Thread: Is Missouri tracking personal info through drivers licenses, gun permits?

Is Missouri tracking personal info through drivers licenses, gun permits?

JEFFERSON CITY • A Missouri House committee is preparing to hold a hearing next week on claims that the state Department of Revenue and local license fee offices have been tracking personal information through drivers’ licenses and concealed carry permits.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/g...86240f67d.html
    Big time news now. The Post Disgrace is on the case.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    Big time news now. The Post Disgrace is on the case.
    The quoted text is inaccurate. Or rather, it allows deniability. The DMV's are NOT tracking your information. They simply send it to others who track it. A very poorly worded article.
    "Somebody ever tries to kill you, you try and kill em right back!" - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Oramac View Post
    The quoted text is inaccurate. Or rather, it allows deniability. The DMV's are NOT tracking your information. They simply send it to others who track it. A very poorly worded article.
    I'll betcha a dollar that the state laws do not allow the DMV to do this & without a law authorizing them to do then they cannot legally do it. Admin agencies can only DO what the legislature specifically authorizes the act.

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    I'll betcha a dollar that the state laws do not allow the DMV to do this & without a law authorizing them to do then they cannot legally do it. Admin agencies can only DO what the legislature specifically authorizes the act.
    They can't. I don't remember the exact statute, but there is a spot that says they need your express permission to share your info.
    "Somebody ever tries to kill you, you try and kill em right back!" - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

This may be the statute you are looking for:
    302.183. 2. Any data derived from a person's application shall not be sold for commercial purposes to any other organization or any other state without the express permission of the applicant without a court order; except such information may be shared with a law enforcement agency, judge, prosecuting attorney, or officer of the court, or with another state for the limited purposes set out in section 302.600 or for conducting driver history checks in compliance with the Motor Carrier Safety Improvement Act, 49 U.S.C. 31309.

The state of Missouri shall protect the privacy of its citizens when handling any written, digital, or electronic data, and shall not participate in any standardized identification system using driver's and nondriver's license records. For purposes of this subsection, "commercial purposes" does not include data used or compiled solely to be used for, or obtained or compiled solely for purposes expressly allowed under the Missouri or federal Drivers Privacy Protection Act.

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter64738 View Post
    This may be the statute you are looking for:
    That, and the first paragraph also:

Quote Originally Posted by law
    302.183. 2. Any data derived from a person's application shall not be sold for commercial purposes to any other organization or any other state without the express permission of the applicant without a court order; except such information may be shared with a law enforcement agency, judge, prosecuting attorney, or officer of the court, or with another state for the limited purposes set out in section 302.600 or for conducting driver history checks in compliance with the Motor Carrier Safety Improvement Act, 49 U.S.C. 31309.

Banned
    I actually met with my state's dmv director about a similar issue - providing information that are not authorized to do ... the director agreed but said "too bad, we are doing it anyways"

guess could have filed a court case ... might still do
    Last edited by davidmcbeth; 03-09-2013 at 04:08 AM.

I actually met with my state's dmv director about a similar issue - providing information that are not authorized to do ... the director agreed but said "too bad, we are doing it anyways"

Wouldn't that have sounded cool replayed over and over in front of the news media on a digital voice recorder!
    Last edited by Superlite27; 03-09-2013 at 09:53 AM. Reason: too corect mispellinges

It is illegal for any entity in the state of MO to collect such data.

There's a lawsuit against them now for this exact issue.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013...wsuit-alleges/

They are forwarding this info to Safran-Morpho.

Very disturbing.... They are collecting data regardless of state law...

This is what happens when the government is allowed to privatize government entities...

"The equipment was created by MorphoTrust USA, a division of Safran. Safran creates unmanned aerial vehicles (drones) for the federal government, while MorphoTrust creates driver license issuance systems for 41 states. They also supply biometric systems for the FBI, Department of Defense, and the Department of State. Tennessee, a REAL ID compliant state, uses the equipment as well to issue driver licenses, handgun carry permits, IDs, etc."

http://www.examiner.com/article/real...permit-holders

It's been illustrated (think it was mspgunner) that the DOR has received several Federal grants on the matter. The bigger issue at hand is who and what does L1-Solutions have ties to and who exactly, are they building "folios" on to provide for the Feds.

Many LEOs went to L1 Soultions, some may know it as Sephora (sp?), or even the name it's going by now, MorphoTrust USA. Those aren't the only names the BILLION dollar company has gone by. They've got DECADES of personal information on so many people that it would make your head spin if you knew they also worked for international governments that aren't (haven't always been) friendly to the US. The more I dig into this company, the more frightening it becomes. They have their fingers in almost everything from security clearances to simple DL issuing.

Here's a mind blower for you. They actually conduct ALL of the CCW background checks for Texas as well as other States. That means States other than Missouri are potential victims of this information pilfering with the intent to supply it to DHS. Now one has to wonder if those in Texas have been brought into the loop on the nightmare in Missouri. By they way, Greene County will be getting their "equipment" installed by the end of June/July. So if you're up for a renewal, please take the advice of Dee Wampler in Springfield and don't let those documents leave your sight or be scanned in front of you. If they refuse to issue, they are violating the law and you've got grounds to file a lawsuit.

You should have recorded that encounter and then went to the media with it. That's an admission to a crime right there.