• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Finally, someone asked me about my gun.

Pulp

I was in the Hugo WalMart today buying a box of ammo. They actually had two boxes of .45ACP. Anyway, the clerk said, "Your hammer is back." "Pardon?" says I. "Your hammer is back, why do you carry it like that?"

So pointed out the grip safety, told him about the thumb safety, and how getting a proper grip releases the grip safety and once the gun is clear and coming to target, releasing the thumb safety. He seemed to like the idea once he understood it.

Then I told him that the 1911 was a 100+ year old design, but if it was good enough for WWI, WWII, Korea, Vietnam, Iraq and Afghanistan, it was good enough for me.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
I was in the Hugo WalMart today buying a box of ammo. They actually had two boxes of .45ACP. Anyway, the clerk said, "Your hammer is back." "Pardon?" says I. "Your hammer is back, why do you carry it like that?"

So pointed out the grip safety, told him about the thumb safety, and how getting a proper grip releases the grip safety and once the gun is clear and coming to target, releasing the thumb safety. He seemed to like the idea once he understood it.

Then I told him that the 1911 was a 100+ year old design, but if it was good enough for WWI, WWII, Korea, Vietnam, Iraq and Afghanistan, it was good enough for me.

Haha! At least that one turned out well.

I had a guy come up to me a couple years back and start running off at the mouth about his Gold Cup and how at his elitist gun club nobody would carry a 1911 condition one, blah blah blah (the guy really just would not shut up). I was ever polite, but I was sorely tempted to tell him to mind his own business. Instead, I explained that, as surely a 1911 owner like him would know, the thumb safety is extremely effective and secure at blocking movement of the sear, and it fact non-series 80 1911s are actually more likely to fire when dropped with the hammer down, etc etc etc. All to no avail.

I switched to a leather thumb-break style holster (from my SERPA, which broke) a little over a year ago. Since then, I haven't had any remarks about the state of my hammer. Which is just as well... what a boring conversation. (yawn)

Last edited:

bmpnridr

Yet nobody says anything to someone when they carry a striker fired pistol? Me carrying my Glock 22 with one n the chamber is just as "unsafe" lol

"Excuse me,your hammer is back on your pistol. That's unsafe"
"Yes, I hope it is"

Aknazer

Yet nobody says anything to someone when they carry a striker fired pistol? Me carrying my Glock 22 with one n the chamber is just as "unsafe" lol

"Excuse me,your hammer is back on your pistol. That's unsafe"
"Yes, I hope it is"

This would require them to have a clue about guns to even know what a "striker fired pistol" even is. Not to mention that I don't know of any guns that can safely lower the striker when a round is in the tube.

Fallschirjmäger

"Hey, buddy? Buddy! HEY!! Yeah, you. Did you know the striker on your Glock is back? Yeah, it is, that's dangerous y'know. You shouldn't be walkin' around with your striker back like that, what do you think you are, some kinda cowboy?"

carracer

The only place I have ever been kicked out of was a "Cowboy Fast Draw" contest. I was a spectator in the stands and one of the members came up and asked if it was loaded. Told me they don't allow live ammunition on the premises. Then he looked down and saw I was cocked and locked. He freaked out and jumped up and back yelling "and it's cocked!" Nearly fell down as he was asking me to leave.

One of the other members later told me he says he was a "Seal". I find that hard to believe.

Fallschirjmäger

Everybody's always a former Seal, Green Beret, Pararescue. How come nobody ever wants to be just a cook?
undersiege-oscar.jpg

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
I am a member of Rainbow Six.

Not to mention the Sergeant of the Rapid Tactical Force at one of America's largest indoor retail shopping areas. With MP5s.

Ah, Gecko45 lives on...

I carry my 1911s in Condition One and nobody has ever said anything to me about the hammer being back...of most people would probably call it the thing in the back that goes up.

Elm Creek Smith

I always get asked about my handgun open carried at work. "Is that a revolver?" The other security officers carry Glocks. If my boss is around, he says, "He's very good with it."

I carry revolvers off duty as well, usually concealed, but if I take off my jacket I don't worry about it.

ECS

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Glock 1st fan

I always get asked about my handgun open carried at work. "Is that a revolver?" The other security officers carry Glocks. If my boss is around, he says, "He's very good with it."

I carry revolvers off duty as well, usually concealed, but if I take off my jacket I don't worry about it.

ECS

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

You know like a lot of us folks born in the 70s or earlier I grew up really only seeing one semi auto. (Not to say more wasnt out there) but the 1911 was the mainstay of semi autos in the early years. Most people did not even carry semi autos as the revolvers reliability (Of course name sake applied such as colt smith and wesson etc...) is top notch. The revolver is such a simple design that it basicly is almost fail safe. I still recall police departments and even the military in some cases using revolvers.

My point of my post is even though me and most every one my age or older (I am a 70s baby) grew up with revolvers and know them like the back of our hands. They are far superior to semi autos in reliability with so much that it can make them dangerous with hangfire situations.

I taught a class along with my fellow instructors a few weeks ago in which we had 6 students some of which were military men and veterans who had combat experience in the gulf war. Taking it for granted they were hardened and seasoned firearms veterans my fellow instructor asked if they wanted to shoot his revolver and allowed all 6 to do so. We virtually had to show the students how to empty the handgun and how to load the handguns. I to say the least was a little shocked that in my career and experience we had to master the revolver before we could even begin to work with the semi autos. I guess times have changed in the last 17 years LOL.

My opinion (And its only an opinion) is that the .357 is still one of the most impressive and most powerful all around bullet on the market for a handgun though and I will swear by it too that if they could harness the full capability of the .357 mag. in a semi auto I would carry nothing but the .357

Revolvers may be the grandpa of handguns and out of date by todays standards but round for round they can spank a semi auto most any time of the day.

WalkingWolf

You know like a lot of us folks born in the 70s or earlier I grew up really only seeing one semi auto. (Not to say more wasnt out there) but the 1911 was the mainstay of semi autos in the early years. Most people did not even carry semi autos as the revolvers reliability (Of course name sake applied such as colt smith and wesson etc...) is top notch. The revolver is such a simple design that it basicly is almost fail safe. I still recall police departments and even the military in some cases using revolvers.

My point of my post is even though me and most every one my age or older (I am a 70s baby) grew up with revolvers and know them like the back of our hands. They are far superior to semi autos in reliability with so much that it can make them dangerous with hangfire situations.

I taught a class along with my fellow instructors a few weeks ago in which we had 6 students some of which were military men and veterans who had combat experience in the gulf war. Taking it for granted they were hardened and seasoned firearms veterans my fellow instructor asked if they wanted to shoot his revolver and allowed all 6 to do so. We virtually had to show the students how to empty the handgun and how to load the handguns. I to say the least was a little shocked that in my career and experience we had to master the revolver before we could even begin to work with the semi autos. I guess times have changed in the last 17 years LOL.

My opinion (And its only an opinion) is that the .357 is still one of the most impressive and most powerful all around bullet on the market for a handgun though and I will swear by it too that if they could harness the full capability of the .357 mag. in a semi auto I would carry nothing but the .357

Revolvers may be the grandpa of handguns and out of date by todays standards but round for round they can spank a semi auto most any time of the day.

I prefer my revolver to a semi auto, and it is only 38 spl and not even plus P. I shot a couple weeks ago at a local outdoor range and was amazed at how many folks were having problems with their semi autos, about 2 out of 10 shooters. I believe it was probably mostly due to ammo, but I certainly hope these folks were not depending their lives on guns that failed that much. My 1911 works every time, but I still prefer my old 1851 colt cartridge conversion. Just gotta love showing off a target from off hand shooting with a 3 to 4 inch group/hole for 50 rounds, except for the smiley face I shot in the head.

When I carry a 1911, I carry the same way I carry a SA centerfire revolver, hammer down. Firing is the same as the revolver, draw, align target, cock and fire. I have never saw, heard, or believe of such a thing as a condition 2 1911 going off from a bump, claims of such are scat and lies. But I also believe everybody should carry how they are most comfortable. Anybody wants to complain can go boink themselves, I really do not care for the whining. And I never engage a stranger in how I carry, that is just as dumb as the stranger making remarks on something that clearly is none of their business.

Here would be my response to your hammer is back~~"So it is" and that is it. If they continue~"Try minding your own business". As far as the quick draw rules used to be that nobody is loaded with live ammunition, NOBODY. For SASS only those on the firing line are loaded with live ammo. Private property, rules of the club, don't like it, find another hobby.

Pulp

Re the sarcasm remarks I think there may have been a couple of posts pulled from this thread, I'm pretty sure I remember a couple of posts from an "expert" that were condescending to myself and others. I didn't get involved, I just let him gloat in his glory.

Sorcice

This would require them to have a clue about guns to even know what a "striker fired pistol" even is. Not to mention that I don't know of any guns that can safely lower the striker when a round is in the tube.

This is more common than you know(for outside striker/hammer configs)
1 beretta 92/96 in A1 or not(safety/hammer drop lever)
2 beretta px4 storm(safety/hammer drop lever)
3 probably many other berettas but those mentioned are the only I can say from first hand experience..
4. Any sig sauer with a manual hammer drop lever for example my 229.

As for internal striker, I am not aware of any safe way to do it.

Last edited:

Fallschirjmäger

It took a second re-reading for me to get it that you weren't saying a striker fired semi could be safely lowered.
My apologies for misinterpreting what you said. (Insert appropriately embarrassed face icon here)

Last edited: