Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting Complacent.

Getting Complacent.

I was out doing some shopping in Lacey today. I stopped at Sportsmans Warehouse to see if they had any .40 S&W in stock.

I noticed a gentleman whom looked to be in his late forties or early fifties. He was open carrying. To my surprise there was no magazine in his firearm. I thought that I would stop and talk to him before I asked him about his lack of a magazine.

When I spoke with him I asked him some questions like how long he's been carrying and why he open carries. We had a pretty good conversation.

One of the last thing I asked him was if he always carries loaded? He said ALWAYS.

When I informed him that he was lacking a magazine, he turned a very bright shade of red and left quickly. I think he may have forgot something...

Remember guys... Don't get complacent.

Stay safe.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

That's why every morning when I put on my guns I check the magazine and do a press check.
    "Loyalty above all else except honor. " -John Mahoney

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have." -Gerald R. Ford

Chamber check, mag check every time I put my gun on.

I don't ever unload my daily firearm, so I am not sure why I would need to check it. Clearly the guy you came across unloads the gun for some reason. Mine simply is never unloaded, unless it is after a trip to the range/cleaning.
    Live Free or Die!

Quote Originally Posted by gogodawgs View Post
    I don't ever unload my daily firearm, so I am not sure why I would need to check it. Clearly the guy you came across unloads the gun for some reason. Mine simply is never unloaded, unless it is after a trip to the range/cleaning.
    Same here. It comes off my belt and onto the nightstand or in the safe. Always loaded.

Kinda like being told... "Your zipper is down"!

Necessary, but, still embarrassing.

+1
    I Am Not A Lawyer, verify all facts presented independently.

It's called the "American Dream" because you have to be asleep to believe it. - George Carlin

I carry a spare tire, in case I have a flat. I carry life insurance, in case I die. I carry a gun, in case I need it.

I used to carry my SR9 in a cheap Mikes IWB holster when I was waiting for my first crossbread. I was in a store and as I was adjusting my waistband I noticed my mag was missing. Somehow the mag release got pressed enough for the mag to fall between my seat and center councel in my truck.

I only use good holsters now for that reason. And I often double check when not in obvious plain sight, mostly just because it happened that one odd time.
    Small Business Owner---> Forward Motion Performance. Auto Services, 2A supporter, your gun is welcome and gets you a discount!
    Gun Rights Advocate---> I'll stand up for your rights, even if you don't think it's important.

Now who was that, a year or two ago that went about carrying loaded all day to include a get together and to find his chambered round was a "SNAP CAP" !!!!

I fully agree, stay cognizant of our firearm.
    • Being prepared is to prepare, this is our responsibility.
    • I am not your Mommy or Daddy and do not sugar coat it but I will tell you simply as how I see it, it is up to you on how you will or will not use it.
    • IANAL, all information I present is for your review, do your own homework.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hayes View Post
    Chamber check, mag check every time I put my gun on.

Ditto, even though i never unload unless i am shooting or cleaning.
    +thought for the day+
    ++victory needs no explanation, defeat allows none++

Quote Originally Posted by BigDave View Post
    Now who was that, a year or two ago that went about carrying loaded all day to include a get together and to find his chambered round was a "SNAP CAP" !!!!

I fully agree, stay cognizant of our firearm.
    Haha, that was Eric Sandoval, aka "snappy", unfortunately Eric passed away about a year and a half ago... RIP

Live Free or Die!

Not necessarily.

Depending on the type of seats he has in his car, its quite possible the magazine got ejected. My car seats are of the "semi body hugging" type, and if I am wearing a pistol with anything but a stiff magazine release, it can sometimes push the button in the pinch between me and it. My Sigs don't seem to have this issue, but I have had it happen with my M&Ps.

I never lost the magazine entirely to the point I didn't notice it fell out of the well like this poor fellow, but I have found it loose in the well a few times.

Now I just don't wear a pistol that is prone to this, but it made me aware that it can happen.
    Last edited by FMCDH; 03-08-2013 at 09:01 PM.

Mine is never unloaded unless I am cleaning, ran it dry on purpose or am dry firing it, but I still check each and every time I holster. I dry fire quite a bit which means the gun is unloaded and then reloaded when I am finished. I got in the habit because I never want to in the heat of the moment question did I reload it.
    Last edited by Jeff Hayes; 03-08-2013 at 09:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FMCDH View Post
    Not necessarily.

Depending on the type of seats he has in his car, its quite possible the magazine got ejected. My car seats are of the "semi body hugging" type, and if I am wearing a pistol with anything but a stiff magazine release, it can sometimes push the button in the pinch between me and it. My Sigs don't seem to have this issue, but I have had it happen with my M&Ps.

I never lost the magazine entirely to the point I didn't notice it fell out of the well like this poor fellow, but I have found it loose in the well a few times.

Now I just don't wear a pistol that is prone to this, but it made me aware that it can happen.
    It's not always the fault of the firearm. How many people are carrying in inexpensive "one size fits many" holsters. Uncle Mike's type holsters are notorious for releasing mags when they shouldn't because of the lack of a recess for the mag release button in the holster.

Ditto for those who try to make a leather holster work by just forcing the firearm into it.

If the holster isn't properly designed to carry the firearm, usually being specifically made for the firearm, this is a constant risk.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

Yeah... I went out one time without a magazine in the well, but I had a round in the chamber and a "spare" magazine in pouch. I found it that way myself when I went to use a public restroom. It was embarrassing enough as it was, so from then on every time I holster up before going out; I always smack the mag and check the witness hole (no need for a press check). Otherwise, I keep my EDC loaded at all times, excluding of course cleaning, changing magazines, dry fire practice, etc.
    Last edited by bmg50cal; 03-09-2013 at 10:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike View Post
    When I informed him that he was lacking a magazine, he turned a very bright shade of red and left quickly. I think he may have forgot something...
    Heh...that's like forgetting to put on pants...

Quote Originally Posted by amlevin View Post
    It's not always the fault of the firearm. How many people are carrying in inexpensive "one size fits many" holsters. Uncle Mike's type holsters are notorious for releasing mags when they shouldn't because of the lack of a recess for the mag release button in the holster.

Ditto for those who try to make a leather holster work by just forcing the firearm into it.

If the holster isn't properly designed to carry the firearm, usually being specifically made for the firearm, this is a constant risk.
    Also an excellent point. I have noticed the same.

Being as i'm a Texan who will be visiting friends in Tacoma in may and will be traveling to two major forests in the area a long with olympia and seattle. I have to ask, I thought WA state law said that someone without a valid WA CPL must unload and disarm when getting into your vehicle? I have a valid Texas CHL but WA does not honor it. Since a non-resident permit can take up to 60 days and I must submit finger prints in person. I can't get a valid WA CPL before hand. I have open carried in New Mexico and Colorado with no issues before.
    Last edited by dirtyrice; 03-10-2013 at 03:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtyrice View Post
    Being as i'm a Texan who will be visiting friends in Tacoma in may and will be traveling to two major forests in the area a long with olympia and seattle. I have to ask, I thought WA state law said that someone without a valid WA CPL must unload and disarm when getting into your vehicle? I have a valid Texas CHL but WA does not honor it. Since a non-resident permit can take up to 60 days and I must submit finger prints in person. I can't get a valid WA CPL before hand. I have open carried in New Mexico and Colorado with no issues before.
    I have heard of same day service in Kitsap and Klickitat counties for non-resident CPL and there is no need to unload for vehicle carry with a license that WA honors.

Sheriff Boyer (Kitsap County) is a big supporter of CPLs and his office issues them quickly, but not same day service. most people get theirs in 4 to 6 business days I believe.

considering our Texan friend will be in Tacoma, I'd just make the drive to Port Orchard so he can get his license, give his texas address and then he'll have a CPL for when he visits another time.

Also you don't need a CPL in order to carry a gun loaded open or concealed while traveling to and from a legitimate outdoor recreation area (RCW 9.41.060) so if you're getting in the car to go to the "major forests" you can carry your firearm loaded while in the car. just make sure you have your hiking gear in the car and be wearing outdoor type attire, this is the statute here. The deal is, the way the statute is worded the onus is on you to demonstrate you are in fact traveling to your spot in the forests, so wear those hiking boots and your mossy oak shirt and have your pack in plain view in the car....

RCW 9.41.060
    Exceptions to restrictions on carrying firearms.

The provisions of RCW 9.41.050 shall not apply to:............

........ (8) Any person engaging in a lawful outdoor recreational activity such as hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, or horseback riding, only if, considering all of the attendant circumstances, including but not limited to whether the person has a valid hunting or fishing license, it is reasonable to conclude that the person is participating in lawful outdoor activities or is traveling to or from a legitimate outdoor recreation area;
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

NRA Member

Well all I wear is boots I'll be wearing my gortex lined danners. I did plan to bring a pack and such for the trails. I do not have a hunting or fishing license but I didn't plan on doing either while there. I see from reading and looking at the site that lists positive,neutral,negative oc experiences on a map it seems the area has a relatively decent attitude towards oc. I just didn't want to be having to rack the slide and reholster every time I got out of the car. If I could get a WA CPL same day or even next day that would be great. A WA permit is cheap compared to the $300 it will cost in Texas to get your first one.
    Last edited by dirtyrice; 03-10-2013 at 08:14 AM.

Some quotes...

Quote Originally Posted by j2l3 View Post
    Kitsap County Sheriff Office in Silverdale.... usually same day issuance...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Starks View Post
    Kitsap has a fast turn around IF you already have an out of state permit/license. If you don't have one at all you are still looking at a waiting period.
    Quote Originally Posted by sirpuma View Post
    I don't know about non-residents, but both my wife and I have been in and out in a couple hours.
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/...ml#post1990973

My WA non-rez took about an hour. This was from Klickitat Co.

By the time I got back upstairs from fingerprinting, they had it printed and ready to go.

(I'm guessing that since it had been less than 30 days since the background check for my OR license, that it was still considered "current")
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/...ml#post1461290

I'm an Oregon resident, but I live right across the river from WA, so I figured a WA CPL might be a good idea.

When I first got my CPL, I walked in, gave them the paperwork, and walked out with license in hand in half an hour. They ran the check while I was being fingerprinted.

Thank you Klickitat County!
    Last edited by bmg50cal; 03-10-2013 at 08:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    Sheriff Boyer (Kitsap County) is a big supporter of CPLs and his office issues them quickly, but not same day service. most people get theirs in 4 to 6 business days I believe.

considering our Texan friend will be in Tacoma, I'd just make the drive to Port Orchard so he can get his license, give his texas address and then he'll have a CPL for when he visits another time.

Also you don't need a CPL in order to carry a gun loaded open or concealed while traveling to and from a legitimate outdoor recreation area (RCW 9.41.060) so if you're getting in the car to go to the "major forests" you can carry your firearm loaded while in the car. just make sure you have your hiking gear in the car and be wearing outdoor type attire, this is the statute here. The deal is, the way the statute is worded the onus is on you to demonstrate you are in fact traveling to your spot in the forests, so wear those hiking boots and your mossy oak shirt and have your pack in plain view in the car....

RCW 9.41.060
    Exceptions to restrictions on carrying firearms.

The provisions of RCW 9.41.050 shall not apply to:............

........ (8) Any person engaging in a lawful outdoor recreational activity such as hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, or horseback riding, only if, considering all of the attendant circumstances, including but not limited to whether the person has a valid hunting or fishing license, it is reasonable to conclude that the person is participating in lawful outdoor activities or is traveling to or from a legitimate outdoor recreation area;
    Dirtyrice, Welcome to Wa forum.
    OC here is much better than most places, however, relying upon the quoted RCW 9.41.050, would not be prudent in my opinion. You will still need to be able to convince LEO that you are not using that as an end run to get around the CPL requirement.
    EMN, with his good intentions, does not always have a full understanding of what he espouses. He is a college student prone to snap judgement.

Sorry Eric, but you know me, I call it as I see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger Dr View Post
    Dirtyrice, Welcome to Wa forum.
    OC here is much better than most places, however, relying upon the quoted RCW 9.41.050, would not be prudent in my opinion. You will still need to be able to convince LEO that you are not using that as an end run to get around the CPL requirement.
    EMN, with his good intentions, does not always have a full understanding of what he espouses. He is a college student prone to snap judgement.

Sorry Eric, but you know me, I call it as I see it.
    I would second Trigger Dr's opinion here.

Keep in mind that you may have the unloaded pistol and magazine anywhere in the vehicle except for concealed on your person. I would avoid loading and unloading the the parking lot of a restaurant, grocery store, hotel and simply carry with the magazine inserted but an empty chamber. Not the ideal way to do it but that will keep you safe from the wording in;

RCW 9.41.270

(1) It shall be unlawful for any person to carry, exhibit, display, or draw any firearm, dagger, sword, knife or other cutting or stabbing instrument, club, or any other weapon apparently capable of producing bodily harm, in a manner, under circumstances, and at a time and place that either manifests an intent to intimidate another or that warrants alarm for the safety of other persons.

Last thing, are you bringing any dirty rice I have not had any good dirty rice since I lived in Chambers County TX in the 70s.

OH and don't forget your Texas Passport so you can get back in, LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hayes View Post
    OH and don't forget your Texas Passport so you can get back in, LOL
    They let anybody into TX, sounds a lot like Australia, but a lot smaller.

Texas Vs. Australia

A Texan farmer goes to Australia on vacation. There he meets an Aussie farmer and gets to talking. The Aussie shows off his big wheat field and the Texan says, "Oh! We have wheat fields that are at least twice that size!"

They walk around the ranch a little, and the Aussie shows off his herd of cattle. The Texan immediately replies, "We have longhorns that are at least twice as large as your cows."

The conversation has died down when the Texan sees a herd of kangaroos hopping through the field. He asks the Aussie, "What are those?"

The Aussie replies with an incredulous look, "Don't you have any grasshoppers in Texas?"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast