• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry with one in the pipe

seaweaver1

it is not legal to carry with a bullet in the chamber.
sooo what would that mean for folks w/ revolvers? rule fail.
cw

carolina guy

I mostly agree except for the carrying condition three as a learning experience. I think the condition of carry should be decided by the carrier, and consistent.

SOME 1911's will go off if dropped on the muzzle on a hard surface, whether cocked or not. Almost all NDs that happen that I know of are the result of booger finger in the trigger guard no matter what make of gun. They happen when the hand grips the frame, and the safety is off, and the finger touches the trigger when it is not supposed to. The three safeties mean and have absolutely no effect in stopping a ND. The brain is the most effective safety.

Most ND's are the result of brain farts. There are ways to minimize brain farts. Don't play with the gun while carrying. Don't play with the thumb safety while carrying. Don't touch the gun constantly as some people do. Don't keep your wallet, ID, credit card, phone, money anywhere near the same location as your firearm while carrying.

Remember Tex"I just ****ing shot myself" was carrying cocked and locked. I assume his grip safety was also working when he gripped his gun, took the thumb safety off, and pulled the trigger shooting himself in the leg. All clearly on video. It is a training video that ALL 1911 carriers should watch.

[video=youtube;paxk_LPmdMI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paxk_LPmdMI[/video]

Carrying a unloaded gun is also a bad idea, because numerous gun ND happen with a supposed unloaded gun. If a person is going to carry condition 3 then is should be part of normal carry, not way of learning. The gun carrier should decide what is best, what they are comfortable with, and then carry that way only. All modes of carry are safe, until the carrier has a brain fart. Playing with less than the mode used is as dangerous as a loaded gun. I can hear it now at the ER, "But Doc, there wasn't a round in the chamber!"

With small children in the house, and as part of longtime habit, I always carry condition 3 (note: I do not carry a 1911). It takes me just as much time to rack while drawing as not...sometimes it barks some skin off the palm, but I take that as a small price for the seriousness of the action. Despite the way that I carry, I keep teaching my wife and kids that you treat ALL firearms as loaded and NEVER point them anywhere you do not want a bullet flying.

Also, consider me a little paranoid, but if I get someone trying to remove my pistol, it is likely that they will not know that there is no round ready to go for that critical little time slice while I attempt retrieval or retreat.

Nice little post for those new to carry:

http://everything2.com/title/Handgun+conditions+of+readiness

Last edited:

carolina guy

cw

That is not a true statement in NC. Please post a link or a cite to where you find anything that says you cannot carry with a round in the chamber in NC.

Hrcnsfan

That is not a true statement in NC. Please post a link or a cite to where you find anything that says you cannot carry with a round in the chamber in NC.

I'm sure seaweaver's intent was in quoting a small portion of the original post and then posing his question.

papa bear

cw

Actually SEA, you would have an empty chamber on the ready. but point being you don't have to have an empty chamber in NC

etrnlife

Sounds like Mayberry to me. Not having a round chambered is like Barney Fife walking around with unloaded revolver and the bullet in his shirt pocket.

WalkingWolf

Sounds like Mayberry to me. Not having a round chambered is like Barney Fife walking around with unloaded revolver and the bullet in his shirt pocket.

I believe most actors walk around in movies and tv with either unloaded or blanks for the shows.

YOU don't honestly believe that Barney Fife was a real person do you? I bet you heard it on the internet. Bonjour! :eek:

papa bear

i live in Mayberry and we have had a few "Barneys". we even had a sheriff Taylor one time. i could really tell you some stories

WalkingWolf

i live in Mayberry and we have had a few "Barneys". we even had a sheriff Taylor one time. i could really tell you some stories
I use to deliver in Mt. Airy from time to time, it hardly resembled Mayberry, a very bustling town. I believe all the deputies carried very loaded guns.

Last edited:

papa bear

I use to deliver in Mt. Airy from time to time, it hardly resembled Mayberry, a very bustling town. I believe all the deputies carried very loaded guns.

i've always said Dobson is really Maberry. county seat and all. then there are the references to Mt. Pilot, kind of a reference to Mt. airy and Pilot mtn

Greg Bradburn

With small children in the house, and as part of longtime habit, I always carry condition 3 (note: I do not carry a 1911). It takes me just as much time to rack while drawing as not...sometimes it barks some skin off the palm, but I take that as a small price for the seriousness of the action. Despite the way that I carry, I keep teaching my wife and kids that you treat ALL firearms as loaded and NEVER point them anywhere you do not want a bullet flying.

Also, consider me a little paranoid, but if I get someone trying to remove my pistol, it is likely that they will not know that there is no round ready to go for that critical little time slice while I attempt retrieval or retreat.

Nice little post for those new to carry:

http://everything2.com/title/Handgun+conditions+of+readiness

If it's good enough for the Massad it's good enough for you :)

I however carry condition 1. If I didn't I would, like you, carry condition 3. Lowering the hammer on a chambered round is just asking for trouble as far as I'm concerned which makes condition 2 bonehead stupid in my opinion.

ncwabbit

I however carry condition 1. If I didn't I would, like you, carry condition 3. Lowering the hammer on a chambered round is just asking for trouble as far as I'm concerned which makes condition 2 bonehead stupid in my opinion.

interesting to note in the website cited (http://everything2.com/title/Handgun+conditions+of+readiness), it states under the notes for condition 2: On a DA/SA pistol with a decocker, like the Variant 1 H&K USP, this is a safe and ready way to carry. It is point and click.

just a thought...

wabbit

ps: truly? believe you went with the 'if it is good enough for comment...especially since there are folk out there with the mantra "well it worked for the United Kingdom its good enough for us!!"

WalkingWolf

Condition 1 negligent discharge~~~Your turn...
[video=youtube;zYvAxLX6OzE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYvAxLX6OzE[/video]

WalkingWolf

[video=youtube;3FOTcUvFP3o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FOTcUvFP3o[/video]

Some people just should not handle guns let alone 1911's. Notice the gun was condition 0 NOT condition 2.

carolina guy

I carry an FM Hi-Power 9mm, so it can be carried Condition 1, but I also carry other pistols, and don't want a moment of hesitation about how each gun is carried...plus the safety factor of knowing that a dropped pistol cannot fire. Plus it is hard to underestimate the elimination of the "booger finger factor" as WW has been showing. ;)

Last edited:

Greg Bradburn

interesting to note in the website cited (http://everything2.com/title/Handgun+conditions+of+readiness), it states under the notes for condition 2: On a DA/SA pistol with a decocker, like the Variant 1 H&K USP, this is a safe and ready way to carry. It is point and click.

just a thought...

wabbit

ps: truly? believe you went with the 'if it is good enough for comment...especially since there are folk out there with the mantra "well it worked for the United Kingdom its good enough for us!!"

I thought we were talking about a 1911, not a DA/SA pistol with a decocker. I, like the overwhelming majority of 1911 owners, carry my Colt Defender 1911 condition 1 as it was designed to be carried. I carry my Beretta 92FS condition 2, which I believe is the safest way to carry that model.

My "if it is good enough for the Massad" comment was simply agreeing with the fella who carries without a round in the chamber that it is indeed a viable option, if you train that way (like the Massad). And the point he made about if somebody grabbed the gun they might not think to rack the slide to chamber a round. This was one of the main reasons I heard for the Massad carrying without a round in the chamber. They train so that it is second nature to rack the slide when drawing.

If you carry a 1911 or similar model and don't want to carry condition 1 than I would highly recommend this method rather than risk a ND dropping the hammer on a loaded round. Why take the risk? If you are going the take the time to cock the hammer when drawing you might as well take the time to rack the slide without tempting fate by dropping the hammer on a loaded round.

This is not about trying to control people it's just a safety tip, like "look both ways before crossing the street". If you don't want to take my advice that's your prerogative but don't cry to me when you get hit by a car. :)

carolina guy

I thought we were talking about a 1911, not a DA/SA pistol with a decocker. I, like the overwhelming majority of 1911 owners, carry my Colt Defender 1911 condition 1 as it was designed to be carried. I carry my Beretta 92FS condition 2, which I believe is the safest way to carry that model.

My "if it is good enough for the Massad" comment was simply agreeing with the fella who carries without a round in the chamber that it is indeed a viable option, if you train that way (like the Massad). And the point he made about if somebody grabbed the gun they might not think to rack the slide to chamber a round. This was one of the main reasons I heard for the Massad carrying without a round in the chamber. They train so that it is second nature to rack the slide when drawing.

If you carry a 1911 or similar model and don't want to carry condition 1 than I would highly recommend this method rather than risk a ND dropping the hammer on a loaded round. Why take the risk? If you are going the take the time to cock the hammer when drawing you might as well take the time to rack the slide without tempting fate by dropping the hammer on a loaded round.

This is not about trying to control people it's just a safety tip, like "look both ways before crossing the street". If you don't want to take my advice that's your prerogative but don't cry to me when you get hit by a car. :)

Practice, practice and practice. How you control for variables is up to each person who carries.