• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

good logic or bad?

bellyfat

i carry a hamerless 38 snubby.
my reasoning is; safety and reliability. the only way for that gun to fire is a long heavy trigger pull.
its compact, and i carry it cc at times and oc at times. i have a cc holster and a oc holster.
since most encounters are at arms lenghth to 10 feet, i feel like the snubby does good up to 20 ft.
so that should cover most likely scenario's.
i think it would be difficult for most to try to grab the gun from my hand at close range,and i know a trick that would keep it from going off
in a gun wrestle scenario.
also the hammerless feature prevents snaging on your clothing and accidental cocking of the hammer
i am open to any comments about this logic... carry on.

Last edited:

SFCRetired

Don't know that much about hammerless revolvers, but I will say that what you carry and how you carry it is very much a personal preference thing. If you are comfortable with what you carry and how you carry it, that is all that really matters.

I usually OC a Springfield Armory clone of a Colt Combat Commander in .45 ACP. I carry it "cocked and locked" which occasionally elicits comments questioning why my firearm is cocked. Usually ends up with a good conversation.

bellyfat

Don't know that much about hammerless revolvers, but I will say that what you carry and how you carry it is very much a personal preference thing. If you are comfortable with what you carry and how you carry it, that is all that really matters.

I usually OC a Springfield Armory clone of a Colt Combat Commander in .45 ACP. I carry it "cocked and locked" which occasionally elicits comments questioning why my firearm is cocked. Usually ends up with a good conversation.
dont know much about bored privates with too much time, but i agree about a 2nd louie with a map and a compass.

FreeInAZ

I have literally seen a cloverleaf shot by a co-worker at a range at 50ft with a two inch 38spl from a bench rest. If it works & you can shoot it well - you're way ahead of a lot of people out there today, ;)
coltdick-1023.jpg

Firearms Iinstuctor

I have literally seen a cloverleaf shot by a co-worker at a range at 50ft with a two inch 38spl from a bench rest. If it works & you can shoot it well - you're way ahead of a lot of people out there today, ;)
View attachment 10088

The best shot I made with mine was head shooting a coyote at 32 yards double action after running a mile.

They can be accurate its the shooter the causes the most problem.

Firearms Iinstuctor

Wow! Remind me never to get on your bad side! You sir are a fine shot. :D

I was shooting competitions at the time 400 to 500 rounds a week running 10Ks in under 40 min. My younger eyes could see the sights. Even better I thought was the coyote I head shot at 49 yards with my S@W3913 but that was with a rest.

The closest and biggest was at 10 feet I was still hunting with my bow and came that close to him. I killed him with my 4inch 357 he weighed 52lbs one big yote.

bunnspecial

I am very firmly of the opinion that the biggest detriment to accuracy in any gun, regardless of style, action type, barrel length, caliber, or any other metric is the "nut behind the trigger." At least that's what I was told years ago, and I've come to realize its truth.

carracer

I think it's a great choice. I cc a Charter Arms DA .38 on occasion. It's as accurate as I am and pleasant to shoot and carry. It's actually my wifes. ( My man card subject to being repealed... it's a Pink Lady .38 Hope it never has to be deployed.)

WalkingWolf

I think it's a great choice. I cc a Charter Arms DA .38 on occasion. It's as accurate as I am and pleasant to shoot and carry. It's actually my wifes. ( My man card subject to being repealed... it's a Pink Lady .38 Hope it never has to be deployed.)

I once owned a pepto bismal 63 Mercury, some people claimed it was pink.:uhoh:

WalkingWolf

I thought was called titty pink

My wife and I were having a discussion about that car tonight. She swears it was not pink, but it was the color of pepto, it was a big thing and popular color back then. IMO it was pinker that her titties, I never took any pictures of that car, darnit, but I might be able to find one on the internet with that color, I believe it was factory.

7255064784_09c47c1bb3_m.jpg

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

WW did ya get pics of her titties?
Would that be another definition of open carry?

We are not pic type of people, now in some instances I wish we were that we are getting older. We used to have some naughty pics of her, but if I could find them it would be a no no to post them here. We used to go to PDC in Greensboro, and YKW in Erwin before it was shut down, plus some private parties, so it is not like they have not been seen. We haven't been active in the lifestyle for sometime, guess we have kinda outgrown it.

Samopal

Sound logic. Those traits are what keep S&W J-frames and other hammerless small-frame revolvers among the top carry guns year after year. Even though revolver sales in general have suffered the last few decades, small-frame revolvers still fly off the shelves.