• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

10mm

The Truth

LOL Glock, Kimber and EEA purposefully design firearms that are not able to fire standard ammo, no liability there at all.

ROTFLMAO the average guy will shoot enough to wear a firearm out.

All 10 mm ammo is about the same as 40 S&W, if you believe that you are truly stupid, sorry but I do not know any other way to say that.

10 mm has so much recoil that it is hard to handle, only real men can take recoil on that level. Any real men up for the challenge of, wait for it, full power 10 mm loads? Remember only a real man can take that kind of recoil so only real men need purchase a 10 mm. Don't ever claim we did not warn you. You can take your buddy out shooting and show him how a real man can handle the severe recoil from a 10 mm if you buy one today.

HAHAH! Yeah I'm not sure what to say to someone who thinks .40 = 10mm. Maybe in crappy factory 10mm loads...but that just ignorant.

My .40 is my "little gun." Haha. I don't think I would personally ever shoot anything weaker than a .40, or smaller than my P229. I just put together a .460 Rowland and love it so much that I want more out of my daily carry. I will shoot Underwood Ammo exclusively through my Rowland and my 10mm until I acquire handloading equipment. From my research Underwood is the next best thing. I've been saving all my .460 brass and plan on doing the same for the 10mm. I wish Underwood would sell hot loaded HST rounds in 10mm.

I personally love recoil. I love overbuilt machines. I don't like the thought of needing more muscle and not having it. Struggling is no fun. I like overpowering targets.

I was soooo close to buying a 10mm before I got my Rowland. Down to a coinflip on a gunbroker auction (a certain other poster can attest to this) but the price just wasn't right on a S&W 1006. After I got sick of having my heart broken on the 1006/1026 I decided on the Rowland. I wish I could carry it daily but it's just way too much gun to use for SD in the city. I don't feel comfortable carrying it in town. Too much penetration. I'll carry it occasionally at night in higher stress situations, but that's rare.

I honestly have always been against owning a Glock. I've never been a fan of their design or how they look. Never been a huge fan of striker fired guns either. If Sig made a 10mm that's what I would own. I've heard rumors of a P220 10mm coming out soon, but I can't wait and honestly I think the Glock 20 is the only Glock I would ever own. And now I do :) Seems like a must-have no-brainer pistol to me. I'm also going to pick up a Lone Wolf barrel and a 9x25 Dillon conversion barrel.

The .40 with 165gr HSTs is just magnificent. Almost perfect for self defense IMO. But the 155gr 10mm XTP I think with give me exactly what I want. If I were to handload my SD rounds, I'd go with a hot loaded 180gr HST bullet I think. That would be brutal. As far as woods carry, obviously that's the function of the Rowland, but I'd still be comfortable with a 10mm.

Turns out the missus has fallen in love with the CZ75D Compact 9mm, so that'll likely be the next addition to the family.

Firearms Iinstuctor

Personally recoil is a bad thing I think the perfect gun would have the recoil of a 22 short target gun mag cap. of 30 rounds weigh 10oz. and the hitting power of a 44mag.

But as of now that's not possible.

So we have to decide what is the best for each of us.

I can do follow up shots on target a lot faster with a 9mm, 38spl and 40 then I can do them with full power 357s, 10mms and those are faster then full power loads out of my 44mags and follow up shots with that is faster the the 500S@Ws I have shot.

So the point of all this is chose what you want and carry what works for you knowing your skill level with each.

bloodstone1311

I plan on getting a Glock G20,probably a SF model.I am not enamored with the 10mm as the perfect cartridge for everything like some are,rather what gets my attention about the G20 is that it is easy to convert it to other calibers.Lone Wolf Dist. makes barrels to convert 20/29 pistols to .357,.40S&W,and other not so common rounds like .400 and I think .440 Cor-Bon,9x25 Dillon,and 9mm Para too,however for some of these you have to modify the stock Glock mags to feed it.Advantage Arms makes .22 conversion kits for most every model of Glock.Buy a used slide assembly and G21 mags from a G21/.45 ACP,it'll slide right on.It has the potential to be converted to 7-8 different calibers,the LWD barrels are about $115 apiece.$200-250 for the .22 and $3--something for a G21 slide.Plus the Glock will stand up to the full house 10 better than some of the metal frame guns over time.

The Truth

I plan on getting a Glock G20,probably a SF model.I am not enamored with the 10mm as the perfect cartridge for everything like some are,rather what gets my attention about the G20 is that it is easy to convert it to other calibers.Lone Wolf Dist. makes barrels to convert 20/29 pistols to .357,.40S&W,and other not so common rounds like .400 and I think .440 Cor-Bon,9x25 Dillon,and 9mm Para too,however for some of these you have to modify the stock Glock mags to feed it.Advantage Arms makes .22 conversion kits for most every model of Glock.Buy a used slide assembly and G21 mags from a G21/.45 ACP,it'll slide right on.It has the potential to be converted to 7-8 different calibers,the LWD barrels are about $115 apiece.$200-250 for the .22 and $3--something for a G21 slide.Plus the Glock will stand up to the full house 10 better than some of the metal frame guns over time.

Good post! I finally got my Glock 20 Gen 4. I hate to admit it, but I love it. I'm normally a Sig guy, but Glock got this one right. I didn't get the SF model and I still think it rules, but I have fairly large hands. You will love it either way!

I plan on stocking a 9x25 Dillon barrel. The other calibers you named are cool, but I already have a .460R so I don't see a need to have any of those too :)

bloodstone1311

Good post! I finally got my Glock 20 Gen 4. I hate to admit it, but I love it. I'm normally a Sig guy, but Glock got this one right. I didn't get the SF model and I still think it rules, but I have fairly large hands. You will love it either way!

I plan on stocking a 9x25 Dillon barrel. The other calibers you named are cool, but I already have a .460R so I don't see a need to have any of those too :)

I just bought my first Sig the other day,a Tac-Ops 1911 Carry model .45.Great gun so far. As far as the calibers go I personally don't care for the harder to find cartridges such as the Cor-Bon and Dillon loads.But being able to shoot .22,.357,.40 and .45 out of the same gun I like.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I just bought my first Sig the other day,a Tac-Ops 1911 Carry model .45.Great gun so far. As far as the calibers go I personally don't care for the harder to find cartridges such as the Cor-Bon and Dillon loads.But being able to shoot .22,.357,.40 and .45 out of the same gun I like.
Don't know what caliber you seek, but I have not had a problem locating/purchasing Cor-Bon.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Corbon-Ammo/Browse.aspx?Keywords=Corbon

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/656_814/Corbon+Ammo/

http://www.hinterlandoutfitters.com/corbon-ammunition-m-10.html

Please explain "Dillon loads" :question:

The Truth

He may be referring to the 9x25 Dillon. They aren't hard to find at all, just not very common at retail stores.

Mainsail

I've been carrying my S&W 1076 regularly lately and although it's a big heavy gun, it carries very well. Of course, the Don Hume pancake holster with the thumb-break helps a lot. I have a G20SF and a G29SF but only carry the 20 when I'm on the trail.

I carry it concealed until I get inside (restaurant etc) and then openly. No drama and it doesn't pull my pants down.

I carry it loaded with Underwood XTP 180gr, which I'll eventually replace with the 200gr loading.

http://www.underwoodammo.com/10mmauto180grainxtpjacketedhollowpointboxof50.aspx
http://www.underwoodammo.com/10mmauto200grainxtpjacketedhollowpointboxof50.aspx

attachment.php

Attachments

• 10s02.jpg
    10s02.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 627
Last edited:

bloodstone1311

I meant the 9x25 Dillon cartridge.I've never seen it stocked at any local shops.I don't have so much a problem of finding Cor-Bon as purchasing it....$25 for 20 rounds?I can shoot steel case .40 S&W at 5 rounds for what 1 round of that costs! It's not worth it to me for my money. It's not as powerful as a 10mm,if I want more power I'll get a 10,in the Glock 20s case it would already be a 10 to start with and convert it down for practice with the cheap .40.

(I just traded for a G21SF...will soon have a 10mm slide and associated replacement caliber barrels for it)

The Truth

I've been carrying my S&W 1076 regularly lately and although it's a big heavy gun, it carries very well. Of course, the Don Hume pancake holster with the thumb-break helps a lot. I have a G20SF and a G29SF but only carry the 20 when I'm on the trail.

I carry it concealed until I get inside (restaurant etc) and then openly. No drama and it doesn't pull my pants down.

I carry it loaded with Underwood XTP 180gr, which I'll eventually replace with the 200gr loading.

http://www.underwoodammo.com/10mmauto180grainxtpjacketedhollowpointboxof50.aspx
http://www.underwoodammo.com/10mmauto200grainxtpjacketedhollowpointboxof50.aspx

attachment.php

I love the S&W 10xx series pistols. I hope to own a 1026 one day...almost bought one before I decided to build my .460R first.

That 1076 is sweet. Is it an FBI gun?

4sallypat

I love 10mm Auto.

My first gun was a S&W 1076 but the gun was so heavy being all steel.

Now, my current 10mm is the G20 and G29. Even though I also like 40S&W for self defense, the 10mm is better for wider range of use.
NReFSN.jpg

I always take my 10mm whenever I travel - it has the ability to take loads that can handle the 2 legged and 4 legged predators.
Last year I flew to Alaska and took my G20 with 2 types of ammo - 165gr JHP for 2 legged types and 220gr lead hardcast for 4 legged bears....

As a matter of fact, in a few weeks, I will be flying into Colorado for some skiing & tourist activities and will be taking my G29 for OC :banana:

Since CO doesn't recognize non resident CCW permits I have to OC.... :mad:

Here is my G29 in an outside holster for OC and ski suit for CO:

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
:lol:

It could be the blurry pic, but are those Nosler JHP bullets?

According to Mainsail's link on that same post/page, they are Underwood 10mm Auto 200 Grain XTP Jacketed Hollow Point - Nosler is not noted in the description.

Seems as though it is though. Check this out.

Here is your real time source for ammo - be patient while the whole thing loads - I linked direct to 10mm.
http://www.gunbot.net/ammo/pistol/

The Truth

According to Mainsail's link on that same post/page, they are Underwood 10mm Auto 200 Grain XTP Jacketed Hollow Point - Nosler is not noted in the description.

Seems as though it is though. Check this out.

Here is your real time source for ammo - be patient while the whole thing loads - I linked direct to 10mm.
http://www.gunbot.net/ammo/pistol/

They had to be Noslers! I only shoot one Nosler bullet - 185gr .460R for self defense.

I think the prettiest JHP is the Speer Gold Dot. My favorite self-defense round design is still the Federal HST. I carry 'em in my .40.

I've shot Nosler Partitions out of my 30.06 most of my life too though.

Thanks for the links!

Last edited: