Thread: 50cal AK47s

50cal AK47s

I figured you guys would get a laugh out of this

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2013/...res-next-year/

Engineers shot test tires with 50-caliber rounds from an AK-47...
    I'd love to see that version of the AK47...

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Link goes to flat proof tires
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Sorry yes, I guess I should have given more info than just the relevant part to this post since the article isn't about the gun. In testing the flat-proof tires they ran it through military-grade tests which part of that testing was shooting it with the "50cal AK47." Apparently after the tests like being shot and driven on the "NPTs" (non-pnuematic tires) worked effectively while the standard tires ended up with 3 flats across two ATVs.

The quoted part is 50-75% down the article I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Aknazer View Post
    Sorry yes, I guess I should have given more info than just the relevant part to this post since the article isn't about the gun. In testing the flat-proof tires they ran it through military-grade tests which part of that testing was shooting it with the "50cal AK47." Apparently after the tests like being shot and driven on the "NPTs" (non-pnuematic tires) worked effectively while the standard tires ended up with 3 flats across two ATVs.

The quoted part is 50-75% down the article I believe.
    My bad - I didn't read far enough down.

Good example of where a Fair Use Quote would have helped:

To make sure the NPT can withstand long-term abuse, it was put through military-grade testing. Engineers shot test tires with 50-caliber rounds from an AK-47 and then subjected them to 5,000 hours of off-roading.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2013/...#ixzz2Mp1LBHPu

BTW - had to look it up as I'd never heard of the beast & now we are into long gun limitations on OCDO, though this thread is about tires.....not LG. : )
    http://www.militaryfirearm.com/Forum...3-AK-47-50-cal
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 03-06-2013 at 10:51 PM.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Probably one of these guys:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6P62

Quote Originally Posted by marshaul View Post
    Probably one of these guys:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6P62
    Ya, that's actually what Grapeshot linked too, just from a different forum.

Though those weapons aren't actual AK47s even though they have the iconic look. Which was where I was going with it in regards to another incident of the media having no clue what they're talking about. Either it's an AK47 that shoots 7.62x39 or it's a 6P62/KPB-12.7 gun. Though the airless tire is pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Aknazer View Post
    Ya, that's actually what Grapeshot linked too, just from a different forum.

Though those weapons aren't actual AK47s even though they have the iconic look. Which was where I was going with it in regards to another incident of the media having no clue what they're talking about. Either it's an AK47 that shoots 7.62x39 or it's a 6P62/KPB-12.7 gun. Though the airless tire is pretty cool.
    Oh yeah, I didn't even notice that link.

But yeah, most people's gun ignorance is an endless source of entertainment. Most people seem to think jumping over hay bales is something gun owners probably do on a regular basis.

I typically sit on hay bales, around a fire pit.....with a mason jar in one hand. Not inclined to jump over a hay bale, especially after having been holding a mason jar in one hand.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    I typically sit on hay bales, around a fire pit.....with a mason jar in one hand. Not inclined to jump over a hay bale, especially after having been holding a mason jar in one hand.
    Under the circumstances, I would prefer a less flammable place to sit while holding an accelerant.

Going to check my mason jar inventory, I better not be missing any!
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Yeah, that's much more my speed.