Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: OT - "You're on your own..."

  1. #1
    Regular Member HeesBonafide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    152

    OT - "You're on your own..."


  2. #2
    Regular Member Strike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    53
    Quote Originally Posted by HeesBonafide View Post
    When seconds counts, police are only minutes away.

  3. #3
    Regular Member FMCDH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    2,043
    Quote Originally Posted by Strike View Post
    When seconds counts, police are only minutes away.
    30 of em it sounds like.


    Here is a little reality check for some people.

    Where I am in Sonoma County, I live 2 blocks (less than 1/4 mile as the crow flies) away from the cities "public safety" HQ, and exactly .9 miles by car.

    Even if I call 911 and request help, and even if there is a patrol officer waiting to be dispatched at the HQ, I can expect AT LEAST a four minute wait for an officer to get to my front door. I know, because I have driven it at best speed, with no traffic.

    I also know, the police HQ here is not staffed with patrol officers 24/7 just waiting to be called, as most are out and about actually answering calls.

    If you would like a simple and "relatively safe" home demonstration of how long 4 minutes actually is relative to your safety, and what can happen in that amount of time, ASSUMING you have the opportunity to actually call for help, have a friend or family member whip your bare arm with a light rope (like a shoe lace) for 4 minutes, at full strength.

    I bet you will beg them to stop before that 4 minutes are up.

    Now imagine someone beating or stabbing you, or worse, someone you love for that same amount of time.

    You think the attacker will listen to you beg?

  4. #4
    Regular Member bmg50cal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    WA - North Whidbey/ Deception Pass
    Posts
    307
    Quote Originally Posted by FMCDH View Post
    30 of em it sounds like.


    Here is a little reality check for some people.

    Where I am in Sonoma County, I live 2 blocks (less than 1/4 mile as the crow flies) away from the cities "public safety" HQ, and exactly .9 miles by car.

    Even if I call 911 and request help, and even if there is a patrol officer waiting to be dispatched at the HQ, I can expect AT LEAST a four minute wait for an officer to get to my front door. I know, because I have driven it at best speed, with no traffic.

    I also know, the police HQ here is not staffed with patrol officers 24/7 just waiting to be called, as most are out and about actually answering calls.

    If you would like a simple and "relatively safe" home demonstration of how long 4 minutes actually is relative to your safety, and what can happen in that amount of time, ASSUMING you have the opportunity to actually call for help, have a friend or family member whip your bare arm with a light rope (like a shoe lace) for 4 minutes, at full strength.

    I bet you will beg them to stop before that 4 minutes are up.

    Now imagine someone beating or stabbing you, or worse, someone you love for that same amount of time.

    You think the attacker will listen to you beg?
    Call the CGPD from the TRACEN. The way I've seen them drive, they might get there sooner.
    Last edited by bmg50cal; 03-08-2013 at 05:04 AM.

  5. #5
    Regular Member FMCDH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    2,043
    Quote Originally Posted by bmg50cal View Post
    Call the CGPD from the TRACEN. The way I've seen them drive, they might get there sooner.
    LOL

    Do they have a reputation for fast driving? Frankly, I have rarely seen them move.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Winlock, , USA
    Posts
    501
    The police are not required to respond at all, and the facxt that they do is just a perk. We've known that for a long time. Check out DeShaney v. Winnebago County, Castle Rock v. Gonzales, et al...

  7. #7
    Regular Member decklin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Pacific, WA
    Posts
    764
    I live in Pacific. Most of the police here have either been fired by the mayor or have quit. Even when the department was fully staffed the department was closed at night. We generally have zero police presence during the day and at night. We rely on police from Auburn to help and I have even seen cruisers from Black Diamond in town.

    If you were to call the police department after it closes you get a message telling you to call 911 regardless of whether it is an emergency or not. I have called about one of my neighbors multiple times because of their late night parties and barking dogs. The dogs bark day and night. The owners just ignore it. I have called maybe 8 or 9 times. The police showed up once almost three hours later.

    Now I need to figure out who to call in regards to the trailer of garbage they keep next to my house that attracts rats, possums, racoons and stray cats.

    Did you know racoons hiss?
    "Loyalty above all else except honor. " -John Mahoney

    "A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have." -Gerald R. Ford

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Bremerton/Ellensburg
    Posts
    50
    Apparently law enforcement have no constitutional duty to protect us (Warren v. District of Columbia), so we are practically on our own...

    It's a shame one LEO said having a gun was a "luxury". That means "self-protection" must be a "luxury" for police officers and armed law-abiding citizens who carry on a daily.
    Last edited by XDNick9; 03-08-2013 at 03:30 PM.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Long gone
    Posts
    2,575
    Quote Originally Posted by decklin View Post

    Did you know racoons hiss?
    #4 buck makes that stop.

  10. #10
    Regular Member FMCDH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    2,043
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hayes View Post
    #4 buck makes that stop.
    +1 for buck shot

    Just don't use bird shot anywhere but at point blank range, you will just piss it off.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Winlock, , USA
    Posts
    501
    raccoons also purr

  12. #12
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338
    Jimmy John's would get there faster....
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  13. #13
    Regular Member bmg50cal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    WA - North Whidbey/ Deception Pass
    Posts
    307
    Quote Originally Posted by FMCDH View Post
    LOL

    Do they have a reputation for fast driving? Frankly, I have rarely seen them move.
    I saw them flying down the road off base a few times, lights going and sirens screaming. One time they passed me as I was headed to Petaluma, a few minutes later I passed them on the scene of a cow/car crash. I don't think the cow was going to make it.

  14. #14
    Regular Member F350's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    The High Plains of Wyoming
    Posts
    1,030
    Quote Originally Posted by Strike View Post
    When seconds counts, police are only minutes and a jelly donut away.
    Just judging by that cop in the opening shot.

  15. #15
    Regular Member FMCDH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    2,043
    Quote Originally Posted by bmg50cal View Post
    I saw them flying down the road off base a few times, lights going and sirens screaming. One time they passed me as I was headed to Petaluma, a few minutes later I passed them on the scene of a cow/car crash. I don't think the cow was going to make it.
    While dead skunks are a daily occurrence out in that area, I don't think I have ever seen a cow hit. A major dairy farm is on one of the main roads nearby.

    Part of the reality of farm country I guess.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •