• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Stock Holders, and tresspass.

Small_Arms_Collector

I just had an interesting idea, some anti-gun companies that prohibit carry are publicly traded, if you were to buy some of their stock, thereby becoming part owner, would you then be able to ignore them when they say to get out since technically you are on property that you in part OWN? Further would you then qualify for private property examptions to carry laws in some states?

motoxmann

that's actually a very good question.

the problem though would be comparing the percentage of the company you own, and the people who actually exercise control over the property.
some could say the fact you own anything at all gives you the right, and some would say you may have partial ownership but you don't exercise any control so you have no say, and many other variables

Ca Patriot

I just had an interesting idea, some anti-gun companies that prohibit carry are publicly traded, if you were to buy some of their stock, thereby becoming part owner, would you then be able to ignore them when they say to get out since technically you are on property that you in part OWN? Further would you then qualify for private property examptions to carry laws in some states?

The only time this might be applicable is at a shareholders meeting which by law shareholders have the right to attend.

eye95

Corporations are entities in their own right and routinely make decisions independent of any one owner's or all the owners' wills. That decision could be to disallow carry, to allow carry, or to have separate policies for the public and stockholders. Those decisions will be made by the board or the officers of the corporation. Stockholders have a say in any issue brought before them and in the election of board members. They do not have a say in policy making like an actual business owner would.

Saying they do is as off the mark as saying that, since we citizens elect our representatives (members of the board of the entity known as the US), we run the country and can do as we please, regardless of the rules set forth by our representative legislature.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

Freedom1Man

I just had an interesting idea, some anti-gun companies that prohibit carry are publicly traded, if you were to buy some of their stock, thereby becoming part owner, would you then be able to ignore them when they say to get out since technically you are on property that you in part OWN? Further would you then qualify for private property exemptions to carry laws in some states?

I've made that argument already.

OC for ME

Interesting, yet misguided. If a private firm "votes" to enact a "constitution" where "citizens" (shareholders) have certain "rights" then the case could be made. until then. Whipping out your stock certificate will not prevent Barney Fife from tossing you into the cooler for trespassing.

eye95

A stock holder is an owner.

That is over simplistic. There is a world of difference between a sole proprietor (a true owner) and a stock holder. While an owner has full authority over all aspects of a business, a stock holder has voting rights and a share of the profits. The board of directors exercises the authority normally belonging to an owner.

Fisherman

That is over simplistic. There is a world of difference between a sole proprietor (a true owner) and a stock holder. While an owner has full authority over all aspects of a business, a stock holder has voting rights and a share of the profits. The board of directors exercises the authority normally belonging to an owner.

Oh I realize all of that. I just wanted to point out that a stock holder owns a piece of the company. Depending on how big a piece sometimes determines how much say so he has. It is pretty simple.

eye95

Considering that the premise of the thread was that a stock holder could do as he pleases, regardless of the will of the board of directors, much like a true owner could, it was critical that it be pointed out how markedly [different] owners and stockholders are.

Anyway, I'll let this thread wander where it will without further intervention. I have made the point I wished to make to all those who were curious about the initial assertion in the thread, which is all I was trying to do.

Moving on.

On edit: added missing word.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Would a volunteer please step forward - be sure and let us know how it worked out. :lol:

eye95

I know that I said that I was out, but a new point has arisen.

The majority stockholder cannot simply violate the stated policy of the corporation. He can ask the board to change it. He can change out the board in favor of members who will give him what he wants, however, in Ohio, if he carries where the company has posted a sign, he has committed a crime. In other States, it may not be a crime, but it is still wrong.

A true owner sets the policy on-the-spot.

<o>

Freedom1Man

The majority stockholder cannot simply violate the stated policy of the corporation. He can ask the board to change it. He can change out the board in favor of members who will give him what he wants, however, in Ohio, if he carries where the company has posted a sign, he has committed a crime. In other States, it may not be a crime, but it is still wrong.

<o>

In the case of a true owner there would not be stock holders.

OC for ME

Check your state laws carefully when deciding who has "control" over private property. Trespass laws may use descriptors in addition to "owner" who can trespass you and thus call upon Barney Fife to uphold the peace.

The Trickster

<o>

Thanks for the clarification.

OC for ME

A "private" company can issue stock (shares), Facebook did this to the angst of a great many retail investors. A "public" company permits any citizen to invest their money via the purchase of publicly traded securities.

Even a single owner, sole proprietorship, can "issue" shares to potential investors and not run afoul of federal and/or state laws. Get a attorney competent in such matters to better inform you of the implications of issuing "shares" as a not publicly trade firm.