• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

No longer donating blood

07yzryder

Unfortunately ill no longer be donating blood as they do not allow open carry at united blood services. I emailed today to see what their stance was as im scheduled to donate a double red, and was told that it is not allowed while donating because they do not want to be responsible for what happens in the event someone passes out. I responded by letting him know i understand his stance and that he could explain that to the 3 lives lost at each interval im allowed to donate that they did not have blood because of their decision to not allow me to legally carry a firearm.

So ill follow through on my appointment today but will no longer be donating.

Edit: i got another email response saying that firearms are welcome just not at the time of donating, and if someone else holds the firearm its not an issue. unfortunately this does effect me as my brother is the only one i know and he donates with me so no more blood from me.

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
I know a carrier who was recently drug-tested, the sample given at a private clinic.

To prevent druggies from substituting clean samples for their own urine, the carrier was required to empty all his pockets into a lockable steel container to which he was given the key.

Perhaps the blood donation center would provide a similar box for a carrier. Or, perhaps you could take along a small fireproof safe for documents, just big enough to hold the gun.

EMNofSeattle

.......Well,,,,,,,,,,

Why did you email them first,,,,,,,

............if you ask, they say no always!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's legal!!!!!! Just show up carrying,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and let them reject you in person......

Bmeierholtz

Edit: i got another email response saying that firearms are welcome just not at the time of donating, and if someone else holds the firearm its not an issue.

Very interesting, isn't it more dangerous to be HANDLING a loaded gun than if it is left untouched in a holster? Wait, they must be using logic from the O'Bummer book!

07yzryder

Edit: i got another email response saying that firearms are welcome just not at the time of donating, and if someone else holds the firearm its not an issue.

Very interesting, isn't it more dangerous to be HANDLING a loaded gun than if it is left untouched in a holster? Wait, they must be using logic from the O'Bummer book!

I thought of this as well but could not think of a nice way of saying that i carry a gun cocked and locked and the highest probability of a ND is during unholstering. The only time i will unholster is during a confrontation or to put it away at night. But i let it be.

As far as showing up i should have but i was going with my brother and didnt want to sit outside on my bike for over an hour while he donated.

Bmeierholtz

Feel free to use it with my blessing anytime you are asked to take it out of the holster it then.
:)