• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

N.C to S.C laws

Itch

I open carry in my state of N.C.
I don't not have a CCW so when I come and visit S.C in a few days is it legal for me to put my loaded handgun in the glove box when I cross the state line? I don't need any trouble if I get pulled for anything an tell the officer I have a gun in the glove box.

sageone

I am no authority, but here is my understanding: SC is not an Open Carry state. They only allow handguns to be carried in a concealed manner and the person must have permit. However, numerous exceptions to this policy exist. One of those exceptions is as follows: a person in a vehicle if the handgun is secured in a closed glove compartment, closed console, closed trunk, or in a closed container secured by an integral fastener and transported in the luggage compartment of the vehicle; however, this item is not violated if the glove compartment, console, or trunk is opened in the presence of a law enforcement officer for the sole purpose of retrieving a driver’s license, registration, or proof of insurance;
Source of info: http://www.sled.sc.gov/SCStateGunLaws1.aspx?MenuID=CWP

So sounds like you are okay if you leave your gun in the glove box.

WalkingWolf

For your own safety I would suggest carrying your vehicle registration and insurance seperate from your firearm. Reaching for a glove box with a gun in it just does not sound healthy, if you know what I mean. If your glove box is locked with no PC the police cannot legally search it, unless you let them, or tell them there is a gun in it.

carolina guy

Doesn't SC have an OC law working its way through the legislature? I would hope they pass it, because I would think that no OC and only licensed CC would be a violation of the 2A given recent rulings....

WalkingWolf

Last edited:

papa bear

CCWs are illegal in SC as well as NC. now you can carry a handgun concealed if you have a CHP (Concealed Handgun Permit) NC does have reciprocity with SC

check with the forum's main page for state laws