• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in Denver while in Private Property....?

GTShooter

Just wondering how this works.

I work in Denver and do not have a CC permit. But I figured since I drive in from Englewood and park in private property. I usually OC from my car to the entrance of my building early in the AM. Im usually the 1st or 2nd person in the building so I OC in my building into my office.

After I get to my desk I put my handgun in my drawer and do not pull it out until Im about to leave at 4pm.

What would happen if I ever shot an intruder in our building??

I work in a building that has recieved several threats in the past, and 1 actual break in where some type of chemical where spread in our lobby. So thats why I carry at work. Most of my coworkers know about my handgun and nobody has really ever said anything.

Ive always figured.... well since im in private property I should be fine... is this correct?

OC for ME

Do you "own" the property? If not, who gives you permission to be armed on "their" property? Is the parking lot also private property?

It seems, based on knowledgeable folks posting here on the OCDO Colorado sub-forum, that the walk to and from the building could be problematic in Denver-ish.

GTShooter

No I do not own the property.

It is the organizations property and the parking lot is in said property. I really havent asked for authorization yet most of my coworkers know I carry including management.

fighting_for_freedom

I assume then that you have implied permission. It may be wise to get something in writing, just in case you are ever hassled for carrying. People's opinions and 'permissions' have a nasty little way of changing when law enforcement get involved.

GTShooter

I think I just need to get my CC permit and not deal with this kind of crap anymore.

Bpdenverco

Watch out

Ok, as long the private property does not have a sign posted, no weapons. Then you are ok.but you should check out your company's policy on having weapons.
Give you a example. I work for Home Depot. No weapons end of story. Even on my day off going to another store, I can't carry even with my CCW.

Last but not least. And this is to all..even if you have a CCW, it does not mean you can discharge a weapon, if the city you are in such as aurora, where you are not allowed to discharge a weapon....

Hope this helps

OpenCarryDenver.Org

cch10000

Just my opinion and I am not a Lawyer

As long as the owner of the property has no problem you are go to go,on private property, if you walk onto a public sidewalk you are not ,,

As far as Home depot goes, I have carried in several and never had anything but positive remarks and good experiences

dischage of a weapon in city limits is a crime, unless you are in fear of your life, so be careful if you ever do have to pull as to what you say to LEO , my advice watch the you-tube video about not talking to the law its great

good luck
ch

Bpdenverco

Just my opinion and I am not a Lawyer

As long as the owner of the property has no problem you are go to go,on private property, if you walk onto a public sidewalk you are not ,,

As far as Home depot goes, I have carried in several and never had anything but positive remarks and good experiences

dischage of a weapon in city limits is a crime, unless you are in fear of your life, so be careful if you ever do have to pull as to what you say to LEO , my advice watch the you-tube video about not talking to the law its great

good luck
ch

I am talking as a employee, of Home Depot. Not a customer, customers can even open carry.
In addition their are like 6 states where a employee can bring in their car, but still not bring arms into the store...

PikesPeakMtnMan

I am talking as a employee, of Home Depot. Not a customer, customers can even open carry.
In addition their are like 6 states where a employee can bring in their car, but still not bring arms into the store...

My girlfriend works for Home Depot and finds that to be an asinine policy. Ridiculous that she can't carry even if we're at a store that isn't hers on her day off, but I certainly can. She tends to shop at HD before she leaves for the day or we, together, shop an other hardware/home improvement stores.

Saxxon

Becuase of positions on other issues, I generally shop at Lowes now. Given their policy against your wife's rights, perhaps you should to (I know, its her paycheck, but its also her freedom).

PikesPeakMtnMan

Becuase of positions on other issues, I generally shop at Lowes now. Given their policy against your wife's rights, perhaps you should to (I know, its her paycheck, but its also her freedom).

She has a lot invested in the company, as they do in her (she's significantly more than a mere cashier or other entry-level position) as well as many years involved. As to her safety and freedom, many of her co-workers are very good friends and they all definitely look out for each other...I can personally attest than even unarmed she's quite safe at her store with everyone who's got her back. Of course something random could happen but between her life experiences and mine neither of us worry about the randomness of life, though we do try to mitigate what we can.