• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is Missouri tracking personal info through drivers licenses, gun permits?

OC for ME

Oramac

Big time news now. The Post Disgrace is on the case.

The quoted text is inaccurate. Or rather, it allows deniability. The DMV's are NOT tracking your information. They simply send it to others who track it. A very poorly worded article.

davidmcbeth

Banned
The quoted text is inaccurate. Or rather, it allows deniability. The DMV's are NOT tracking your information. They simply send it to others who track it. A very poorly worded article.

I'll betcha a dollar that the state laws do not allow the DMV to do this & without a law authorizing them to do then they cannot legally do it. Admin agencies can only DO what the legislature specifically authorizes the act.

Oramac

I'll betcha a dollar that the state laws do not allow the DMV to do this & without a law authorizing them to do then they cannot legally do it. Admin agencies can only DO what the legislature specifically authorizes the act.

They can't. I don't remember the exact statute, but there is a spot that says they need your express permission to share your info.

Shooter64738

This may be the statute you are looking for:
302.183. 2. Any data derived from a person's application shall not be sold for commercial purposes to any other organization or any other state without the express permission of the applicant without a court order; except such information may be shared with a law enforcement agency, judge, prosecuting attorney, or officer of the court, or with another state for the limited purposes set out in section 302.600 or for conducting driver history checks in compliance with the Motor Carrier Safety Improvement Act, 49 U.S.C. 31309.

The state of Missouri shall protect the privacy of its citizens when handling any written, digital, or electronic data, and shall not participate in any standardized identification system using driver's and nondriver's license records. For purposes of this subsection, "commercial purposes" does not include data used or compiled solely to be used for, or obtained or compiled solely for purposes expressly allowed under the Missouri or federal Drivers Privacy Protection Act.

Oramac

This may be the statute you are looking for:

That, and the first paragraph also:

law said:
302.183. 2. Any data derived from a person's application shall not be sold for commercial purposes to any other organization or any other state without the express permission of the applicant without a court order; except such information may be shared with a law enforcement agency, judge, prosecuting attorney, or officer of the court, or with another state for the limited purposes set out in section 302.600 or for conducting driver history checks in compliance with the Motor Carrier Safety Improvement Act, 49 U.S.C. 31309.

davidmcbeth

Banned
I actually met with my state's dmv director about a similar issue - providing information that are not authorized to do ... the director agreed but said "too bad, we are doing it anyways"

guess could have filed a court case ... might still do

Last edited:

Superlite27

I actually met with my state's dmv director about a similar issue - providing information that are not authorized to do ... the director agreed but said "too bad, we are doing it anyways"

Wouldn't that have sounded cool replayed over and over in front of the news media on a digital voice recorder!

Last edited:

Jaysann22

It is illegal for any entity in the state of MO to collect such data.

There's a lawsuit against them now for this exact issue.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/201...pany-with-ties-to-government-lawsuit-alleges/

They are forwarding this info to Safran-Morpho.

Very disturbing.... They are collecting data regardless of state law...

This is what happens when the government is allowed to privatize government entities...

"The equipment was created by MorphoTrust USA, a division of Safran. Safran creates unmanned aerial vehicles (drones) for the federal government, while MorphoTrust creates driver license issuance systems for 41 states. They also supply biometric systems for the FBI, Department of Defense, and the Department of State. Tennessee, a REAL ID compliant state, uses the equipment as well to issue driver licenses, handgun carry permits, IDs, etc."

http://www.examiner.com/article/rea...oncerns-for-miss-handgun-carry-permit-holders

REALteach4u

It's been illustrated (think it was mspgunner) that the DOR has received several Federal grants on the matter. The bigger issue at hand is who and what does L1-Solutions have ties to and who exactly, are they building "folios" on to provide for the Feds.

Many LEOs went to L1 Soultions, some may know it as Sephora (sp?), or even the name it's going by now, MorphoTrust USA. Those aren't the only names the BILLION dollar company has gone by. They've got DECADES of personal information on so many people that it would make your head spin if you knew they also worked for international governments that aren't (haven't always been) friendly to the US. The more I dig into this company, the more frightening it becomes. They have their fingers in almost everything from security clearances to simple DL issuing.

Here's a mind blower for you. They actually conduct ALL of the CCW background checks for Texas as well as other States. That means States other than Missouri are potential victims of this information pilfering with the intent to supply it to DHS. Now one has to wonder if those in Texas have been brought into the loop on the nightmare in Missouri. By they way, Greene County will be getting their "equipment" installed by the end of June/July. So if you're up for a renewal, please take the advice of Dee Wampler in Springfield and don't let those documents leave your sight or be scanned in front of you. If they refuse to issue, they are violating the law and you've got grounds to file a lawsuit.

REALteach4u

You should have recorded that encounter and then went to the media with it. That's an admission to a crime right there.