Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26

Thread: No carry at local bank...

  1. #1
    Regular Member Kotyaer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    ESVA
    Posts
    31

    No carry at local bank...

    Just a heads up for those of us on the shore (all two of us, maybe more...) Shore Bank on Chincoteague Island had a rather verbose no-guns sign on their front door. Plenty large enough to be seen while parking. I haven't checked the other branch on the shore down in Onley, and have not gotten a response from their "customer care" group about it.

    Bank at PNC if you need to get cash, plenty of those, and they certainly don't seem to be upset by the LAC.

  2. #2
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,606
    Picture of that sign would be beneficial.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  3. #3
    Regular Member ProShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Posts
    4,671
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Picture of that sign would be beneficial.
    ..or a description of the alleged verbosity!
    James Reynolds

    NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    101

    Open Carry at bank is very important

    Bank of Hampton Roads has a sign basically saying no weapons, backpacks or hoodies “For the safety of our customers”. I was taking my wife there the other day to open a personal checking account until I saw that sign on their door. We went down the street to the Wells Fargo at 2677 Virginia beach blvd to open an account while open carrying. The assistant bank manager noticed my gun and asked what model it was and said that he was a “gun guy” himself. We talked about local shows, etc for a few minutes. That makes 2 out of the 3 Wells Fargos I have been to in this area pro-gun. Lets support them with our business.

    Lynnhaven mall: Pro Gun
    2677 Virginia beach Blvd.: Pro Gun
    Providence Square VA Bch: Manger: Roth-Antigun

    I think that being able to open carry in banks and financial institutions is far more important than being able to open carry into restaurants etc. as a bank visit makes you more of a target for criminals after leaving than a restaurant visit does; and you could easily be standing in line when someone trys to do a robbery. Once my brother was leaving a bank with cash in hand (teller forgot to give him an envelope) and he had no pockets. A trashy looking customer started staring at his money; but saw me in the car staring at him and decided to just go in instead of trying something.

    Another time my father used an ATM back in the early 1980s when they first came out and ans 2 trashy guys walked up to him and asked if he had gotten at least $100 out. My father looked at them and said $1000 and they just walked away. Being 6’3 and 270 probably helped! This all happened in Maryland where normal people have no right of self defense and we have to resort to such tactics to stop criminals. I tell these stories just to state how easily something can go down at a bank. And also to remind Virginias how blessed we are to live in a state where we have gun rights.

    PS Did anyone ever get anything official from Wells Fargo on their policy? It seems like they are at least defacto pro-gun with a few Wachovia antigun holdouts like Mr. Roth; but something in writing from a V.P. or district manager would be nice.
    Last edited by Mongoose72; 03-09-2013 at 12:37 AM.

  5. #5
    Regular Member HearseGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    172
    Glad to know theres more of us on the shore!

    Thanks for the tip. Shore Bank in Cape Charles also has said sign, you know, for my protection...so they dont see me anymore.
    Last edited by HearseGuy; 03-09-2013 at 02:09 PM.
    Additional text for your reading pleasure...

  6. #6
    Regular Member JesterP99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Richmond, Va
    Posts
    172
    I have gotten fairly positive responses while carrying in Bank of America. Both times I went in to get new debit cards I carried and no negative problems. I did however get asked what my profession was by a bank teller because they were all "scared" because I had been carrying. It's funny that they have gotten rid of the armed guards in most of their locations though.

    I think not being able to carry into a bank is the same as Jared not allowing you to carry, just doesn't make too much sense.

  7. #7
    Regular Member TFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Most historic town in, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    7,705
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterP99 View Post
    I have gotten fairly positive responses while carrying in Bank of America. Both times I went in to get new debit cards I carried and no negative problems. I did however get asked what my profession was by a bank teller because they were all "scared" because I had been carrying. It's funny that they have gotten rid of the armed guards in most of their locations though.

    I think not being able to carry into a bank is the same as Jared not allowing you to carry, just doesn't make too much sense.
    Perhaps, but BoA stinks for FAR too many other reasons for me to ever walk into a branch.

    TFred

  8. #8
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    Perhaps, but BoA stinks for FAR too many other reasons for me to ever walk into a branch.

    TFred
    No kidding! That's the very last place I'd bank with.

  9. #9
    Regular Member scouser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    1,232
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterP99 View Post
    I have gotten fairly positive responses while carrying in Bank of America. Both times I went in to get new debit cards I carried and no negative problems. I did however get asked what my profession was by a bank teller because they were all "scared" because I had been carrying. It's funny that they have gotten rid of the armed guards in most of their locations though.

    I think not being able to carry into a bank is the same as Jared not allowing you to carry, just doesn't make too much sense.
    If you really think BoA is positive then perhaps you should read item #8 from the VCDL mini update of Feb 20th

    ************************************************** *******
    8. Time to boycott Bank of America - anti-liberty bank shuns local gun dealer
    ************************************************** *******

    I got the following email from Richard Hanes and I have personally called Gary Lewis, who owns Gary's Guns & Transfers, to confirm. And it is even worse than described in that email - Bank of America is now demanding that Gary AND his WIFE close out all their company AND personal loans, checking, and savings accounts and cease to be a customer of BOA! Gary's accounts and safety deposit box are all in excellent standing and have been for the last TWENTY YEARS.

    When Gary went to the bank to close out his safety deposit box, and, for the first time ever at that bank, there was an armed guard present.

    I have bought guns from Gary and he has always struck me as professional and ethical. This attack on him is uncalled for and we need to all walk away from Bank of North Korea, er, America.

    -

    Gary Lewis, owner of Gary's Guns & Transfers, is my neighbor and good friend. I helped him a lot when he was starting his business about 5 years ago after he purchased Jim Jarrett's inventory when NYC/Bloomberg forced Jim to shut down.

    I sent him an email about Bank of America shutting down Gun manufacturer's accounts some time ago.

    He just called me to tell me that BOA had just done the same to him, without cause or reason. They even locked up his safety deposit box and
    restricted his access, telling him he had to make an appointment to empty his safety deposit box and if he did not do so they would drill it and take
    the contents!

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    796
    Quote Originally Posted by scouser View Post
    If you really think BoA is positive then perhaps you should read item #8 from the VCDL mini update of Feb 20th
    And that's the dang problem -- finding a 2A friendly bank, that doesn't instead infringe upon on other rights, and that isn't a @$%# animal in their business dealings, oh -- and that actually has a branch nearby (my home, my business). I've had to settle for a bank that is pretty much "just" 2A non-friendly, and won't do anything other than the drive-through.

  11. #11
    Regular Member scouser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    1,232
    I can only speak for my own experience, but I haven't had a problem at my local Suntrust branch. I've walked in there carrying, wearing a baseball style hat and sunglasses (which I'm in the process of removing and placing on top of the hat as I walk in .. not because of any security concerns they might have over me hiding my eyes but simply to make it easier for me to see what I'm doing) and all I ever get is a "welcome to Suntrust" greeting. Other people have told me they have had similar experiences at VA Credit Unions.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    796
    Quote Originally Posted by scouser View Post
    I can only speak for my own experience, but I haven't had a problem at my local Suntrust branch. I've walked in there carrying, wearing a baseball style hat and sunglasses (which I'm in the process of removing and placing on top of the hat as I walk in .. not because of any security concerns they might have over me hiding my eyes but simply to make it easier for me to see what I'm doing) and all I ever get is a "welcome to Suntrust" greeting. Other people have told me they have had similar experiences at VA Credit Unions.
    Unfortunately Suntrust is on my list of those with business practices that I'm not comfortable with.

  13. #13
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fairfax Co., VA
    Posts
    18,766
    Get enough of us together, and maybe we can start the Open Carry Credit Union--a full service, 100%-reserve bank.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

    If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

    There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

  14. #14
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,606
    Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    Get enough of us together, and maybe we can start the Open Carry Credit Union--a full service, 100%-reserve bank.
    OCCU - all of our employees are armed. That is the thing of which dreams are made.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  15. #15
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fairfax Co., VA
    Posts
    18,766
    Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    Get enough of us together, and maybe we can start the Open Carry Credit Union--a full service, 100%-reserve bank.
    Of course, we would offer special tall, narrow safe deposit boxes.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

    If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

    There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Suffolk Virginia
    Posts
    699

    Re: No carry at local bank...

    Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    Get enough of us together, and maybe we can start the Open Carry Credit Union--a full service, 100%-reserve bank.
    What would it take to get one started?

    Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

  17. #17
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fairfax Co., VA
    Posts
    18,766
    Quote Originally Posted by mpguy View Post
    What would it take to get one started?

    Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    I don't know; but, I'll bet it would take a few million dollars and twenty squadrons of Cossack cavalry to hack through the regulatory red tape.

    Also, if we're going to operate at 100% reserve, then we're going to have to figure out how to keep money coming in to make loans since we won't be able to loan depositors' money or pyramid on top of it to make loans.*



    *Fractional reserve banks don't actually loan the depositors' money out to others. That's a cute elementary school explanation. The bankers have taken that a lot further. Here's how it actually works. You deposit, say, $1000. The bank does not loan out $900 of your money. Oh, no. They've got an even better trick. They leave your $1000 in place, and create $9000 out of thin air that they loan out. This sounds simple enough, and leaves one wondering how it can be called fractional reserve banking if they leave your money in place. Here's how. When they loan that money to Marsha to buy a car, she writes a check to the car dealer. The car dealer deposits that check at their bank. The car dealer's bank then sends that check back to the lending bank for payment on the check. Which the lending bank has to pay. Fractional reserve banking is a huge balancing act making sure those checks coming back do not wreck the bank. In the end, the bank still only has in its reserves a fraction of what it would need to pay off all its obligations. If all the people, including depositors, demanded their money at one time, the bank would either temporarily close or fold.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

    If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

    There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

  18. #18
    Activist Member nuc65's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Lynchburg, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,121
    Quote Originally Posted by mpguy View Post
    What would it take to get one started?

    Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    Not much, but there is a lot of paperwork.
    When I carry a gun, I don't do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I'm looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don't carry it because I'm afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid. It doesn't limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force.

    excerpt By Marko Kloos (http://munchkinwrangler.wordpress.com/?s=major+caudill)

  19. #19
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    Quote Originally Posted by mpguy View Post
    What would it take to get one started?
    Connect the dots: http://www.ncua.gov/Resources/CUs/Dev/Pages/Start.aspx

    You do not need scads of money - just the ability to resist loaning out more than you can cover.

    40-some-odd years ago I was part of a group that started a credit union. 25 original members and the biggest loan we made in the first 2 years was $500 for a used car. They now have 25K+ members and offer mortgages. The procedure is basically the same now as it was then.

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  20. #20
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fairfax Co., VA
    Posts
    18,766
    Hey! These low dollar start-up sums sound better and better.

    As to loaning out more than you can cover: that's the whole point of 100% reserve. No loaning depositors' money.

    I'm thinking such a bank would be more of a broker--connecting people with money to loan with people wanting to borrow.
    Last edited by Citizen; 03-11-2013 at 02:02 PM.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

    If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

    There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

  21. #21
    Regular Member wylde007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Va Beach, Occupied VA
    Posts
    3,037

    Exclamation

    Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose72 View Post
    PS Did anyone ever get anything official from Wells Fargo on their policy? It seems like they are at least defacto pro-gun with a few Wachovia antigun holdouts like Mr. Roth; but something in writing from a V.P. or district manager would be nice.
    It has been posted somewhere on here before, but the long and short of it is that Wells Fargo defers to state law on carry, as so they should.
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

    Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

  22. #22
    Regular Member Kotyaer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    ESVA
    Posts
    31
    Sorry for not doing a follow-up, been busy between work, figuring out this homeowner crap, and hunting ammo unicorns.

    I can get a pic of the door next time I make it over to Chincoteague or Onley, but no sense driving 45 mins to take a picture of a door of a building that I have no legal right, and no desire to enter.

    I think it's amazing that out here in the "sticks" a local bank such as Shore Bank, would be so anti-guns.

  23. #23
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotyaer View Post
    Sorry for not doing a follow-up, been busy between work, figuring out this homeowner crap, and hunting ammo unicorns.

    I can get a pic of the door next time I make it over to Chincoteague or Onley, but no sense driving 45 mins to take a picture of a door of a building that I have no legal right, and no desire to enter.

    I think it's amazing that out here in the "sticks" a local bank such as Shore Bank, would be so anti-guns.
    Are you in Accomac?

  24. #24
    Regular Member HearseGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    172
    I can get a pic of the one in Cape Charles if you'd like. If I remember, its pretty small and says something to the effect of "for your protection, no backpacks, no firearms, and remove hoods before entering". I'll probly be in Onley later this week too.

    Kotyaer its very strange, but almost everywhere I go on the shore I get some kind of comment or funny look. Nothing negative, but something anyway. I'm in VB all the time and have only had one comment. And that was to ask "how ya like that Glock"? I will would have expected the exact opposite.
    Additional text for your reading pleasure...

  25. #25
    Activist Member Wolf_shadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Accomac, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,213
    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    Are you in Accomac?
    No I am in Accomac, he's up north, near Oak Hall - Greenbackville area. Hearseguy is down south near the bottom end. Were starting to pickup here on the Shore.
    Yes I carry a Bible and a Gun, your point.
    Vindiciae Contra Tyrannos (meaning: "A defence of liberty against tyrants")
    Benjamin Franklin said, "A government that does not trust it's citizens with guns is a government that should not be trusted."



Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •