Thread: N.C to S.C laws

N.C to S.C laws

I open carry in my state of N.C.
    I don't not have a CCW so when I come and visit S.C in a few days is it legal for me to put my loaded handgun in the glove box when I cross the state line? I don't need any trouble if I get pulled for anything an tell the officer I have a gun in the glove box.

I am no authority, but here is my understanding: SC is not an Open Carry state. They only allow handguns to be carried in a concealed manner and the person must have permit. However, numerous exceptions to this policy exist. One of those exceptions is as follows: a person in a vehicle if the handgun is secured in a closed glove compartment, closed console, closed trunk, or in a closed container secured by an integral fastener and transported in the luggage compartment of the vehicle; however, this item is not violated if the glove compartment, console, or trunk is opened in the presence of a law enforcement officer for the sole purpose of retrieving a driver’s license, registration, or proof of insurance;
    Source of info: http://www.sled.sc.gov/SCStateGunLaws1.aspx?MenuID=CWP

So sounds like you are okay if you leave your gun in the glove box.

For your own safety I would suggest carrying your vehicle registration and insurance seperate from your firearm. Reaching for a glove box with a gun in it just does not sound healthy, if you know what I mean. If your glove box is locked with no PC the police cannot legally search it, unless you let them, or tell them there is a gun in it.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Doesn't SC have an OC law working its way through the legislature? I would hope they pass it, because I would think that no OC and only licensed CC would be a violation of the 2A given recent rulings....
    If something is wrong for ONE person to do to another, it is still wrong if a BILLION people do it.

Quote Originally Posted by carolina guy View Post
    Doesn't SC have an OC law working its way through the legislature? I would hope they pass it, because I would think that no OC and only licensed CC would be a violation of the 2A given recent rulings....
    I believe they are going for constitutional carry~~there is a thread in the SC sub forum I believe.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...tutional-Carry
    Last edited by WalkingWolf; 03-06-2013 at 10:11 PM.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

CCWs are illegal in SC as well as NC. now you can carry a handgun concealed if you have a CHP (Concealed Handgun Permit) NC does have reciprocity with SC

check with the forum's main page for state laws
    Luke 22:36 ; 36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

"guns are like a Parachute, if you don't have one when you need it, you will not need one again"
    - unknown

i you call a CHP a CCW then you are really stupid. period.