Thread: Question About Open Carry

Question About Open Carry

Sorry if this has been covered but I can't find it anywhere. Is it legal to open carry with an IWB holster? Say a tucked in shirt and jeans with a IWB holster not covered. Thanks in advance for your help.

Regular Member self preservation's Avatar
    Last edited by self preservation; 03-07-2013 at 04:05 PM.
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” Edmund Burke

self-pres·er·va·tion (slfprzr-vshn)
    n.
    1. Protection of oneself from harm or destruction.
    2. The instinct for individual preservation; the innate desire to stay alive.

Don't mind him ^^.

The search function on OCDO has been described, in the kindest terms, as "wonky". It's worth the effort to lrearn how to use SEARCH and ADVANCED SEARCH.

OBTW - welcome to OCDO.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Don't mind him ^^.

The search function on OCDO has been described, in the kindest terms, as "wonky". It's worth the effort to lrearn how to use SEARCH and ADVANCED SEARCH.

OBTW - welcome to OCDO.

stay safe.
    I've been around gutshot to long...
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” Edmund Burke

n.

How did you do that in five min? I usually go page to page looking for anything.

I should add links to the discussions to the Kentucky Gun Law thread.
    No man alive can beat me in a fair fight: It's not fair to chase a man down and beat him.

Quote Originally Posted by 09jisaac View Post
    How did you do that in five min? I usually go page to page looking for anything.

I should add links to the discussions to the Kentucky Gun Law thread.
    Alright. I admit it. It really took me 6 minutes. I didn't read each and every thread. I just looked through them real fast and picked out three that caught my eye.

n.

Thanks!! I knew it was prob in there somewhere but I couldn't find it. Guess I'll send some time with the search function.

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Don't mind him ^^.

OBTW - welcome to OCDO.

stay safe.
    Its ok I'm use to grumpy. Lol!! Sorry couldn't help myself. Yea I need to practice with that search function. Thanks for the welcome.

Activist Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Daddy XD View Post
    Its ok I'm use to grumpy. Lol!! Sorry couldn't help myself. Yea I need to practice with that search function. Thanks for the welcome.
    Welcome! I noticed we are both from Ashland. How long have you been carrying?
    "I never in my life seen a Kentuckian without a gun..."-Andrew Jackson

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined."-Patrick Henry; speaking of protecting the rights of an armed citizenry.

Quote Originally Posted by KYGlockster View Post
    Welcome! I noticed we are both from Ashland. How long have you been carrying?
    Been carrying for several years now. Although I must admit usually concealed. I lived in Huntington for a few years and had my ccdw. Moved away and let it expire. Moved back here about year ago and just took my class couple weeks ago. I hate not being armed in todays world so I've been open carrying a lot. I haven't ran into any trouble yet. Seems most folks here in Ashland are pretty chill about it. From reading some of the posts here I guess you haven't been so lucky.

I was just giving you a hard time. But welcome to the forum. Honestly, I knew what I was looking for because I had read these threads already. So I had an advantage over you. I hope you stick around with us.

n.

Quote Originally Posted by self preservation View Post
    I was just giving you a hard time. But welcome to the forum. Honestly, I knew what I was looking for because I had read these threads already. So I had an advantage over you. I hope you stick around with us.
    Its all good. Trust me I've got way thicker skin than that. Lol! Its always weird coming into a new forum group and not knowing how to use everything or what has been discussed in the past. Seems like you guys know your s*** here though. I've learned a lot already just trying to catch up on what has already been said.

Its all good. Trust me I've got way thicker skin than that. Lol! Its always weird coming into a new forum group and not knowing how to use everything or what has been discussed in the past. Seems like you guys know your s*** here though. I've learned a lot already just trying to catch up on what has already been said.
    These guys rode me like a old mule when I first came here. But they are a good bunch of guys. We all are still learning everyday. I hope you do the same. Don't worry to much about how to navigate around. You will get the hang of it soon.

n.

Just don't take anything personally, that is the only problem with some people on this site.

Gutshot will seem like an a** until you meet him. He is a very friendly man though. Fights for our rights every chance he gets.

Also, don't complain about his font size, his eyes apparently aren't too good. Seems like every newbie has to complain about it.

You won't get hassled much in Ashland, seems like they know the law. I am from Louisa, where they don't seem to know the law.
    No man alive can beat me in a fair fight: It's not fair to chase a man down and beat him.

Just don't take anything personally, that is the only problem with some people on this site.

Gutshot will seem like an a** until you meet him. He is a very friendly man though. Fights for our rights every chance he gets.

Also, don't complain about his font size, his eyes apparently aren't too good. Seems like every newbie has to complain about it.

You won't get hassled much in Ashland, seems like they know the law. I am from Louisa, where they don't seem to know the law.
    We all should get along great then. I dont really take anything personal unless you try to harm my family. Yea gutshot seems to come off a lil harsh but hey from what i've read hes earned that. Don't like to hear that about Louisa though. I'm headed to Stansville tomorrow for a private sale and will certainly be oc. Guess I better watch myself.

Gutshot will seem like an a**
    Quote Originally Posted by gutshot View Post
    WHAT? This is a personal attack and a violation of forum rules. I am reporting this immediately. I can assure you that gutshot is just as much of an "a**" after you have know him a while. I hope this has clarified that situation.
    See? He seems loud on the forum (big font) but with all the traffic and other noise in Lexington it is hard to hear him.

I think he might be crazy though, you know he carries a gun? I straight up seen it, walking around Lexington with a six shooter like it was the wild west.

Activist Member
    Been carrying for several years now. Although I must admit usually concealed. I lived in Huntington for a few years and had my ccdw. Moved away and let it expire. Moved back here about year ago and just took my class couple weeks ago. I hate not being armed in todays world so I've been open carrying a lot. I haven't ran into any trouble yet. Seems most folks here in Ashland are pretty chill about it. From reading some of the posts here I guess you haven't been so lucky.
    I've never had any problems. I did have one little problem dealing with a corrupt county attorney that believed he was above the law and "threatened" to arrest me, but he backed off pretty quick. He is used to threatening people with arrest and them doing whatever he says, and that doesn't work with people like us. Other than that I've not had any issues carrying around the hometown.

You don't carry unloaded do you? I witnessed two guys at walmart the other day that were carrying unloaded and it just escapes me why anyone would want to do that when they do not have to.

Carry on and always! Hopefully we can get our monthly meetings started again and meet up some time soon. How about it Neuro?
    "I never in my life seen a Kentuckian without a gun..."-Andrew Jackson

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined."-Patrick Henry; speaking of protecting the rights of an armed citizenry.

Quote Originally Posted by KYGlockster View Post
    I've never had any problems. I did have one little problem dealing with a corrupt county attorney that believed he was above the law and "threatened" to arrest me, but he backed off pretty quick. He is used to threatening people with arrest and them doing whatever he says, and that doesn't work with people like us. Other than that I've not had any issues carrying around the hometown.

You don't carry unloaded do you? I witnessed two guys at walmart the other day that were carrying unloaded and it just escapes me why anyone would want to do that when they do not have to.

Carry on and always! Hopefully we can get our monthly meetings started again and meet up some time soon. How about it Neuro?
    Love people who try to threaten their way through life.

Funny you should ask about unloaded carry. I was walking out of Kroger today and this guy says "nice pistol". I said thanks then he looked at me and said "is it fully loaded". I laughed and said I don't have much use for carrying a paper weight so yes its fully loaded. He just said ok and walked away. I found that kinda weird but entertaining.

Thumbs up

Love people who try to threaten their way through life.

Funny you should ask about unloaded carry. I was walking out of Kroger today and this guy says "nice pistol". I said thanks then he looked at me and said "is it fully loaded". I laughed and said I don't have much use for carrying a paper weight so yes its fully loaded. He just said ok and walked away. I found that kinda weird but entertaining.
    +1
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

I have a Springfield XDM 9mm, is it OK to open carry with the paddle holster it came with? I have the retention screw set a tad on the tight side. Not so much that you have issues getting it out clean but enough that someone isn't going to walk up and just pull it out.

Orion

Quote Originally Posted by Orion_13 View Post
    I have a Springfield XDM 9mm, is it OK to open carry with the paddle holster it came with? I have the retention screw set a tad on the tight side. Not so much that you have issues getting it out clean but enough that someone isn't going to walk up and just pull it out.

Orion
    I personally don't see a prob with it. I carry this way. However when I do carry in that holster I move it to about the 230 position so as to better retain it in a grab attempt. Also some retention training wouldn't hurt. Retention holsters are great if you practice regularly with them and under stress. If not then you could find yourself in a bad situation made worse.

Question About Open Carry

When I get people around me I rest my arm on top of the gun. Like my forearm part on the back of the grip.

Orion

When I get people around me I rest my arm on top of the gun. Like my forearm part on the back of the grip.

Orion
    Just be careful that someone doesn't take that action in the wrong way.

A delivery guy about found himself on his back the other day. I was at a pawn shop looking around while oc. I was at the counter when he came up on my gun side. As I started to move over I felt my gun move. Immediately I trapped it against my body and spun towards the guy. He was standing there trying to get a box up on counter beside me. He had no idea what he had done or even that I was carrying. He deff got my blood pumping quick though.

Orion
    It is your firearm/freedom/life/etc if something was to go wrong. Wear the gun accordingly.

The only problem with open top holsters is retention, you don't want your firearm to just jump out of the holster setting down to a meal. If you are confident that it won't then I would say go for it.

A retention holster would also make a gun grab less likely to succeed. Most of us will never have an attempted gun grab, but it is always a possibility.

I packed it around the house for days before I went out into the world with it and never had any accidental ejections from the holsters with it. I tried every way possible too. Chairs with arm rest, wood chairs, couches, my car in the drive way, and nodda. I just wanted opinions mainly. I appreciate them too. Thanks.

Orion