Thread: judges sentences man to wear a sign

judges sentences man to wear a sign

Judge Sentences Man To Wear “I Was Being An Idiot” Sign

CLEVELAND (March 6, 2013)—Cleveland Judge Pinkey Carr, who earlier ordered a woman to wear an "idiot" sign in public for driving around a school bus, is now calling for the public shaming of a man convicted of threatening police officers.

In addition to sentencing Richard Dameron, 58, to 90 days in jail, Carr ordered the man to stand in front of a district police station with a sign when he gets out.

Media outlets reported that Dameron will have to stand for three hours a day for a week in June with a sign apologizing to officers.

The sign will also say, "I was being an idiot and it will never happen again."

Dameron was convicted of threatening officers in 911 calls.

Carr said sometimes she has to get creative to get through to people.

http://www.kwtx.com/news/national/he...195632851.html

tia

I thought public displays of humiliation toward a criminal was banned about 100 years ago?
    Crazy cant be stopped with gun registration or control. These guys will continue until Americans admit we have a real mental health and crime issue in this country. Go after the gangs full force and keep the crazies off the streets, and leave me and my gun alone.

Frederick Douglass said, “A man’s rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Banned
    Two can play at that game .... just have another sign above it that says "Judge XYZ said:"

Do judges not need to abide by the sentencing guidlines? I would think some kind of community service would actually service the public much better.

CCJ

Why publicly shame him? It's a waste of time. Sentence him to 20 years hard labor in a penal colony. Mischief managed.

The first lady, sure, that't kinda funny and somewhat appropriate. This guy though? Not so much. The jail time should be sufficient.

Quote Originally Posted by Bmeierholtz View Post
    I thought public displays of humiliation toward a criminal was banned about 100 years ago?
    Only if that is what they are sentenced to; if they agree willingly then there is no conflict.
    As an example - -

"Mr. Smith, the jury has found you guilty of eating a ham sandwich on a Sunday, contrary to the good order and decency of the public. The law allows you to be sentenced to a maximum of 1 year minus a day in the county jail and this is my decision.

However, putting you in jail would be a hardship on you, your family and the public in general. I offer you this option, that you may accept or reject as you see fit. Each day from the hours of 6pm until 9pm and each weekend between 12 Noon and 5 PM you will wear a sign determined by the court. This period will be for 4 months.

In that time you may continue to work, to feed your family, and to sleep in your own bed at night.
    You may have the next hour to determine your answer, Mr. Smith.
    The court is in recess for one hour."
    Last edited by Fallschirmjäger; 03-07-2013 at 08:39 PM.

IF I'm reading the ORC correctly...

2903.21 Aggravated menacing.

(A) No person shall knowingly cause another to believe that the offender will cause serious physical harm to the person or property of the other person, the other person’s unborn, or a member of the other person’s immediate family.

(B) Whoever violates this section is guilty of aggravated menacing. Except as otherwise provided in this division, aggravated menacing is a misdemeanor of the first degree. If the victim of the offense is an officer or employee of a public children services agency or a private child placing agency and the offense relates to the officer’s or employee’s performance or anticipated performance of official responsibilities or duties, aggravated menacing is a felony of the fifth degree or, if the offender previously has been convicted of or pleaded guilty to an offense of violence, the victim of that prior offense was an officer or employee of a public children services agency or private child placing agency, and that prior offense related to the officer’s or employee’s performance or anticipated performance of official responsibilities or duties, a felony of the fourth degree.

2929.24 Definite jail terms for misdemeanors.

(A) Except as provided in section 2929.22 or 2929.23 of the Revised Code or division (E) or (F) of this section and unless another term is required or authorized pursuant to law, if the sentencing court imposing a sentence upon an offender for a misdemeanor elects or is required to impose a jail term on the offender pursuant to this chapter, the court shall impose a definite jail term that shall be one of the following:
    (1) For a misdemeanor of the first degree, not more than one hundred eighty days;

Again, IF my reading is correct, it would appear that the Judge cut the jail time by 90 days in exchange for 21-hours of "public shaming". If I were that person, I'd jump on that deal so fast it wouldn't even be funny.
    Last edited by Fallschirmjäger; 03-07-2013 at 08:58 PM.

I think I'd be inclined to take the public shaming to avoid jail time.

Jail is horrible.