• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Storing pistol in vehicle question

nismogsxr

Ok where i work they have a sticker on the door where you walk into the plant that states they prohibit firearms and they have told us we cant have them in our vehicles. A local friend has told me that they cannot keep us from storing them in our vehicles unless there is a sign stating this as soon as you pull onto the property instead of just on the door. Is this true? I OC my springfield xds with me everywhere i can legally and I dont see why I cant store it in my vehicle while im at work.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

dmatting

You work for the company and you are aware of their policies. The lack of a sign at the entrance of the parking lot does not render the aforementioned knowledge irrelevant. Current law in NC favors the right of the property owner over the right of the gun owner. Personally, I don't see a problem with that.

On the other hand, keep your mouth shut about your gun - meaning don't talk to your coworkers about shooting and carrying and that you carry all the time, etc etc etc and they should have no reason to suspect that you might have something in your vehicle. And if they did suspect - would you let them search your vehicle?

nismogsxr

Ok sorry if i aggravated you just trying to clarify what I wasn't sure of. Another person stated to me that my vehicle is my property and that the law cant keep me from storing it in my vehicle even though I'm on gun banned property. Idk the truth behind this statement.

sageone

Ditto on what dmatting said. Company policy says no guns. It is perfectly legal for them to do this, it's their property. Lock the gun in your car, don't blab about it, and no one will know the difference.

Tom79G

So I have a question that I guess kinda goes with this. Since I dont have a CCP I know I have to have my gun in the open in my truck, but does it have to be on my dash or in a seat? Can I have a center console mounted holster and have it in that instead? Where it is in plain view but it's holstered on the side of my center console in a new Nissan Frontier? Also, if I am to leave me truck unattended and I am going into a place where there is a no gun sign posted then am I allowed to put it up then where it can't be seen?

WalkingWolf

Ok sorry if i aggravated you just trying to clarify what I wasn't sure of. Another person stated to me that my vehicle is my property and that the law cant keep me from storing it in my vehicle even though I'm on gun banned property. Idk the truth behind this statement.

You can be fired for any reason that does not violate basic employment rights. That includes legal activity, such as drinking or smoking OFF the job. Or picking your nose. Being legal has nothing to do with it.

WalkingWolf

So I have a question that I guess kinda goes with this. Since I dont have a CCP I know I have to have my gun in the open in my truck, but does it have to be on my dash or in a seat? Can I have a center console mounted holster and have it in that instead? Where it is in plain view but it's holstered on the side of my center console in a new Nissan Frontier? Also, if I am to leave me truck unattended and I am going into a place where there is a no gun sign posted then am I allowed to put it up then where it can't be seen?

IANAL, but IMO you do not have to put your gun on the dash, unless you want to. Yes you can have a center console mounted holster. And it is only concealed if you are IN the vehicle, it has to be within reach/access for you to be charged with a concealed weapon. The problem is that moment that you hide your gun anywhere you hide, you still have access. A bunghole could claim that the gun was concealed at that moment in time. Just make sure nobody is watching when you hide your gun, so you don't get arrested/hassled or the gun gets stolen.

Tom79G

IANAL, but IMO you do not have to put your gun on the dash, unless you want to. Yes you can have a center console mounted holster. And it is only concealed if you are IN the vehicle, it has to be within reach/access for you to be charged with a concealed weapon. The problem is that moment that you hide your gun anywhere you hide, you still have access. A bunghole could claim that the gun was concealed at that moment in time. Just make sure nobody is watching when you hide your gun, so you don't get arrested/hassled or the gun gets stolen.

Ive been on this site reading up and trying to learn for a little bit of time but I am very new to OC so if ask some dumb questions from time to time I hope everyone here can bare with me. I really appreciate your answers and I'll have plenty of possibily dumb question coming in the near future. :D

WalkingWolf

Ive been on this site reading up and trying to learn for a little bit of time but I am very new to OC so if ask some dumb questions from time to time I hope everyone here can bare with me. I really appreciate your answers and I'll have plenty of possibily dumb question coming in the near future. :D

There is nothing wrong with dumb questions... Yes at times we may get snarky, and it is hard to inject humor without actually talking person to person. I can handle dumb questions, as long as you can handle sometimes snarky answers. :cool:

solus

OP, (remember IANA) my understanding is and with appropriate cites, if the parking lot truly belongs to the organization then the company's policies prevail and no firearms would be allowed on company property, with or without signage.

If however, the company 'rents office space' then the parking lot belongs to someone else, e.g., property management company, etc., and the company's policies would not prevail.

that stated...remember NC is after all an employment at will state, so as previously stated, you could be terminated for any cause your employer deems in their best interest.

IMHO carrying your firearm in a vehicle is best left on the front seat in plain sight...

ipse

Bigpapa

My job don't allow it also and I could get away with store it in my truck because I have a vault but I'm too close to retiring so I want risk it. I agree about not telling no one, a friend of mine at work piss somebody off and some how somebody heard that he had a gun in his truck. So security and some of the manager went out to search his truck and found one ammo and got three days off without pay.

Jamesm760

My job don't allow it also and I could get away with store it in my truck because I have a vault but I'm too close to retiring so I want risk it. I agree about not telling no one, a friend of mine at work piss somebody off and some how somebody heard that he had a gun in his truck. So security and some of the manager went out to search his truck and found one ammo and got three days off without pay.

Did they search with out his consent or did he allow them to?