Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 10mm

10mm

Anyone her carry a Glock G29?
    You do not think the 9mm is effective? Then let me shoot at you.

10mm is a waste of money unless you're a handgun hunter. And even then the modern 10mm loadings are barely greater then the .40 caliber so unless you hand load 10mm to the original specification you're basically shooting .40 +p and the original 10mm loadings would cause extreme wear on your pistol.... So no I do not own a 10mm nor would I recommend it. If you want that bullet choose .40 S&W if you want a more powerful cartridge I'd get a revolver in .41 or .44 magnum...
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    10mm is a waste of money unless you're a handgun hunter. And even then the modern 10mm loadings are barely greater then the .40 caliber so unless you hand load 10mm to the original specification you're basically shooting .40 +p and the original 10mm loadings would cause extreme wear on your pistol.... So no I do not own a 10mm nor would I recommend it. If you want that bullet choose .40 S&W if you want a more powerful cartridge I'd get a revolver in .41 or .44 magnum...
    i disagree i used to carry a 10 but lack then/now of ammo put me into 45 acp
    ar15 sbr glock 19 beretta m9
    Proud Lifetime georgia carry member
    nam vet

Quote Originally Posted by mark5019 View Post
    i disagree i used to carry a 10 but lack then/now of ammo put me into 45 acp
    so maybe you like carrying a 10mm, that doesn't render any of what I said innaccurate.

take a look at the loading data for 10mm Auto and .40 S&W

in most cases the 10mm outperforms the .40 S&W with a comparable loading... by about 100 to 150 fps.

not a huge improvement, especially when both shoot the same bullet. and 10mm costs more and requires a larger platform to shoot.
    Last edited by EMNofSeattle; 05-17-2013 at 07:04 PM.
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

NRA Member

well ill stick with my 10 in bear country
    ar15 sbr glock 19 beretta m9
    Proud Lifetime georgia carry member
    nam vet

My G29 loves that DoubleTap ammo.

Thumbs up

I frequently carry a G29! Great little gun.

Please show me the 40SW load that matches?

Underwood ammo
    Technical Information

• Caliber: 10mm Auto
    • Bullet Weight: 220 Grains
    • Bullet Style: Hardcast Flat Nose
    • Case Type: Brass

Ballistics Information:
    • Muzzle Velocity: 1200 fps
    • Muzzle Energy: 703 ft. lbs.

As for excessive wear heavier springs can negate much of that. But it's not like you're going to be shooting this load all day punching paper..

Been shooting 10mm since 1990......

OP, you didn't state what your intended use was for the 10mm.
    If I were to carry a 10mm as a PDW in an urban environment this is the load I'd use.
    These are the list of ammo makers I'd use:
    Underwood, Buffalo Bore or Double Tap/Reed's/ Grizzly/Atomic/Winchester (win silvertips not for hunting or in bear country) for non reloaders check out Georgia arms, BVAV and PRVI (?).. for range ammo.

But, I would say if you don't already have a quality 10mm don't get one if:
    If you don't hunt or don't expect to deal with bears
    If you have a quality gun chambered in any other decent caliber for PDW

Or a quality gun in 45acp if you intend to hunt or be in bear country... as they can be converted to 400corbon/40super (bbl/spring swap) or 45super/450SMC (simple spring swaps most of the time) or my personal favorite 460Rowland

Also, check out atomic ammo's 45acp.... works well for my wife in her XDS

Underwood ammo
    Information
    • Caliber: 460 Rowland
    • Bullet Weight: 230 Grains
    • Bullet Style: Speer Bonded Jacketed Hollow Point

Ballistics Information:
    • Muzzle Velocity: 1400 fps
    • Muzzle Energy: 1001 ft. lbs

Technical Information

• Bullet Weight: 255 Grains
    • Bullet Style: Hard Cast Flat Nose

Ballistics Information:
    • Muzzle Velocity: 1300 fps
    • Muzzle Energy: 957 ft. lbs

Never really liked the G29 as a G20/1911 (full sized guns) offers better recoil control and the longer bbls/slides offer a longer sight pic and higher velocity.
    Last edited by Marco; 01-01-2014 at 08:15 PM.
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Please show me the 40SW load that matches?

Underwood ammoTechnical Information

• Caliber: 10mm Auto
    • Bullet Weight: 220 Grains
    • Bullet Style: Hardcast Flat Nose

Ballistics Information:
    • Muzzle Velocity: 1200 fps
    • Muzzle Energy: 703 ft. lbs.

As for excessive wear heavier springs can negate much of that. But it's not like you're going to be shooting this load all day punching paper..

Been shooting 10mm since 1990......

But, I would say if you don't already have a quality 10mm don't get one if you have a quality gun chambered in 45acp... as they can be converted to 400corbon/40super/ or 45super ( simple spring swaps most of the time) or my personal favorite 460Rowland

Underwood ammo
    Information
    • Bullet Weight: 230 Grains
    • Bullet Style: Speer Bonded Jacketed Hollow Point

Ballistics Information:
    • Muzzle Velocity: 1400 fps
    • Muzzle Energy: 1001 ft. lbs

Technical Information

• Bullet Weight: 255 Grains
    • Bullet Style: Hard Cast Flat Nose

Ballistics Information:
    • Muzzle Velocity: 1300 fps
    • Muzzle Energy: 957 ft. lbs
    I did cite modern loading charts, if you note in my post the terms 10mm and .40 are hyperlinked to charts.

Yes 10mm CAN be far more powerful, but few commercial manufacturers load to the original loading, most load to the FBI lite loadings. I'm not convinced a 10mm pistol would stand up to repeated use with a full power loading. Kind of like the smith k frame .357s where S&W told departments to only use .357 for carry and duty qualification and shoot .38 special for all other times. They could only take so much of that full loading...

NRA Member

I did cite modern loading charts, if you note in my post the terms 10mm and .40 are hyperlinked to charts.

Yes 10mm CAN be far more powerful, but few commercial manufacturers load to the original loading, most load to the FBI lite loadings. I'm not convinced a 10mm pistol would stand up to repeated use with a full power loading. Kind of like the smith k frame .357s where S&W told departments to only use .357 for carry and duty qualification and shoot .38 special for all other times. They could only take so much of that full loading...

So we agree 10mm has an advantage over 40sw for those that may need/want it. I named quite a few makers that load full house 10mm.
    Yes, and a 40SW loaded to max to try and match 10mm isn't going to far much better.. we already have reports of 40sw guns exploding.
    Now to be fair we don't always now what the shooter loaded to cause those 40SW to explosions.. but I have no personal knowledge of any 10mm blowing up.
    Still rocking my G2 G20.. and Colt Delta Elites bought new back in the 90's.
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Banned
    http://airbornecombatengineer.typepa...stol460ace.jpg

This 50 cal may have more punch ... ^^^

Why not a 10 mm ... if it floats your boat .. it will do the job

If you can rent one try it out. Do not listen to anyone crying about it isn't worth the cost. Get some underwood ammo for it and get to carrying. (After of course you thoroughly test it)

10 mm

I have 4 10mm Smith-wesson Dan wesson glock and thompson center encore

I hope you carry nothing but hi points, because anything else is just a waste of money.

Quote Originally Posted by wizzi01 View Post
    I hope you carry nothing but hi points, because anything else is just a waste of money.
    Hi points are a waste of a money. a Jennings J-22 is all you need......

NRA Member

Was going to start literally the same thread. Glad I searched.

As said in my .50 cal thread, 10mm is looking more and more like my next weapon of choice. I love the numbers that the .41 Mag puts out, but they are more rare than the 10mm. I also love the .357 Mag but I like a slightly bigger bullet and feel I can get better performance from the 10mm.

Let me start by saying I am not a Glock fan. I have never liked the ergonomics and I consider myself more of an all steel frame kinda guy. I picked up a Glock 29 10mm at the gun shop today though, and I hate to admit it, but I really liked it. I still have concerns though.

1) Will the lightweight nature of the frame exaggerate the added recoil of a 10mm at full load?

2) Can I find a mag or extended mag with an extended grip attachment made for 10mm?

3) Is it really that hard to find ammo?

Also, I would want to shoot as high velocity and high energy loads/bullets as possible. I would still carry my Sig P229 .40 in the city but the G29 would probably be more my "in the woods" carry, although I could see myself enjoying the 10mm more as an all-around carry piece.

I have also looked at the Colt Delta Elite and I think my grandaddy "later-in-life" choice would be a custom gunsmithed Sig P220 chambered in 10mm. In my head it's G29 - $630, Delta Elite - $1,000, Custom P220 - ~$2,300. I'm not against 1911 platform but I don't know if I want my 10mm to be a 1911.
    Last edited by The Truth; 09-07-2014 at 08:33 PM.
    Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis.

μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator
    So in actuality you have no evidence that anything wrong took place, you only believe that it could be spun to appear wrong. But it hasn't been. The truth has a funny way of coming out with persistence, even if it was spun negatively the truth would find its way because these people will not accept less.
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    The truth causes some people so much pain they can only respond with impotent laughable insults. Life must be rough for those people.

Well,,,

Check out the EAA Witness,,, they make steel and plastic 10mms, in 10 thru 15 round capacity,
    with SA/DA triggers,,, and they are in the 500$ range,,, see BudsGuns...
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

Thanks for the heads up!

I also answered my own question on grip extension for the G29. Found a product made by A&G that allows one to utilize the higher capacity G20 magazine while extending the grip. Pretty cool.

Also came across Double Tap and Buffalo Bore for hot loaded ammo.

I'm almost convinced I should pick up the G29. If anyone wants to talk me out of it speak now or forever hold your peace! Haha!

μολὼν λαβέ

So in actuality you have no evidence that anything wrong took place, you only believe that it could be spun to appear wrong. But it hasn't been. The truth has a funny way of coming out with persistence, even if it was spun negatively the truth would find its way because these people will not accept less.
    The truth causes some people so much pain they can only respond with impotent laughable insults. Life must be rough for those people.

Well,,,

Why G29?
    A short barrel in 10mm will probably be equal to a long barrel in .40!
    An ad in waguns.net is offering a G21 with many mags,,,
    with a G20 slide and barrel and many mags for 1050$ total,,
    or 640$ for just the G21.
    Im not a glock fan and prefer the witness,,
    But I really like a really full size!

Soo,, Do you just want a compact? Or do you want the full potential of the 10MM!!?
    Last edited by 1245A Defender; 09-08-2014 at 04:48 AM.
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

It seems like with the right load I can achieve true 10mm performance (or damn close) even in a compact.

Honestly the Glock 20 is one of the ugliest things I've ever seen. I like the aesthetics of the 29 better, and with the G20 mag it'll feel like a full size.

I don't know... I'm still undecided. I do ike that Witness Steel Full Size. I'm really thinking about it... it is a sweet piece.

μολὼν λαβέ

Having owned and reloaded for both the 10mm and 40s one can achieve higher velocity out of the 10mm.

I just found it was not worth it for defense against two legged predators.

In situations where I figure I well run into larger 4 legged predators I carry one of my Magnum revolvers.

Reloading and achieving reliability is a lot easier in revolvers then for semi autos. They well operate in larger parameters then semi autos well.

But each to is own.

If one wants a 10mm buy it that's is one of the nice things about living in most of the US we have many firearm choices.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

Thanks!

1245A Defender has gotten me really interested in the EAA Witness all steel frame.

My reasoning for going 10mm is that I love .40 caliber. My Sig .40S&W would be my weapon for use "in civilization," and the added ~300+ FPS and ~400+ ft. lbs. of energy from the 10mm hot loaded would make it a more effective "in the woods," weapon. I really like the idea of using a different sidearm depending on application.

I'm sure I will eventually acquire a Magnum revolver as well, but right now I'm on a big semi-auto kick and it seems to me .357 Mag is slightly edged by 10mm in regards to ballistics. Plus I'll take 14+1 hot 10mm loads vs 5 or 6 .357 loads.

μολὼν λαβέ

I got a Glock 20SF, bought a bunch of factory ammo to make brass for reloading, and bought new brass from Starline. It's incredibly soft with weak target loads (180 gr bullet with a fast powder). Using 180 gr jacketed bullets with a slow powder to higher velocities, it starts to get interesting, but it's controllable. Nothing like a 44 mag.

Once-fired brass is rare and expensive.

I was lucky to find 10mm JHP for carry. Factory ammo is incredibly hard to find, defensive JHP or bulk target FMJ. I think they shifted production to all other calibers during the ammo shortage. It's also very expensive, compared to .40 which is almost the same material.

Quote Originally Posted by The Truth View Post
    I'm sure I will eventually acquire a Magnum revolver as well, but right now I'm on a big semi-auto kick and it seems to me .357 Mag is slightly edged by 10mm in regards to ballistics. Plus I'll take 14+1 hot 10mm loads vs 5 or 6 .357 loads.
    I always said if one needs more shots then a revolver holds a high capacity semi auto is nice to have.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

EAA Witness Elite Match

Unless I can find a killer price on a S&W 1076 or Colt Delta Elite, it seems like the Witness Elite Match might be the hot ticket. Best mag capacity, best price, and maybe the best looking gun of the bunch too. I wish they sold it in blueing like the Delta Elite though...

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/7-G600650

μολὼν λαβέ

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast