• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Getting Complacent.

dirtyrice

Well all I wear is boots :) I'll be wearing my gortex lined danners. I did plan to bring a pack and such for the trails. I do not have a hunting or fishing license but I didn't plan on doing either while there. I see from reading and looking at the site that lists positive,neutral,negative oc experiences on a map it seems the area has a relatively decent attitude towards oc. I just didn't want to be having to rack the slide and reholster every time I got out of the car. If I could get a WA CPL same day or even next day that would be great. A WA permit is cheap compared to the $300 it will cost in Texas to get your first one.

Last edited:

bmg50cal

Some quotes...

Kitsap County Sheriff Office in Silverdale.... usually same day issuance...

Kitsap has a fast turn around IF you already have an out of state permit/license. If you don't have one at all you are still looking at a waiting period.

I don't know about non-residents, but both my wife and I have been in and out in a couple hours.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum...te-permit-fast-turn-around-2.html#post1990973

My WA non-rez took about an hour. This was from Klickitat Co.

By the time I got back upstairs from fingerprinting, they had it printed and ready to go.

(I'm guessing that since it had been less than 30 days since the background check for my OR license, that it was still considered "current")

http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum...sions/95636-ccw-washington-2.html#post1461290

I'm an Oregon resident, but I live right across the river from WA, so I figured a WA CPL might be a good idea.

When I first got my CPL, I walked in, gave them the paperwork, and walked out with license in hand in half an hour. They ran the check while I was being fingerprinted.

Thank you Klickitat County!

Last edited:

Trigger Dr

Sheriff Boyer (Kitsap County) is a big supporter of CPLs and his office issues them quickly, but not same day service. most people get theirs in 4 to 6 business days I believe.

considering our Texan friend will be in Tacoma, I'd just make the drive to Port Orchard so he can get his license, give his texas address and then he'll have a CPL for when he visits another time.

Also you don't need a CPL in order to carry a gun loaded open or concealed while traveling to and from a legitimate outdoor recreation area (RCW 9.41.060) so if you're getting in the car to go to the "major forests" you can carry your firearm loaded while in the car. just make sure you have your hiking gear in the car and be wearing outdoor type attire, this is the statute here. The deal is, the way the statute is worded the onus is on you to demonstrate you are in fact traveling to your spot in the forests, so wear those hiking boots and your mossy oak shirt and have your pack in plain view in the car....

RCW 9.41.060
Exceptions to restrictions on carrying firearms.

The provisions of RCW 9.41.050 shall not apply to:............

........ (8) Any person engaging in a lawful outdoor recreational activity such as hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, or horseback riding, only if, considering all of the attendant circumstances, including but not limited to whether the person has a valid hunting or fishing license, it is reasonable to conclude that the person is participating in lawful outdoor activities or is traveling to or from a legitimate outdoor recreation area;

Dirtyrice, Welcome to Wa forum.
OC here is much better than most places, however, relying upon the quoted RCW 9.41.050, would not be prudent in my opinion. You will still need to be able to convince LEO that you are not using that as an end run to get around the CPL requirement.
EMN, with his good intentions, does not always have a full understanding of what he espouses. He is a college student prone to snap judgement.

Sorry Eric, but you know me, I call it as I see it.

Jeff Hayes

Dirtyrice, Welcome to Wa forum.
OC here is much better than most places, however, relying upon the quoted RCW 9.41.050, would not be prudent in my opinion. You will still need to be able to convince LEO that you are not using that as an end run to get around the CPL requirement.
EMN, with his good intentions, does not always have a full understanding of what he espouses. He is a college student prone to snap judgement.

Sorry Eric, but you know me, I call it as I see it.

I would second Trigger Dr's opinion here.

Keep in mind that you may have the unloaded pistol and magazine anywhere in the vehicle except for concealed on your person. I would avoid loading and unloading the the parking lot of a restaurant, grocery store, hotel and simply carry with the magazine inserted but an empty chamber. Not the ideal way to do it but that will keep you safe from the wording in;

RCW 9.41.270

(1) It shall be unlawful for any person to carry, exhibit, display, or draw any firearm, dagger, sword, knife or other cutting or stabbing instrument, club, or any other weapon apparently capable of producing bodily harm, in a manner, under circumstances, and at a time and place that either manifests an intent to intimidate another or that warrants alarm for the safety of other persons.

Last thing, are you bringing any dirty rice I have not had any good dirty rice since I lived in Chambers County TX in the 70s.

OH and don't forget your Texas Passport so you can get back in, LOL

bmg50cal

OH and don't forget your Texas Passport so you can get back in, LOL

They let anybody into TX, sounds a lot like Australia, but a lot smaller.

Texas Vs. Australia

[FONT=Verdana,Arial] A Texan farmer goes to Australia on vacation. There he meets an Aussie farmer and gets to talking. The Aussie shows off his big wheat field and the Texan says, "Oh! We have wheat fields that are at least twice that size!"

They walk around the ranch a little, and the Aussie shows off his herd of cattle. The Texan immediately replies, "We have longhorns that are at least twice as large as your cows."

The conversation has died down when the Texan sees a herd of kangaroos hopping through the field. He asks the Aussie, "What are those?"

The Aussie replies with an incredulous look, "Don't you have any grasshoppers in Texas?"
[/FONT]

dirtyrice

My plan right now is to try to get a flight early enough so when I get there friday I can drive to port orchard and apply. If I get it that day WOOHOO. Other wise I will just use discretion when disarming and rearming according to WA state law. Also I will heed Jeff's advice on just putting the mag back in to draw less attention when necessary. I have seen vloggers on youtube do disarm and rearm with no issues in other states. Simply drop mag, rack slide, put in case, etc. But I know racking a round into the chamber makes more noise.

Even once I get the CPL I will mostly open carry except maybe a few tourist places that might not like it. I was hoping to visit that new blown glass exhibit below the space needle. Our laws around cc are similar but different at the same time :) In Texas a "No firearms allowed" sign is not good enough. But I plan to do much more reading before my visit. Just need to decide if i'll take the browning hi power or m&p 9c :) Thanks guys. Didn't mean to hijack the thread.

Last edited:

EMNofSeattle

My plan right now is to try to get a flight early enough so when I get there friday I can drive to port orchard and apply. If I get it that day WOOHOO. Other wise I will just use discretion when disarming and rearming according to WA state law. Also I will heed Jeff's advice on just putting the mag back in to draw less attention when necessary. I have seen vloggers on youtube do disarm and rearm with no issues in other states. Simply drop mag, rack slide, put in case, etc. But I know racking a round into the chamber makes more noise.

Even once I get the CPL I will mostly open carry except maybe a few tourist places that might not like it. I was hoping to visit that new blown glass exhibit below the space needle. Our laws around cc are similar but different at the same time :) In Texas a "No firearms allowed" sign is not good enough. But I plan to do much more reading before my visit. Just need to decide if i'll take the browning hi power or m&p 9c :) Thanks guys. Didn't mean to hijack the thread.

As far as Seattle this is what to know

Seattle Center, the park where the Needle is located, is owned by the city of Seattle and thus subject to preemption, however certain exhibits and structures in the Seattle Center are owned privately (such as the Space Needle) if the people at space needle tell you to leave or conceal or even just to leave that's what you must do. The grounds themselves are a city park open to the public...

The Armory, is a food court in the seattle center grounds, this is owned by the City I believe and thus preemption applies

Experience Music Project, is technically owned by the city but is permantly leased by Paul Allen (co-founder of microsoft) whether or not preemption applies is a debate.... best not be a test case, concealing might be your best bet (assuming you're licensed that is, telling SPD you're hiking in downtown seattle may not work that well)

The Monorail, is owned by the City of Seattle, preemption applies, however the monorail is considered a "vehicle" under state law, thus requiring a CPL to carry loaded. also the Monorail takes you to the Westlake Center mall which is posted "No guns" meaning security will ask you to leave if you are OCing. thus concealing upon arrival at westlake if you intend to actually view the mall itself, if you intend to go into the city or the bus tunnel under the mall make your way straight there if you are OCing....

Pacific Science Center is operated by a private non-profit, along with the IMAX theatre, meaning if asked to leave you probably should or carry concealed if an option.

There is no equivelant of the "30.06 sign" in Washington, from my understanding the owner or an agent of the owner has to ask you to leave before it's trespass. signs are not given any special force of law in statute.

Keep in mind i'm not a lawyer so this is not any kind of legal advice you're getting, if you want legal advice call the Washington bar and find a lawyer. this is just my understanding of how it works with no guarantees of correctness.

hoped this helped.

dirtyrice

Good to know. I knew WA didn't have an equivalent of a 30.06. In Texas it is the same way if you are asked to leave and don't you are trespassing, i'll keep an eye out for any no firearms signs.

Jeff Hayes

Enjoy your trip it should be uneventful. A no firearms sign on private property in Washington carries no weight of law, malls, theaters, restaurants etc but they can ask you to leave and if you do not you could be cited for trespassing.

OC in Washington is pretty straight forward no federal government buildings post office etc, secure areas of airports, jails, mental institutions and anyplace someone under 21 can not go i.e. bars but you can carry in restaurants where alcohol is served even have a beer if you want.

Last edited:

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Enjoy your trip it should be uneventful. A no firearms sign on private property in Washington carries no weight of law, malls, theaters, restaurants etc but they can ask you to leave and if you do not you could be cited for trespassing.

OC in Washington is pretty straight forward no federal government buildings post office etc, secure areas of airports, jails, mental institutions and anyplace someone under 21 can not go i.e. bars but you can carry in restaurants where alcohol is served even have a WHISKY if you want.

Fixed it for ya... :banana:

1245A Defender

Well,,,

OC in Washington is pretty straight forward no federal government buildings post office etc, secure areas of airports, jails, mental institutions and anyplace someone under 21 can not go i.e. bars but you can carry in restaurants where alcohol is served even have some Makers Mark if you want.
There I fixed it for you, some more.

bmg50cal

enjoy your trip it should be uneventful. A no firearms sign on private property in washington carries no weight of law, malls, theaters, restaurants etc but they can ask you to leave and if you do not you could be cited for trespassing.

Oc in washington is pretty straight forward no federal government buildings post office etc, secure areas of airports, jails, mental institutions and anyplace someone under 21 can not go i.e. Bars but you can carry in restaurants where alcohol is served even have a laphroaig if you want.

fify

Coyote_VS_ACME

OC in Washington is pretty straight forward no federal government buildings post office etc, secure areas of airports, jails, mental institutions and anyplace someone under 21 can not go i.e. bars but you can carry in restaurants where alcohol is served even have a Steel Reserve 211 if you want.

Hey, im in "low budget" mode right now so I fixed it for the poor so cut me some slack 8-P