Thread: Warsaw to talk about ordinance 131 Monday/KC3 suit

Warsaw to talk about ordinance 131 Monday/KC3 suit

Stopped by Warsaw city hall today and asked If city ordinance 131 was still on the books.
    Was told that it is but that at Mondays city meeting they will be talking about repealing it.
    There was a LEO there when I walked in OCing with thigh holster and 1911.
    Not one word about it from anyone They are learning.
    Just to make sure I can OC at the meeting?
    This is the reason KC3 is sueing.

131.02 CONCEALED WEAPONS UPON CITY PROPERTY.
    (A) A person is guilty of carrying a concealed weapon upon the City of Warsaw property when he carries a concealed firearm upon his person upon City of Warsaw property without legal authority to do so.

(B) To be effective, this prohibition and violation must be posted in a reasonable manner.

(Ord. 1996.007, passed 7-8-96)

131.03 VIOLATION.
    Violation of 131.02 of this chapter is a Class A misdemeanor as defined by the Kentucky Revised Statutes.

(Ord. 1996.007, passed 7-8-96)

Mike

when he carries a concealed firearm upon his person upon City of Warsaw property without legal authority to do so

Wouldn't a CCDW be "legal authority to do so", since concealed carry is illegal without a license?

Quote Originally Posted by flb_78 View Post
    when he carries a concealed firearm upon his person upon City of Warsaw property without legal authority to do so

Wouldn't a CCDW be "legal authority to do so", since concealed carry is illegal without a license?
    I believe that this would be the case however,

The problem is 65.870 only allows ordinances that are specificilly authorized by state law, which the only known statue is 237.115 which allows the regulation of cc in BUILDINGS that the city or county ownes and the ordinace cannot attach a criminal penalty.

This ordinance goes beyond what is allowed by trying to regulate CC on all city property and makes the offence a Class A misdemeanor

Warsaw to talk about ordinance 131 Monday/KC3 suit

Buildings is the key word. Not property.

All they did was to have the first reading of the motion to repeal 131.2 and 3.
    I do not understand this. If its against KRS 65.870 shouldn't it just be dropped w/o all the BS.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by ps1mhd View Post
    All they did was to have the first reading of the motion to repeal 131.2 and 3.
    I do not understand this. If its against KRS 65.870 shouldn't it just be dropped w/o all the BS.

Mike
    Forgot I was OC. Sheriff and other LEOs were there.
    Talked with others only positive responds or questions about my firearm.

Mike