• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Grand Rapids/ Walker area

Dougcr

New to the site and have been doing some reading on open carry, I have had my Michigan CPL for a couple years now and have been tossing the idea around for open carry as it gets warmer outside.

I haven't seen much on discussion for the Grand Rapids area or the Walker area/ surrounding area's, are these area's a big no no?

Thanks for any info or experiences in these area's, love the site so far.

Dougcr

Dougcr

Well here are a few more Michigan Open Carry events in your area that you might be interested in.

Dinner in Kzoo March 23rd. http://www.facebook.com/events/462395277161049/
Seminar in Battle Creek March 24th http://www.facebook.com/events/123775604461238/
*** Fundraiser Dinner in Grandville March 26th http://www.facebook.com/events/339293012854767/

Thank you! I'm thinking the one in Grandville may happen for me.

Been reading some of the Mlive stories about what is going on for Grand Rapids, still a bit confusing to me, so NO open carry in the GR city limits?? Keep in mind, I DO have my cpl. sorry if these are really stupid questions lol!

Raggs

You CAN open carry or CC with a CPL in Grand Rapids. the issue with the commission is a law on the books that isn't enforced. I am sure that there are people who would be willing to get together with you in the area as well without a actual seminar or dinner / lunch.

Thank you! I'm thinking the one in Grandville may happen for me.

Been reading some of the Mlive stories about what is going on for Grand Rapids, still a bit confusing to me, so NO open carry in the GR city limits?? Keep in mind, I DO have my cpl. sorry if these are really stupid questions lol!

Dougcr

You CAN open carry or CC with a CPL in Grand Rapids. the issue with the commission is a law on the books that isn't enforced. I am sure that there are people who would be willing to get together with you in the area as well without a actual seminar or dinner / lunch.

Thanks! The wife and I are planning on the meetup in Grandville on the 26th.

bigt8261

No worries about the questions. It does sound like you're fairly new so I would personally suggest you try to attend a seminar before you try anything too risky. Also check out some of the stickies here in the Michigan sub forum of OCDO and here: http://forums.michiganopencarry.org/

As far as OC in GR, the state of Michigan has what is called preemption. MCL 123.1102 essentially preempts all local forms of government from making their own laws. GRs ordinances are a bit more strict than State law, but you do not need to worry about them. Just worry about State law (and a bit of Federal).

Reporters tend to do a poor job of explaining things, so try not to go off of what they say.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
New to the site and have been doing some reading on open carry, I have had my Michigan CPL for a couple years now and have been tossing the idea around for open carry as it gets warmer outside.

I haven't seen much on discussion for the Grand Rapids area or the Walker area/ surrounding area's, are these area's a big no no?

Thanks for any info or experiences in these area's, love the site so far.

There are a few of us in the area. During the summer I spend about half my time in the Standale area. I'm sure I'll talk to you at the dinner in Grandville. Perhaps a few others from the area and I can meet you some weekend and have lunch? PM me if you are ever interested in doing that.

Last edited:

Raggs