Thread: Burdick says she canceled town hall after threats

Banned

Burdick says she canceled town hall after threats

Burdick says she canceled town hall after threats
    http://www.katu.com/politics/Burdick...195504991.html

SALEM, Ore. - State Sen. Ginny Burdick, D-Portland, says she's creeped out by the video posted on YouTube of her doing chores around her home.

The anonymous poster wrote that Burdick lied about why she canceled a town hall on gun control at Portland State University.

KATU News asked Burdick Wednesday why she said there was a scheduling conflict when the video shows she stayed at home.

She said her office has been getting thousands of threatening and hostile emails about antigun bills.

She sent KATU News a few examples. One talked about lynching, another mentioned Hitler and Stalin. Burdick says it would have been foolish to hold a town hall in that kind of environment on a college campus.

"I've had town halls crashed by the extremist gun lobbyists before," she said. "They do not make life pleasant when they do that. They're disruptive and rude, and I didn't want to subject the students at Portland State to that kind of behavior."

She said there will be other town hall meetings scheduled.

Burdick called the police after she saw the YouTube video.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff. State View Post

"I've had town halls crashed by the extremist gun lobbyists before," she said. "They do not make life pleasant when they do that. They're disruptive and rude, and I didn't want to subject the students at Portland State to that kind of behavior."

:
    People whose rights you want to take away are RUDE? How inconvenient for you..

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    (smile) Being disruptive and rude are unAmerican (smile) and likely unconstitutional (smile).

We can't be causing other people to have hurt feelings (smile).

Just smiling a lot - it works for me (smile)
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Re: Burdick says she canceled town hall after threats

So what did she think the "occupoopers" were doing who crapped all over the place downtown? Just expressing their 1'st amendment right?

Quote Originally Posted by Cremator75 View Post
    So what did she think the "occupoopers" were doing who crapped all over the place downtown? Just expressing their 1'st amendment right?
    Dang, you beat me to it.

So what GB is saying is that she doesn't like it when THE PEOPLE express their opinion.
    "The Second Amendment speaks nothing to an unfettered Right". (Post # 100)
    "Restrictions are not infringements. Bans are infringements.--if it reaches beyond Reasonable bans". (Post # 103)
    Beretta92FSLady
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...ons-Bill/page5

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, nothing in any of my posts should be considered legal advice. If you need legal advice, consult a reputable attorney, not an internet forum.

Quote Originally Posted by We-the-People View Post
    Dang, you beat me to it.

So what GB is saying is that she doesn't like it when THE PEOPLE express their opinion.
    No, you may express your opinion openly and freely as long as the opinion you express was issued to you by GB. In Oregon it seems there is a fair number of citizens who have opinions issued to them by liberals such as GB.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

...can the idiots just go to syria or something?

wow. she is an ugly woman.

I think we all (every member of OCDO and every other gun enthusiast in Oregon) need to "hug a liberal" and convert them to the right side. My formerly liberal girlfriend was converted by simply explaining to her the US Supreme Court case law that......No Virgina, the state has no obligation to protect you, only to protect society in general...... when I explained that if 4 cops (more in a bigger city) are on duty and more 911 calls for assitance than cops come it, they have to decide which to go to the light clicked on.

She now has her concealed weapons permit AND OC's a 357 magnum (can't cycle a slide due to wrist problems) revolver daily.....even at work (she's the GM).

She's come a long way from her "liberal" beliefs when I met her and now actually (though reluctantly) admits to being a libertarian....just don't call her a conservative....she even voted for Ron Paul!!!!!!!!!

If we ALL do this, pretty soon there won't be a viable threat to the 2nd amendment!!!!!!

Remember....just ask them "what if there are X cops on duty and X + 1 (or 2 or 3 or....) 911 calls come in.....do they want to wait if their the one that's put at the bottom of "the list".
    "Restrictions are not infringements. Bans are infringements.--if it reaches beyond Reasonable bans". (Post # 103)
    Beretta92FSLady

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, nothing in any of my posts should be considered legal advice. If you need legal advice, consult a reputable attorney, not an internet forum.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by We-the-People View Post
    I think we all (every member of OCDO and every other gun enthusiast in Oregon) need to "hug a liberal" and convert them to the right side. .
    Only one way to convert a liberal so that they are not spewing forth their anti-amercian crap ... and it aint pretty

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Only one way to convert a liberal so that they are not spewing forth their anti-amercian crap ... and it aint pretty
    I think you might be surprised at how many "liberals" are only liberals because they THINK they are liberals. If they will discuss belief systems with you a large number of them find out that they are a lot more libertarian than they are the stereotypical (i.e. leftist and/or democrat) liberal. The key questions (I think) are:
    1) Should government dictate your personal activities if no adults are harmed?
    This goes to the "liberal" belief that minorities (gays, lezbians, blacks, asians, etc) rights, legalization of marijuana, and other libertarian beliefs
    2) Are you aware of the SCOTUS decisions that the police do NOT have an obligation to protect any individual but only society?

There are a number of good questions to ask on any of a number of "political beliefs" tests on the internet. A LOT of liberals I've gotten to take them have ended up in the libertarian area of the spectrum......just don't tell them that means CONSERAVATIVE. LOL
    Beretta92FSLady

A lot of people vote for democrats, not because they hate guns, but because they're in favor of other political issues, like abortion, gay rights, less wars, environment, etc. In much of the country, pro-gun democrat politicians would do just as well as the anti-gun ones (there just aren't as many), and pro-abortion, pro-gay, pro-gun fiscal conservatives could win a lot of elections that have been going to party line democrats.

I would never vote for an anti-gun candidate, but there are a lot of voters who just tow the party line based on other issues.