• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry to borough council building.

Arunk

I have a borough meeting coming up locally that I wish to attend. I open carry my glock 19 in a serpa 2 daily. I wish to do the same at the council meeting. I'm certain this is legal however I think worst case situation they may ask me to leave suggesting I'm disrupting the meeting or some other lame duck excuse. Do they have any grounds to remove me if I'm legally carrying and not being outwardly disruptive? After all I'm a tax payer, and have the right to be there right? There have been some very serious shootings in our town in the last year and I'm sure I will unnerve some people but that is their lack of understanding...not mine. I'm always sure to be friendly and presentable because I understand I'm representing all gun owners but if someone insists on passing judgement on me without educating themselves what I can do right?

Curmudgeon

There are no state laws prohibiting carry in the buildings of your local municipality, provided
the building has no courtrooms or detention facility. State law actually prohibits the
municipality from prohibiting carry. If they are going to tell you to leave it has to be for
some reason other than just because you are carrying.

Cite: http://www.pa2a.org/wiki.php?wid=43

18 Pa.C.S. § 6120. Limitation on the regulation of firearms and ammunition.

(a) General rule.--No county, municipality or township may in any manner regulate the lawful

ownership, possession, transfer or transportation of firearms, ammunition or ammunition
components when carried or transported for purposes not prohibited by the laws of this
Commonwealth.

(a.1) No right of action.--

(1) No political subdivision may bring or maintain an action at law or in equity against any
firearms or ammunition manufacturer, trade association or dealer for damages, abatement, injunctive
relief or any other relief or remedy resulting from or relating to either the lawful design or manufacture
of firearms or ammunition or the lawful marketing or sale of firearms or ammunition to the public.
(2) Nothing in this subsection shall be construed to prohibit a political subdivision from
bringing or maintaining an action against a firearms or ammunition manufacturer or dealer for breach
of contract or warranty as to firearms or ammunition purchased by the political subdivision.
(b) Definitions.--As used in this section, the following words and phrases shall have the meanings
given to them in this subsection:
"Dealer." The term shall include any person engaged in the business of selling at wholesale or
retail a firearm or ammunition.
"Firearms." This term shall have the meaning given to it in section 5515 (relating to prohibiting of
paramilitary training) but shall not include air rifles as that term is defined in section 6304 (relating to
sale and use of air rifles).
"Political subdivision." The term shall include any home rule charter municipality, county, city,

borough, incorporated town, township or school district.
(Oct. 18, 1974, P.L.768, No.260, eff. imd.; Dec. 19, 1988, P.L.1275, No.158, eff. 180 days; Oct. 4,
1994, P.L.571, No.84, eff. 60 days; Dec. 15, 1999, P.L.915, No.59, eff. imd.)
Source: http://www.legis.state.pa.us

Last edited:

Arunk

There are no state laws prohibiting carry in the buildings of your local municipality, provided
the building has no courtrooms or detention facility. State law actually prohibits the
municipality from prohibiting carry. If they are going to tell you to leave it has to be for
some reason other than just because you are carrying.

Cite: http://www.pa2a.org/wiki.php?wid=43

Awesome. I can even cite that. Thanks!