself" was carrying cocked and locked. I assume his grip safety was also working when he gripped his gun, took the thumb safety off, and pulled the trigger shooting himself in the leg. All clearly on video. It is a training video that ALL 1911 carriers should watch.
    Yeah don't pull a Barney Fife.

If one in the pipe and carried condition 1 is something you're not comfortable with, you shouldn't carry a 1911. Cocked and locked without a round in the chamber may be a good way to get comfortable with condition 1 carry, but you should never go out in public with a weapon you are not comfortable carrying ready for use.

thats the two things i like in a gun, a hammer and double action trigger
    Luke 22:36 ; 36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

"guns are like a Parachute, if you don't have one when you need it, you will not need one again"
    - unknown

i you call a CHP a CCW then you are really stupid. period.

I mostly agree except for the carrying condition three as a learning experience. I think the condition of carry should be decided by the carrier, and consistent.

SOME 1911's will go off if dropped on the muzzle on a hard surface, whether cocked or not. Almost all NDs that happen that I know of are the result of booger finger in the trigger guard no matter what make of gun. They happen when the hand grips the frame, and the safety is off, and the finger touches the trigger when it is not supposed to. The three safeties mean and have absolutely no effect in stopping a ND. The brain is the most effective safety.
    True, and I agree. I was only addressing the concern of the hammer being bumped while in condition 3 and the gun firing.
    Last edited by USMC1911-MilSpec; 03-07-2013 at 11:45 PM.

it is not legal to carry with a bullet in the chamber.
    sooo what would that mean for folks w/ revolvers? rule fail.
    cw

Most ND's are the result of brain farts. There are ways to minimize brain farts. Don't play with the gun while carrying. Don't play with the thumb safety while carrying. Don't touch the gun constantly as some people do. Don't keep your wallet, ID, credit card, phone, money anywhere near the same location as your firearm while carrying.

Carrying a unloaded gun is also a bad idea, because numerous gun ND happen with a supposed unloaded gun. If a person is going to carry condition 3 then is should be part of normal carry, not way of learning. The gun carrier should decide what is best, what they are comfortable with, and then carry that way only. All modes of carry are safe, until the carrier has a brain fart. Playing with less than the mode used is as dangerous as a loaded gun. I can hear it now at the ER, "But Doc, there wasn't a round in the chamber!"
    With small children in the house, and as part of longtime habit, I always carry condition 3 (note: I do not carry a 1911). It takes me just as much time to rack while drawing as not...sometimes it barks some skin off the palm, but I take that as a small price for the seriousness of the action. Despite the way that I carry, I keep teaching my wife and kids that you treat ALL firearms as loaded and NEVER point them anywhere you do not want a bullet flying.

Also, consider me a little paranoid, but if I get someone trying to remove my pistol, it is likely that they will not know that there is no round ready to go for that critical little time slice while I attempt retrieval or retreat.

Nice little post for those new to carry:

http://everything2.com/title/Handgun...s+of+readiness
    Last edited by carolina guy; 03-09-2013 at 11:42 AM.
    If something is wrong for ONE person to do to another, it is still wrong if a BILLION people do it.

Quote Originally Posted by seaweaver1 View Post
    it is not legal to carry with a bullet in the chamber.
    sooo what would that mean for folks w/ revolvers? rule fail.
    cw
    That is not a true statement in NC. Please post a link or a cite to where you find anything that says you cannot carry with a round in the chamber in NC.
    If something is wrong for ONE person to do to another, it is still wrong if a BILLION people do it.

Quote Originally Posted by carolina guy View Post
    That is not a true statement in NC. Please post a link or a cite to where you find anything that says you cannot carry with a round in the chamber in NC.
    I think he was being sarcastic...
    Robert E. Lee
    President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by carolina guy View Post
    I'm sure seaweaver's intent was in quoting a small portion of the original post and then posing his question.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast