• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OT - "You're on your own..."

FMCDH

When seconds counts, police are only minutes away.

30 of em it sounds like.

Here is a little reality check for some people.

Where I am in Sonoma County, I live 2 blocks (less than 1/4 mile as the crow flies) away from the cities "public safety" HQ, and exactly .9 miles by car.

Even if I call 911 and request help, and even if there is a patrol officer waiting to be dispatched at the HQ, I can expect AT LEAST a four minute wait for an officer to get to my front door. I know, because I have driven it at best speed, with no traffic.

I also know, the police HQ here is not staffed with patrol officers 24/7 just waiting to be called, as most are out and about actually answering calls.

If you would like a simple and "relatively safe" home demonstration of how long 4 minutes actually is relative to your safety, and what can happen in that amount of time, ASSUMING you have the opportunity to actually call for help, have a friend or family member whip your bare arm with a light rope (like a shoe lace) for 4 minutes, at full strength.

I bet you will beg them to stop before that 4 minutes are up.

Now imagine someone beating or stabbing you, or worse, someone you love for that same amount of time.

You think the attacker will listen to you beg?

bmg50cal

30 of em it sounds like.

Here is a little reality check for some people.

Where I am in Sonoma County, I live 2 blocks (less than 1/4 mile as the crow flies) away from the cities "public safety" HQ, and exactly .9 miles by car.

Even if I call 911 and request help, and even if there is a patrol officer waiting to be dispatched at the HQ, I can expect AT LEAST a four minute wait for an officer to get to my front door. I know, because I have driven it at best speed, with no traffic.

I also know, the police HQ here is not staffed with patrol officers 24/7 just waiting to be called, as most are out and about actually answering calls.

If you would like a simple and "relatively safe" home demonstration of how long 4 minutes actually is relative to your safety, and what can happen in that amount of time, ASSUMING you have the opportunity to actually call for help, have a friend or family member whip your bare arm with a light rope (like a shoe lace) for 4 minutes, at full strength.

I bet you will beg them to stop before that 4 minutes are up.

Now imagine someone beating or stabbing you, or worse, someone you love for that same amount of time.

You think the attacker will listen to you beg?

Call the CGPD from the TRACEN. The way I've seen them drive, they might get there sooner.

Last edited:

oneeyeross

The police are not required to respond at all, and the facxt that they do is just a perk. We've known that for a long time. Check out DeShaney v. Winnebago County, Castle Rock v. Gonzales, et al...

decklin

I live in Pacific. Most of the police here have either been fired by the mayor or have quit. Even when the department was fully staffed the department was closed at night. We generally have zero police presence during the day and at night. We rely on police from Auburn to help and I have even seen cruisers from Black Diamond in town.

If you were to call the police department after it closes you get a message telling you to call 911 regardless of whether it is an emergency or not. I have called about one of my neighbors multiple times because of their late night parties and barking dogs. The dogs bark day and night. The owners just ignore it. I have called maybe 8 or 9 times. The police showed up once almost three hours later.

Now I need to figure out who to call in regards to the trailer of garbage they keep next to my house that attracts rats, possums, racoons and stray cats.

Did you know racoons hiss?

XDNick9

Apparently law enforcement have no constitutional duty to protect us (Warren v. District of Columbia), so we are practically on our own...

It's a shame one LEO said having a gun was a "luxury". That means "self-protection" must be a "luxury" for police officers and armed law-abiding citizens who carry on a daily.

Last edited:

bmg50cal

LOL

Do they have a reputation for fast driving? Frankly, I have rarely seen them move.

I saw them flying down the road off base a few times, lights going and sirens screaming. One time they passed me as I was headed to Petaluma, a few minutes later I passed them on the scene of a cow/car crash. I don't think the cow was going to make it. :p

FMCDH

I saw them flying down the road off base a few times, lights going and sirens screaming. One time they passed me as I was headed to Petaluma, a few minutes later I passed them on the scene of a cow/car crash. I don't think the cow was going to make it. :p

While dead skunks are a daily occurrence out in that area, I don't think I have ever seen a cow hit. A major dairy farm is on one of the main roads nearby.

Part of the reality of farm country I guess.