• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New here, currently deployed

ron73440

I will be back in NC around July and was planning on getting my concealed permit. I am still going to, just because it allows me flexibility, but since finding this site I am planning on OC'ing if I find a holster.

My pistol is a baby eagle .45 with a rail which limits the available holsters,but I got some help in another thread I started in the holster section, so I don't think that will be an issue.

Looking forward to meeting some of you once I get back. This site really opened my eyes as I was not aware OC was a legal option without a permit, and the strategies for dealing with any hostile or uninformed LEO's are things I never would have thought of.

Last edited:

papa bear

welcome back and thank you for your service. i hope you will enjoy the freedoms here and will work to preserve them.

be careful on your exit interview they are using them to keep solders from getting firearms.

edit; and another thought you might want to got to ncgunowners.org and also you will want to join us at grnc.org to look after our RTKBA

Last edited:

ron73440

I had read about the VA listing people as incompetent, but never thought about my post deployment debriefing.

Although this deployment for me is not at all stressful, because I am now a "fobbit" who never leaves the wire, it's still something to think about when I get out of here and head back to lovely Cherry Point.

papa bear

I had read about the VA listing people as incompetent, but never thought about my post deployment debriefing.

Although this deployment for me is not at all stressful, because I am now a "fobbit" who never leaves the wire, it's still something to think about when I get out of here and head back to lovely Cherry Point.

not just what is on this site. i have talked to a few VETS that have told me a few things. one that helped us a t the GRNC table in Gastonia one time tell me, that they had checked the wrong box on his exit, and he still has to fight to get his permits. something about the question if he would hurt himself, they checked yes instead of no. so watch for errors.

ron73440

Good information, I would hate for that to happen to me, I grew up on a farm so there were always guns around, and I've finally convinced my wife that carrying is a practical measure.

Ironically I think it's all the over reach by the anti's that helped make her a little more gun friendly. That and me always having them and taking our kids shooting, even got her to go a couple times, but she decided it's not for her.

She kind of likes our semi auto .22lr, but can't handle all the concussions from other people shooting.

Walking Wolf, Thanks for the welcome.

Last edited:

ron73440

welcome back and thank you for your service. i hope you will enjoy the freedoms here and will work to preserve them.

be careful on your exit interview they are using them to keep solders from getting firearms.

edit; and another thought you might want to got to ncgunowners.org and also you will want to join us at grnc.org to look after our RTKBA

Both of those websites are blocked over here.

I have no idea how this one isn't, but once I get home I'll look into that.

ron73440

I don't know, but most political or weapons related sites are blocked.

I'm glad this one isn't though, it has opened my eyes to OC, which like most people I never really thought about until I found this forum, while I was searching for conceal carry info.

ps. Are you saying the sites recommended by papa bear aren't run by sane moderators?

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

I don't know, but most political or weapons related sites are blocked.

I'm glad this one isn't though, it has opened my eyes to OC, which like most people I never really thought about until I found this forum, while I was searching for conceal carry info.

ps. Are you saying the sites recommended by papa bear aren't run by sane moderators?
I didn't say that, but you should read the "Gold Carry State" thread, where PV the man who heads GRNC makes the claim that only concealed carry permittee are sane. Also where he admits to outing a CHP anti reporter's address and personal information, there by punishing that reporters family and putting her children at risk. Does that sound sane. According to him we are bikers that get drunk.

The only way we are going to retain our OC rights without a permit is to fight for them, and that means fighting his agenda to outlaw OC.

ron73440

I didn't say that, but you should read the "Gold Carry State" thread, where PV the man who heads GRNC makes the claim that only concealed carry permittee are sane. Also where he admits to outing a CHP anti reporter's address and personal information, there by punishing that reporters family and putting her children at risk. Does that sound sane. According to him we are bikers that get drunk.

The only way we are going to retain our OC rights without a permit is to fight for them, and that means fighting his agenda to outlaw OC.

I read through that thread and I agree the attitude was over the top.

I think the average thought process is if you want to carry with no permission slip, those with the slip think you must want all criminals to carry regardless of the fact that they do it anyway.

My thought is, if you're too dangerous to be trusted with a pistol, than you are too dangerous to be on the same streets as my family.

papa bear

I read through that thread and I agree the attitude was over the top.

I think the average thought process is if you want to carry with no permission slip, those with the slip think you must want all criminals to carry regardless of the fact that they do it anyway.

My thought is, if you're too dangerous to be trusted with a pistol, than you are too dangerous to be on the same streets as my family.

hey where have i heard that before?

walking wolf you should join us so we can fight the evil CCers.

RON try ncgunowners.com

ron73440

That one's blocked also:cuss:

When I get home I plan on being involved with some of these groups, I'm also getting ready for OC, so I am really glad this site slipped through the cracks.

I almost feel stupid for having absolutely no idea that OC was legal, I always thought if I wanted to carry, CC with a permission slip was the only option.

Because of OCDO I educated myself and was able to factually counter my wife's objections and am sure she will be fine once I get home and actually get to OC.

ncwabbit

forgive the delay as i thought i had already posted a welcome to you on this thread and thanks for your service to our country...it is truly appreciated...

as has been stated, there are other venues and resources to visit to glean information but IMO this is the most unbiased around and truly tries to ensure misinformation is kept to a minimum.

which part of the state are you and your family planning on settling in upon your return?

wabbit

ps: really papa bear, you're still recruiting for GRNC when nobody can get a straight answer about organizational goals of the group?

pps: WalkingWolf kinda good to know we are not part of the sane & sober per se...

PPPs: search here for more information
http://www.ncleg.net/gascripts/statutes/statutes.asp
http://www.ncsheriffs.org/documents/2007-NC-Firearms-gun-Laws-rev2011.pdf

Last edited:

ron73440

I am currently out of Cherry Point and renting a house in between New Bern and Havelock, I agree this site has a lot of good info and a wide variety of viewpoints to help newcomers like me learn.

papa bear

ncwabbit; ps: really papa bear said:
well WABBIT, if i can get more people like you to join we would have more influence on what goes on.

all critizing aside (it definitely NOT VCDL), i think it is one of the best org. in NC

WalkingWolf

well WABBIT, if i can get more people like you to join we would have more influence on what goes on.

all critizing aside (it definitely NOT VCDL), i think it is one of the best org. in NC

I think you are joking, or at least I hope you are. Because putting more money in his pocket, and giving him support for the arse raping he has already given OC would be a exercise in ignorance. Nothing is going to change PV's mind, he is set on a course of changing OC to a licensed privilege or complete elimination. The only way to fight him is by going over his head with the current politicians in office. Any blocks to his proposed bills will protect OC. I find it refreshing that states like SC are striving to move towards liberty while he continually tries to move in the opposite direction.

papa bear

Well WABBIT, then you should definitely join, so you can change things. it is easy enough to critizes when you have no skin in the game. i know we have discussed this before ,but what is the organization that is looking out for 2ndA rights in NC. how do we join it? you know if you are not part of a larger group then you will not be heard.

ncwabbit

papa, I thank you for your kind offer, but i am afraid as you are familiar w/my past personal experience w/GRNC's senior leadership, their vision and actions, coupled with the mentality of the membership's and senior mgmt's reaction whenever GRNC is challenged on even the very basic inquiries, shows i do not wish to engage as an agent of change with such an organization or it's individual membership.

over the last several years, I have seen nor heard no change in the circular rhetoric being offered to NC citizens at the gun shows by the 'volunteers' manning the tables or off the organizational website. Papa, I am truly sorry, but for purporting to be the 'premier' grassroots group in NC representing NC's firearm owning citizens the the State's GAssembly, in my humble opinion, GRNC's organizational focus appears to have gotten fuzzy and skewed, and possibly personally motivated by a select few.

again, civility wins and goes a long way towards institutional change.

wabbit

Last edited: