Thread: Senate committee OKs bill curbing gun purchases

Senate committee OKs bill curbing gun purchases

As if the title weren't bad enough, there's this too.

http://news.yahoo.com/senate-committ...-politics.html

"We know that many guns used in criminal activities are acquired through straw purchases. We need a meaningful solution to this serious problem," Leahy said.
    Anyone else curious as to how they absolutely, definitively, KNOW that many guns are acquired this way? Did they do a prison poll?

Lacking agreement with Coburn, Schumer planned to seek a vote by the Judiciary Committee on a bill resembling a measure he initially proposed two years ago. It would require background checks for nearly all gun sales, with narrow exemptions including one for transactions between close relatives. It would also cut federal aid for states that don't send enough mental health records to the federal background check network a widespread problem that has fueled critics' complaints that the current system should be fixed before it is expanded.
    Mentally ill people = $$$. And, what exactly, qualifies as "enough"? 100 reports? 1100?

Hope none of you folks are on antidepressants, sleep aids or had an imaginary friend as a kid.

My imaginary friend was not imaginary, he was real.....to me. You do not get to decide who is imaginary and who is not, I do.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

*Puts on grammar hat on top of psychologist's hat*

You used past tense in referring to your real imaginary friend; if he was real, then in what way did he cease to exist?

The voices tell me this bill suxs.
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

I'm with Walking Wolf and his voices on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by PistolPackingMomma View Post

You used past tense in referring to your real imaginary friend; if he was real, then in what way did he cease to exist?

Death. It's what happens to one's imaginary friend when their imagination dies.

Quote Originally Posted by PistolPackingMomma View Post

My friend stayed back on the plantation, where I was forced to leave the plantation, in order to be able to feed the federal beast his pound of flesh annually. My friend is known to have been far smarter than I.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare