• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry with one in the pipe

Itch

I am new to posting here but I have been reading the forums for a month now.
I live in Davidson county and have had no problems with open carry around here, with one comment that it is not legal to carry with a bullet in the chamber.

Hope some of you have a good insight on this and any experience on this subject.

Hrcnsfan

Are you saying that Davidson County doesn't allow a round to be chambered? Can you tell us where that information comes from? I'm not arguing...just curious. I know there's no NC statute that prohibits carrying a round in the chamber.

March Hare

I am new to posting here but I have been reading the forums for a month now.
I live in Davidson county and have had no problems with open carry around here, with one comment that it is not legal to carry with a bullet in the chamber.

Hope some of you have a good insight on this and any experience on this subject.

Welcome to the forum, you can learn a lot from the people here.

Are you asking a question or making a statement above?
If it's a question, you will get an answer, if it's a statement, I believe the forum rules require a cite to authority.

I think your subject was covered in this thread: Can I have a loaded magazine while open carrying in NC?

-MH

Last edited:

nobama

You can carry however you want, loaded,unloaded,one in the pipe or not. Good you came here for further answers because alot of people just dont know. Welcome to the forum.

ncwabbit

welcome to the forum...

i am truly impressed that on your first posting you pulled them in from Washington state and Arizona...not too bad at all...

here is a site to assist in your quest(s) for knowledge in the Tarheel state http://www.ncleg.net/gascripts/statutes/statutes.asp which has very good search engine in the upper right side.

wabbit

PS: now everyone forgive me but i have to go there...

pps: did that scratch your 'itch' ?

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

You can carry however you want, loaded,unloaded,one in the pipe or not. Good you came here for further answers because alot of people just dont know. Welcome to the forum.
+1 Figure out what you are comfortable with, then don't worry about it. All modes are legal here in NC.

.40 Cal

State Researcher
Yes I carry an American Classic 1911 government model, by Metro Arms.

In that case, condition 1 is your only option (unless you can draw, rack and aim in the time it would take to defend yourself from an attacker). I had reservations when I first started to OC a 1911 because I thought it would scare people to see a hammer locked back into the "ready" position. You'd be surprised at how few people notice that aspect of the firearm. I did, however, have a guy at a gunstore tel me, "hey, do you know your hammer is back?" I found it funny when he had nothing to say after I said, "I know".

Itch

In that case, condition 1 is your only option (unless you can draw, rack and aim in the time it would take to defend yourself from an attacker). I had reservations when I first started to OC a 1911 because I thought it would scare people to see a hammer locked back into the "ready" position. You'd be surprised at how few people notice that aspect of the firearm. I did, however, have a guy at a gunstore tel me, "hey, do you know your hammer is back?" I found it funny when he had nothing to say after I said, "I know".

I have carried with the hammer back but most the time with the hammer down....
i'm not sure what is the safest my concern with the hammer down is that a force will mash the hammer and pin hard and make the shell fire..not even sure it can happen that way.
I have long fingers so it is not a problem to cock the hammer in mid draw.

And wabbit my itch is way to deep to be scratched...lol

USMC1911-MilSpec

I have carried with the hammer back but most the time with the hammer down....
i'm not sure what is the safest my concern with the hammer down is that a force will mash the hammer and pin hard and make the shell fire..not even sure it can happen that way.
I have long fingers so it is not a problem to cock the hammer in mid draw.

And wabbit my itch is way to deep to be scratched...lol

Almost impossible, I only say "almost" because if I said it was impossible somebody would have a story of it happening to a brothers cousin's husband or something. Carry condition 1 and don't even worry about it. As long as your hammer hooks are in good shape (full cock and half cock) you will be fine. If you want you can even carry without a round in the chamber with the hammer back for a while to gain the comfort that it isn't going to release itself. Remember, in a PROPERLY maintained 1911 there are three things that need to happen before it will fire: thumb safety OFF, grip safety OFF, and trigger pulled. Impossible for all three things to happen in a properly maintained, and properly holstered 1911. Carry on my friend!

WalkingWolf

Almost impossible, I only say "almost" because if I said it was impossible somebody would have a story of it happening to a brothers cousin's husband or something. Carry condition 1 and don't even worry about it. As long as your hammer hooks are in good shape (full cock and half cock) you will be fine. If you want you can even carry without a round in the chamber with the hammer back for a while to gain the comfort that it isn't going to release itself. Remember, in a PROPERLY maintained 1911 there are three things that need to happen before it will fire: thumb safety OFF, grip safety OFF, and trigger pulled. Impossible for all three things to happen in a properly maintained, and properly holstered 1911. Carry on my friend!
I mostly agree except for the carrying condition three as a learning experience. I think the condition of carry should be decided by the carrier, and consistent.

SOME 1911's will go off if dropped on the muzzle on a hard surface, whether cocked or not. Almost all NDs that happen that I know of are the result of booger finger in the trigger guard no matter what make of gun. They happen when the hand grips the frame, and the safety is off, and the finger touches the trigger when it is not supposed to. The three safeties mean and have absolutely no effect in stopping a ND. The brain is the most effective safety.

Most ND's are the result of brain farts. There are ways to minimize brain farts. Don't play with the gun while carrying. Don't play with the thumb safety while carrying. Don't touch the gun constantly as some people do. Don't keep your wallet, ID, credit card, phone, money anywhere near the same location as your firearm while carrying.

Remember Tex"I just ****ing shot myself" was carrying cocked and locked. I assume his grip safety was also working when he gripped his gun, took the thumb safety off, and pulled the trigger shooting himself in the leg. All clearly on video. It is a training video that ALL 1911 carriers should watch.

[video=youtube;paxk_LPmdMI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paxk_LPmdMI[/video]

Carrying a unloaded gun is also a bad idea, because numerous gun ND happen with a supposed unloaded gun. If a person is going to carry condition 3 then is should be part of normal carry, not way of learning. The gun carrier should decide what is best, what they are comfortable with, and then carry that way only. All modes of carry are safe, until the carrier has a brain fart. Playing with less than the mode used is as dangerous as a loaded gun. I can hear it now at the ER, "But Doc, there wasn't a round in the chamber!"

Last edited:

Itch

Remember Tex"I just ****ing shot myself" was carrying cocked and locked. I assume his grip safety was also working when he gripped his gun, took the thumb safety off, and pulled the trigger shooting himself in the leg. All clearly on video. It is a training video that ALL 1911 carriers should watch.

Yeah don't pull a Barney Fife.

.40 Cal

State Researcher
If one in the pipe and carried condition 1 is something you're not comfortable with, you shouldn't carry a 1911. Cocked and locked without a round in the chamber may be a good way to get comfortable with condition 1 carry, but you should never go out in public with a weapon you are not comfortable carrying ready for use.

USMC1911-MilSpec

I mostly agree except for the carrying condition three as a learning experience. I think the condition of carry should be decided by the carrier, and consistent.

SOME 1911's will go off if dropped on the muzzle on a hard surface, whether cocked or not. Almost all NDs that happen that I know of are the result of booger finger in the trigger guard no matter what make of gun. They happen when the hand grips the frame, and the safety is off, and the finger touches the trigger when it is not supposed to. The three safeties mean and have absolutely no effect in stopping a ND. The brain is the most effective safety.

True, and I agree. I was only addressing the concern of the hammer being bumped while in condition 3 and the gun firing.

Last edited: