• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Iowa House committee approves bill to keep gun records private

cablebob

Associated Press Updated: 6 March 2013

Gun permit records would be kept private under a bill that has cleared a state House committee.

The House Judiciary Committee on Wednesday unanimously approved the measure, which would make the name, address and other personal information on gun permit records private.

The records of people seeking to buy or carry guns now is public in Iowa.

The issue came up after a suburban New York City newspaper published an interactive online map listing the names and addresses of thousands of permit holders.

Republican Rep. Matt Windschitl, of Missouri Valley, says the bill would protect Iowans who don’t own guns from criminals who could seek the information and then target them.

Sauce: http://thegazette.com/2013/03/06/iowa-house-committee-approves-bill-to-keep-gun-records-private/

Kromwell

Rep's response

This is the response I got Pat Murphy.... they need to learn to spell check, and not sound so ignorant. They also voted AGAINST keeping our info private. I plan to vote against this a-typical self-serving d-bag.

Thank you for your email.

I support a person's right to bear arms. That is why I sponsored the 2nd amendment to the state constitution. I also supported a person's right that a sheriff shall issue a permit to carry a concealed weapon; however, I do support these as public records and should be available to the public. The only records at a courthouse that are not public are some divorce cases. cases involving children, mentally ill, and substance abuse. These permits should be public information just like any other document.

Sincerely,

Pat Murphy