• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Community Forum tonight (3/6) in Middletown by Gov Malloy

motoxmann

I didn't see anyone post this yet, I received this info a couple days ago:

Governor Malloy to hold Community Forum in Middletown
If Governor Malloy wants to hear from the public on important issues, what could be more important than our rights?

Connecticut, March 6th, 2013:

It looks like our chance to be heard by Governor Malloy with regards to his desperate proposal full of gun bans is upon us.

From the article:

Gov. Dannel P. Malloy Monday announced plans for another statewide tour — a community forum on Wednesday evening in Middletown “to discuss the state’s pressing issues face-to-face with state residents.”

Governor Malloy is quoted in the article:

We have a number of critically important issues facing the state, and I am eager for the opportunity to hear from residents about their concerns, so that we can move forward together. The last two years, I attended more than thirty events like this at venues across the state. I think being out there, talking with people face-to-face so that we can have an open exchange and I can hear what is on their minds helps all of us in government be more effective at serving the people we represent.

This forum will take place on Wednesday, March 6th at the Middletown City Hall at 245 deKoven Drive and will run from 7-8PM.

If you plan to speak or ask a question, you will need to arrive early to sign in.

Read more about Governor Malloy’s tour: http://courantblogs.com/capitol-watch/dueling-politicos-gov-malloy-announces-his-own-tour/

motoxmann

Well this is absolutely rediculous. They're not allowing people to speak at all. They're having us put questions on cards that will be thrown in a hat, then the governor will read them and answer them

motoxmann

that meeting pissed me off. I got up and walked out before it even ended.

I will say though, Malloy yet again managed to fail to answer most of the questions, and instead just rambled on about misleading information that was barely related to the topic/question at hand, and very firmly spoke multiple times about how his personal opinion matters more than anyone else's

davidmcbeth

Banned
Is there a connect to OC or RKBA somewhere in this? If so, please include it.

Uhhh because the democrats and GOP legislators want to basically increase the places you cannot carry, limit the guns you can carry, etc..

You can read all the bills pending if you have about 24 hrs available (over 90+ bills regarding gun control in CT)...or just take the OP's viewpoint that it does belong here ... I think so...

davidmcbeth

Banned
that meeting pissed me off. I got up and walked out before it even ended.

I will say though, Malloy yet again managed to fail to answer most of the questions, and instead just rambled on about misleading information that was barely related to the topic/question at hand, and very firmly spoke multiple times about how his personal opinion matters more than anyone else's

Of course it did ... what kind of meeting did you expect? It's Malloy ... I yelled at him last time I saw him at the Capitol, calling him some choice names....he was about 10 ft from me....we are goood friends...

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Uhhh because the democrats and GOP legislators want to basically increase the places you cannot carry, limit the guns you can carry, etc..

You can read all the bills pending if you have about 24 hrs available (over 90+ bills regarding gun control in CT)...or just take the OP's viewpoint that it does belong here ... I think so...

Others are not mind readers - a word or two can be most informative.

motoxmann

Is there a connect to OC or RKBA somewhere in this? If so, please include it.

as david said, the governor is proposing a very large list of anti-2a bills, very similar to the laws recently passed in NY. one of the bills he is also very strongly pushing for though is making a DUI conviction one of the criteria for banning a person from owning/possessing/carrying any firearm for 5 YEARS after the date of conviction. then after the 5 years is up they are eligible again. but he also knows that you cannot let your pistol permit lapse for more than 90 days, otherwise you need to completely re-apply. and on the new application you will need to list your DUI conviction, which in our may issue state can do some damage to your chances of ever getting your pistol permit again.
so basically, he is proposing disarming, and confiscating from, anyone with a DUI conviction within the last 5 years, potentially also causing them to never own a firearm ever again, and as he talks about it he is mostly referring to handguns and the carrying of handguns.

hope that helps.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Didn't mean to appear personally critical of anyone - was just trying to connect the dots.

Its obvious from what you said that you've got a handfull with which to deal - good luck.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Didn't mean to appear personally critical of anyone - was just trying to connect the dots.

Its obvious from what you said that you've got a handfull with which to deal - good luck.

I understand ... our legislature's committees, in their infinite wisdom (or stupidity), have sat on many of the bills w/o bring them out for public hearings (I assume because they were afraid to hear what people think) and now have missed their deadlines required for moving the vast majority of the bills any further...

But now want to compile a omnibus bill for an emergency certification process (like NY did) ... the legislature created a "task force" in JAN to come up with a set of proposals (about 30 legislators of a special committee) but the task force could not reach an agreement and TWO sets of proposals were the result this month. Now they got their heads so far up their butts they don't know what to do ...

I'm sure they'll do some type of e-cert (which is actually more strict than NY's process).

motoxmann

I took no offense, I know the forum rules for the most part haha

yah, ur tellin me. CT is pretty much trying to one-up NY, they're trying to be a model for the entire country, especially due to the incident that happened right here in CT. it's an uphill battle for sure, even though most of the proposals are known to be unconstitutional even by modern case law.

motoxmann

a report on tonight's meeting:

http://www.ctnow.com/hc-middletown-malloy-forum-0307-20130306,0,657526.story

FUQ:

"On the first stop in a series of community meetings Wednesday, Gov. Dannel P. Malloy fielded questions on gun control, education, the elimination of the car tax and a proposal to open an inmate nursing home in Rocky Hill.
In a one-hour session in the council chambers of city hall, Malloy answered questions from 11 people. Lt Gov. Nancy Wyman also attended.
Mayor Daniel Drew said topics for questions were selected before the meeting from short questionnaires to allow the governor to cover a broad range of issues.
Malloy answered two questions about gun control, and said he is seeking a "common sense approach" on limiting access to assault weapons..."

you gotta read the details about the questions and Malloy's replies...

davidmcbeth

Banned
Good link ... hey, my military unit killed way more than 20 kids .... they got medals ... (the children being killed does not move me obviously)

I would have asked (but never got an answer): you ever read the US v. Miller opinion and case briefs? Because the gov't said we can have military grade arms and so did the court. So you have no respect for the highest court in the land, why should I respect any law you want to pass that conflicts with our highest court?

Last edited:

motoxmann

oh trust me, I had plenty of things very well planned out ahead of time, it's a shame I didn't get to speak. I would have made a complete fool of the guvna.

in fact, one of the two gun-questioners did shake his boots a little:
(not word for word identical, but as best as I can remember...)

Q: "my biggest concern is your proposed 10 round magazine capacity limit. almost all modern handguns, besides '19's' which are from a century ago anyhow, come with mags greater than 10 rounds. you have your own private security detail, several men, who protect you and only you. you pay them to protect you with guns. I assume they all carry guns. they are well trained. you want to exempt yourself and all of them from the 10 round mag limit."

malloy: "yes"

Q: "Do you consider your life more valuable than mine??"

malloy: "...NO. *very long pause, jaw dropped, facial expression stuck in "think of something! quick!" very long pause continues* ... What I am trying to pass is common sense measures. the people have voiced their opinion that I should propose common sense measures, and these are common sense measures"

[the look on his face during this was priceless, he really had no idea how to react to that question, he was completely shocked and out of his element attempting to conjure up a reply. I can only imagine what his reaction would have been had I had the chance to ask my questions.]

further on from the same questioner as above...:
Malloy: "I personally have seen the gun used in Newtown. it's an assault weapon"

Q: "no, it's a modern sporting rifle"

Malloy: "You're entitled to your own opinion, but I disagree. If that's not an assault weapon, I don't know what is, quite frankly. It killed 20 children and it killed six teachers"
[and you can see the reply to this in the link I posted above]

Last edited: