• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First Open Carry around Pikeville

KyDevilDog

I have been a voyeur of this site for over a year. I just now started to open carry on a regular basis. I used to when I was going to get firewood, 4 wheeler riding, ect. My first real open carry was at a double quick I frequent often. The kinda new girl at the register kept glancing at my sidearm. It was on my right hip, while my billfold was in my left. She never made a comment about it but I could tell she was a little nervous. The next day, I was went back to the same store, the manager asked me if I was in there with a gun the day before. I said yes, like this, showed her my sidearm in the holster. She said it was not against store policy, and off the record she loves it when regulars open carry in there. I thanked her for talking to me, and she said she would talk to the employees about how it is legal and encouraged.

My second stop was at a local gun/furniture store that I purchased a couple firearms from. I was also welcomed in there with open arms. That was expected though. From there, I stopped at a local auto parts dealer that I have known the owners for most of my life. Again, not a issue for me to be in there with a firearm. So far, my open carry experiences have been all positive. Even though, most stops have been in places I frequent many times a week it seems.

I would really like to invest in a better holster. I have a cheap nylon one at the moment. I am carrying a cheap hi point .45 because I don't care to get it scratched up, holster wear, ect on the cheap gun compared to the glock 9mm or glock .45 we have. I think I need to get some kind of recording device for when I am away from the places out of my normal run around. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I would also like to thank everyone for the information that has been put on this site. It has helped me a lot.

self preservation

I have been a voyeur of this site for over a year. I just now started to open carry on a regular basis. I used to when I was going to get firewood, 4 wheeler riding, ect. My first real open carry was at a double quick I frequent often. The kinda new girl at the register kept glancing at my sidearm. It was on my right hip, while my billfold was in my left. She never made a comment about it but I could tell she was a little nervous. The next day, I was went back to the same store, the manager asked me if I was in there with a gun the day before. I said yes, like this, showed her my sidearm in the holster. She said it was not against store policy, and off the record she loves it when regulars open carry in there. I thanked her for talking to me, and she said she would talk to the employees about how it is legal and encouraged.

My second stop was at a local gun/furniture store that I purchased a couple firearms from. I was also welcomed in there with open arms. That was expected though. From there, I stopped at a local auto parts dealer that I have known the owners for most of my life. Again, not a issue for me to be in there with a firearm. So far, my open carry experiences have been all positive. Even though, most stops have been in places I frequent many times a week it seems.

I would really like to invest in a better holster. I have a cheap nylon one at the moment. I am carrying a cheap hi point .45 because I don't care to get it scratched up, holster wear, ect on the cheap gun compared to the glock 9mm or glock .45 we have. I think I need to get some kind of recording device for when I am away from the places out of my normal run around. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I would also like to thank everyone for the information that has been put on this site. It has helped me a lot.

One of the reasons that I OC is because from time you time you get the chance to educate people. It seems that you are doing the same. I, as well as everyone else on here would agree that you need to always (OC'ing or not) wear a recorder. And always have it running. Don't wait til you need it to try to start recording. I'm glad that your OC experiences have been positive, but OC like anything else, you will one day have a not so great day. Just be prepared for it. As for a holster...if I can't break the retention with a single finger or my thumb, I don't want it.

Last edited:

mem1977

I OC all over the eastern Kentucky area and all the way into Lexington. I've never had any problems. People are always pleasant and kind. I've never had any problems with LE either. I think its all in how you dress and act in public. I have seen one or two people carry opening, but never had the chance to meet and greet with them. I've had people ask me if I was LEO. When I tell them no, they ask me then why are you carrying a gun like that. Don't you need a permit. I say no you don't. As long as you're legal to own you have the right to OC. I always do my best to educate people. I tell people that they are their first responder and I quote them Article 1, Section 1, Paragraph 7 of the Commonwealth Constitution. They respond with I didn't know that. I reply to them by saying learn, don't be blind.

Keep up the good fight my peeps.

:monkey:banana:

Last edited: