• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question About Open Carry

Big Daddy XD

I have a Springfield XDM 9mm, is it OK to open carry with the paddle holster it came with? I have the retention screw set a tad on the tight side. Not so much that you have issues getting it out clean but enough that someone isn't going to walk up and just pull it out.

Orion

I personally don't see a prob with it. I carry this way. However when I do carry in that holster I move it to about the 230 position so as to better retain it in a grab attempt. Also some retention training wouldn't hurt. Retention holsters are great if you practice regularly with them and under stress. If not then you could find yourself in a bad situation made worse.

Big Daddy XD

When I get people around me I rest my arm on top of the gun. Like my forearm part on the back of the grip.

Orion

Just be careful that someone doesn't take that action in the wrong way.

A delivery guy about found himself on his back the other day. I was at a pawn shop looking around while oc. I was at the counter when he came up on my gun side. As I started to move over I felt my gun move. Immediately I trapped it against my body and spun towards the guy. He was standing there trying to get a box up on counter beside me. He had no idea what he had done or even that I was carrying. He deff got my blood pumping quick though.

09jisaac

I have a Springfield XDM 9mm, is it OK to open carry with the paddle holster it came with? I have the retention screw set a tad on the tight side. Not so much that you have issues getting it out clean but enough that someone isn't going to walk up and just pull it out.

Orion

It is your firearm/freedom/life/etc if something was to go wrong. Wear the gun accordingly.

The only problem with open top holsters is retention, you don't want your firearm to just jump out of the holster setting down to a meal. If you are confident that it won't then I would say go for it.

A retention holster would also make a gun grab less likely to succeed. Most of us will never have an attempted gun grab, but it is always a possibility.

Orion_13

I packed it around the house for days before I went out into the world with it and never had any accidental ejections from the holsters with it. I tried every way possible too. Chairs with arm rest, wood chairs, couches, my car in the drive way, and nodda. I just wanted opinions mainly. I appreciate them too. Thanks.

Orion