• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Getting Complacent.

Strike

I was out doing some shopping in Lacey today. I stopped at Sportsmans Warehouse to see if they had any .40 S&W in stock.

I noticed a gentleman whom looked to be in his late forties or early fifties. He was open carrying. To my surprise there was no magazine in his firearm. I thought that I would stop and talk to him before I asked him about his lack of a magazine.

When I spoke with him I asked him some questions like how long he's been carrying and why he open carries. We had a pretty good conversation.

One of the last thing I asked him was if he always carries loaded? He said ALWAYS.

When I informed him that he was lacking a magazine, he turned a very bright shade of red and left quickly. I think he may have forgot something... :confused:

Remember guys... Don't get complacent.

Stay safe.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

decklin

That's why every morning when I put on my guns I check the magazine and do a press check.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
I don't ever unload my daily firearm, so I am not sure why I would need to check it. Clearly the guy you came across unloads the gun for some reason. Mine simply is never unloaded, unless it is after a trip to the range/cleaning.

Mainsail

I don't ever unload my daily firearm, so I am not sure why I would need to check it. Clearly the guy you came across unloads the gun for some reason. Mine simply is never unloaded, unless it is after a trip to the range/cleaning.

Same here. It comes off my belt and onto the nightstand or in the safe. Always loaded.

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
+1

SeattleWingsfan

I used to carry my SR9 in a cheap Mikes IWB holster when I was waiting for my first crossbread. I was in a store and as I was adjusting my waistband I noticed my mag was missing. Somehow the mag release got pressed enough for the mag to fall between my seat and center councel in my truck.

I only use good holsters now for that reason. And I often double check when not in obvious plain sight, mostly just because it happened that one odd time.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Now who was that, a year or two ago that went about carrying loaded all day to include a get together and to find his chambered round was a "SNAP CAP" !!!!

I fully agree, stay cognizant of our firearm.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Now who was that, a year or two ago that went about carrying loaded all day to include a get together and to find his chambered round was a "SNAP CAP" !!!!

I fully agree, stay cognizant of our firearm.

Haha, that was Eric Sandoval, aka "snappy", unfortunately Eric passed away about a year and a half ago... RIP

36202_110323585681415_5812619_n.jpg

FMCDH

Not necessarily.

Depending on the type of seats he has in his car, its quite possible the magazine got ejected. My car seats are of the "semi body hugging" type, and if I am wearing a pistol with anything but a stiff magazine release, it can sometimes push the button in the pinch between me and it. My Sigs don't seem to have this issue, but I have had it happen with my M&Ps.

I never lost the magazine entirely to the point I didn't notice it fell out of the well like this poor fellow, but I have found it loose in the well a few times.

Now I just don't wear a pistol that is prone to this, but it made me aware that it can happen.

Last edited:

Jeff Hayes

Mine is never unloaded unless I am cleaning, ran it dry on purpose or am dry firing it, but I still check each and every time I holster. I dry fire quite a bit which means the gun is unloaded and then reloaded when I am finished. I got in the habit because I never want to in the heat of the moment question did I reload it.

Last edited:

amlevin

Not necessarily.

Depending on the type of seats he has in his car, its quite possible the magazine got ejected. My car seats are of the "semi body hugging" type, and if I am wearing a pistol with anything but a stiff magazine release, it can sometimes push the button in the pinch between me and it. My Sigs don't seem to have this issue, but I have had it happen with my M&Ps.

I never lost the magazine entirely to the point I didn't notice it fell out of the well like this poor fellow, but I have found it loose in the well a few times.

Now I just don't wear a pistol that is prone to this, but it made me aware that it can happen.

It's not always the fault of the firearm. How many people are carrying in inexpensive "one size fits many" holsters. Uncle Mike's type holsters are notorious for releasing mags when they shouldn't because of the lack of a recess for the mag release button in the holster.

Ditto for those who try to make a leather holster work by just forcing the firearm into it.

If the holster isn't properly designed to carry the firearm, usually being specifically made for the firearm, this is a constant risk.

bmg50cal

Yeah... I went out one time without a magazine in the well, but I had a round in the chamber and a "spare" magazine in pouch. I found it that way myself when I went to use a public restroom. It was embarrassing enough as it was, so from then on every time I holster up before going out; I always smack the mag and check the witness hole (no need for a press check). Otherwise, I keep my EDC loaded at all times, excluding of course cleaning, changing magazines, dry fire practice, etc.

Last edited:

FMCDH

It's not always the fault of the firearm. How many people are carrying in inexpensive "one size fits many" holsters. Uncle Mike's type holsters are notorious for releasing mags when they shouldn't because of the lack of a recess for the mag release button in the holster.

Ditto for those who try to make a leather holster work by just forcing the firearm into it.

If the holster isn't properly designed to carry the firearm, usually being specifically made for the firearm, this is a constant risk.

Also an excellent point. I have noticed the same.

dirtyrice

Being as i'm a Texan who will be visiting friends in Tacoma in may and will be traveling to two major forests in the area a long with olympia and seattle. I have to ask, I thought WA state law said that someone without a valid WA CPL must unload and disarm when getting into your vehicle? I have a valid Texas CHL but WA does not honor it. Since a non-resident permit can take up to 60 days and I must submit finger prints in person. I can't get a valid WA CPL before hand. I have open carried in New Mexico and Colorado with no issues before.

Last edited:

bmg50cal

Being as i'm a Texan who will be visiting friends in Tacoma in may and will be traveling to two major forests in the area a long with olympia and seattle. I have to ask, I thought WA state law said that someone without a valid WA CPL must unload and disarm when getting into your vehicle? I have a valid Texas CHL but WA does not honor it. Since a non-resident permit can take up to 60 days and I must submit finger prints in person. I can't get a valid WA CPL before hand. I have open carried in New Mexico and Colorado with no issues before.

I have heard of same day service in Kitsap and Klickitat counties for non-resident CPL and there is no need to unload for vehicle carry with a license that WA honors.

EMNofSeattle

Sheriff Boyer (Kitsap County) is a big supporter of CPLs and his office issues them quickly, but not same day service. most people get theirs in 4 to 6 business days I believe.

considering our Texan friend will be in Tacoma, I'd just make the drive to Port Orchard so he can get his license, give his texas address and then he'll have a CPL for when he visits another time.

Also you don't need a CPL in order to carry a gun loaded open or concealed while traveling to and from a legitimate outdoor recreation area (RCW 9.41.060) so if you're getting in the car to go to the "major forests" you can carry your firearm loaded while in the car. just make sure you have your hiking gear in the car and be wearing outdoor type attire, this is the statute here. The deal is, the way the statute is worded the onus is on you to demonstrate you are in fact traveling to your spot in the forests, so wear those hiking boots and your mossy oak shirt and have your pack in plain view in the car....

RCW 9.41.060
Exceptions to restrictions on carrying firearms.

The provisions of RCW 9.41.050 shall not apply to:............

........ (8) Any person engaging in a lawful outdoor recreational activity such as hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, or horseback riding, only if, considering all of the attendant circumstances, including but not limited to whether the person has a valid hunting or fishing license, it is reasonable to conclude that the person is participating in lawful outdoor activities or is traveling to or from a legitimate outdoor recreation area;