• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Need help for gun debate

sudden valley gunner

I have been asked to debate a very progressive gun control advocate, Monday....this is my first debate.

The debate format is....

Introduction....(tell who you are) 5 min..

10 min for the rest ( 5 for cross examination)

1st for constructive

cross examination

2nd for constructive

cross examination

2nd against constructive

cross examination

for reubttal

questions from the audience

The question the debate will center around: Is it the duty of the Government to regulate the sales and ownership of certain firearms?

sudden valley gunner

Can you tell us what you have prepared already?

Nothing....just got notice of this last night.....

Was thinking if I can get a bunch of Ideas I'll make an outline this this weekend....

My approach may be how other prohibitions have a poor history of working.

Last edited:

OC for ME

The debate question is based on a false premise.

Substitute "gun" for car, or radio, or lawnmower, or hair dryer. All of which can be misused to commit a crime.

Liberals own one or more of the items I have listed. If you can force your opponent to admit that the government has a duty to regulate any item that can be misused in a crime then the liberal has lost the debate.

You have lost the debate before the debate has begun.

conandan

The best thing to do is use the truth and facts. They can't argue facts. Know the constitution and don't let them use the emotional tactics. Be confident and speak clearly and calmly. You should have no trouble with this debate. If you speak the same way you post comments on here you will have it made. You seem to me to be quite knowledgeable on the issue's and can articulate your points very well. Good luck and let me know how it goes..

Aknazer

The question the debate will center around: Is it the duty of the Government to regulate the sales and ownership of certain firearms?

No. The Constitution is very clear and has been incorporated into the states. Then I would break down the Second Amendment, show how the "well regulated militia" actually relates to the amendment (how "well regulated" at the time of writing meant "well trained," how practically all able-bodied males were/are a part of the unorganized militia, and how the "militia" is simply part of the justification for this right and the need to not have it infringed upon), and then define what "infringe" means and how regulating the "sales and ownership" is an infringement and why it doesn't pass strict scrutiny.

Then there's gun cases, here's a few good ones from US vs Miller (taken from the wiki):

"In the absence of any evidence tending to show that possession or use of a 'shotgun having a barrel of less than eighteen inches in length' at this time has some reasonable relationship to the preservation or efficiency of a well regulated militia, we cannot say that the Second Amendment guarantees the right to keep and bear such an instrument."

and

"The significance attributed to the term Militia appears from the debates in the Convention, the history and legislation of Colonies and States, and the writings of approved commentators. These show plainly enough that the Militia comprised all males physically capable of acting in concert for the common defense. 'A body of citizens enrolled for military discipline.' And further, that ordinarily when called for service these men were expected to appear bearing arms supplied by themselves and of the kind in common use at the time."

Obviously I disagree with the end ruling of the case, but one can use these quotes to directly show the flaw in the final ruling. The first shows how weapons that would have a use for a militia can't be regulated (issue with the case was one of "no evidence") and the second quote reaffirms via court case what was discussed in the first bit about militia service and how militiamen have to be able to supply their own weapons.

For a third and final point I would show how prohibition hasn't worked. Whether it's the Eighteenth Amendment, the "War on Drugs," or the various gun bans around the world (great place to show how around the world crime in general has gone up with gun bans), prohibition doesn't work. Can also show how issues have gone down when the bans were lifted (prohibition crime, Portugal drug issues, and overall crime in DC since I'm not sure what's up with Chicago).

Then I would be prepared to deal with things like how many "kids" are injured/killed per year (includes kid gang-members and typically the numbers include those up to either 19 or 24 depending on source), the gunshow "loophole," assault weapons (and how it's a made-up term), GFZs (and how they don't work), and some other standard hoplophobe standard arguements/misinformation. Probably won't use all of these, but better to be prepared for it in case the other person uses them than to be blindsided by at least the common arguements.

The bigger issue is trying to cram such a large subject into only five minutes for the debate. Oh and gunfacts.info is a great site for a bunch of information in a consolidated place.

georg jetson

SNIP

More precisely, are they asking if it's the duty of ANY government or is it the duty of the government as defined by the US Constitution?

If it is the latter, then it is easy to show that the government has no authority unless the constitution is amended. It removes their silly argument about nuclear weapons in private hands. We have an amendment process and it's reasonable to believe that an amendment giving the government power to regulate nukes would pass the rigorous course of the amendment process. Point out that the amendment process is difficult on purpose to keep the simple majority from trampling rights.

Simply put, it is the duty of our government to stay within the confines of the constitution.

Freedom1Man

Shall not be infringed.

No right to police protect/no duty for police to protect you.

Police are armed with X because they might run into Y situation. A citizen could run into the same Y situation and so should be as well (min) armed as X.

Regulated free speech how you get the message out there. Lack of constitutionally GRANTED authority to regulate firearm ownership.

Just ideas to think about.

Aknazer

Oh another good one, how the fedgov recently called AR15s "PDWs" (personal defense weapons) when buying 7,000 of them.

davidmcbeth

Banned
I would just read part of the US DOJ brief in the US v. Miller case .... then watch people go "what????" cause they have been brainwashed ...

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
No. The Constitution is very clear and has been incorporated into the states. Then I would break down the Second Amendment, show how the "well regulated militia" actually relates to the amendment (how "well regulated" at the time of writing meant "well trained," how practically all able-bodied males were/are a part of the unorganized militia, and how the "militia" is simply part of the justification for this right and the need to not have it infringed upon), and then define what "infringe" means and how regulating the "sales and ownership" is an infringement and why it doesn't pass strict scrutiny.

Then there's gun cases, here's a few good ones from US vs Miller (taken from the wiki):

"In the absence of any evidence tending to show that possession or use of a 'shotgun having a barrel of less than eighteen inches in length' at this time has some reasonable relationship to the preservation or efficiency of a well regulated militia, we cannot say that the Second Amendment guarantees the right to keep and bear such an instrument."

and

"The significance attributed to the term Militia appears from the debates in the Convention, the history and legislation of Colonies and States, and the writings of approved commentators. These show plainly enough that the Militia comprised all males physically capable of acting in concert for the common defense. 'A body of citizens enrolled for military discipline.' And further, that ordinarily when called for service these men were expected to appear bearing arms supplied by themselves and of the kind in common use at the time."

Obviously I disagree with the end ruling of the case, but one can use these quotes to directly show the flaw in the final ruling. The first shows how weapons that would have a use for a militia can't be regulated (issue with the case was one of "no evidence") and the second quote reaffirms via court case what was discussed in the first bit about militia service and how militiamen have to be able to supply their own weapons.

For a third and final point I would show how prohibition hasn't worked. Whether it's the Eighteenth Amendment, the "War on Drugs," or the various gun bans around the world (great place to show how around the world crime in general has gone up with gun bans), prohibition doesn't work. Can also show how issues have gone down when the bans were lifted (prohibition crime, Portugal drug issues, and overall crime in DC since I'm not sure what's up with Chicago).

Then I would be prepared to deal with things like how many "kids" are injured/killed per year (includes kid gang-members and typically the numbers include those up to either 19 or 24 depending on source), the gunshow "loophole," assault weapons (and how it's a made-up term), GFZs (and how they don't work), and some other standard hoplophobe standard arguements/misinformation. Probably won't use all of these, but better to be prepared for it in case the other person uses them than to be blindsided by at least the common arguements.

The bigger issue is trying to cram such a large subject into only five minutes for the debate. Oh and gunfacts.info is a great site for a bunch of information in a consolidated place.

"well regulated" meant, "to keep and make regular" at the time the document was written.*

*source: Judge Andrew Napolitano

sudden valley gunner

Thanks for the replies guys! Keep them coming .....please.....

The question is a poorly framed one I agree on that, but I know the moderator and she is pro gun, runs the WWU Libertarian group. So I think she will be more fair than if a progressive moderator was running it. And she said the question is a general one for government in General, fortunately for me my state has a strong constitution for individual rights and bearing arms.

I appreciate the good suggestions.....keep them coming ....please....;)

As suggested I will try to reframe the question to one of constitutionality and logic.

Statistics don't = cause....guns are not the root of the problem...

True meaning of the 2A,

How do minorities protect themselves from the tyranny of the majority, (if they believe majority rule, then I'll mention he must think the judge who struck down California's Prop 8 was bad),
Also along this bring out the Battle of Hays Pond

Use OC's suggestion of restricting all the other things that can be used in a crime or are dangerous.

Break down the fallacy of "certain type of weapons" to basically they want to outlaw the looks of a weapon.

sudden valley gunner

Went Well!

The debate went well, despite my short time of prep and not ever having debated formally before. I fully expected to be on the short end of the debate, yet the exact opposite happened.

Several of the points and suggestions you guys made helped tremendously.

I redirected the conversation right from the beginning away from emotives, and took away his ability to use statistics, but at the same time was able to use statistics to make my point! ;)

I took more of a tac of educating on what the 2A means, and basically quoted the Virginia Consitution, because the explanation is including in it.

Showed how prohibition is the most major contribution to homicide and not guns. Statistics from around the world show there are no co-relation to homicide and private gun ownership.

Asked him as suggested by OC For me, in a rebuttal to his first part, because he set himself up for it, if he would impose restrictions on, everyday items that are used to assault people.

He mentioned my view of 2A wasn't realistic and that the government wouldn't be dragging us out of our houses too.....I pointed out that recent history doesn't show that, and how can he trust a government that says it's Ok to kill Americans with drones on American soil? I mentioned the growing use of SWAT teams and the carnage created by them.

He thought people having guns escalates SWAT breaking into your home, I countered the easy solution is get rid of "No Knock Warrants".....

I could go on it lasted twice as long as it was supposed to mostly because of the intrigue of the students..........

It was loads of fun!

tyc

I have been asked to debate a very progressive gun control advocate, Monday....this is my first debate.... The question the debate will center around: Is it the duty of the Government to regulate the sales and ownership of certain firearms?

What did YOU learn from this debate?

tyc

palerider116

The writings of St. George Tucker are great resources.

Mystraighttalk.com by David Bozarth. I just sat on a forum panel with him. Genius.

sudden valley gunner

Any link to a video, or audio from the debate?

I don't think so. I saw a few Iphones raised but don't know if there are any available pics or video, I hope not......lol.....hate to see myself on camera and hear my voice....

What did YOU learn from this debate?

tyc

First debate of this sort, I have no "higher education" so that whole experience was a learning experience for me and I learned how that goes, of course it was advertised as an "informal" debate.

I made mental notes on trying to shorten some of my expanations, and to be a little less redundant. The audience are not dumb they get my points.

I didn't have time to make an outline like I normally do, that was a mistake because in the heat of the moment words swirl on paper a bit, and i had to pause a few times to find my spot or points I had written down.

I thought I'd have to cover a lot more hard to cover the anti points than I did. Part of it was I beat him to the punch on many of the points he was going to make, I lucked out on that, so he had to change what he was going to say.

I learned to be more proactive, in cross, after his first constructive I really had no questions, until the audience questioned, I picked up on this, on was better at that in my next few crosses. Like asking him where these massacres occurred, he listed towns and places, I then asked him what they had in common and made him admit they were in GFZ's. When started going on about voting, I asked if he believed in the rule of "majority" he knew where I was going and responded with a comment about protecting the rights of the minority, to which I countered guns are one way minorities protect themselves from the majority.

I also learned that debating is fun, and that doing it in front of a group of people really is not much different than doing it one on one, especially if you arm yourself with knowledge.

stealthyeliminator

On the subject of prohibitions not working - I was watching a TV show (I know, I know!) that was saying that the legalization of gambling in Mississippi was done in an effort to take down the Dixie Mafia, and that it pretty much worked. Of course, seeing as that was a TV show, I don't have any references for you, so I guess it isn't that helpful to share. But, if you thought it was worthwhile, you might be able to find enough infromation and facts about it that it could be used. In my opinion, the act of legalization of something, anything, being used in an effort to take down a crime ring is a pretty significant. It kind of takes their "reduce crime by banning X" thing and flips it on it's head. Reduce crime by legalizing whatever the criminals are monetizing and people will use more legitimate avenues to acquire, reducing crime's cash flow.

But IMO that isn't really relevant to the debate subject. That only speaks to the effectiveness of prohibitions, not whether or not the government has the authority to TRY to enact one. If the government's authority was based on their effectiveness I think they'd end up with no authority at all. Right? Right?? haha

Sorry I'm not that helpful but I thought that the legalization of gambling part of the Dixie Mafia show was pretty interesting and also pretty relevant to the topic, even if it couldn't really be used in debate.