• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New open carrier.

Ky_Justice

Hello all I'm new to the area of open carry. I have not yet opened carried, I do however plan on doing so very soon. I will be carrying in the Carter,Boyd and Rowan county areas. I look forward to meeting new people and educating others. Also a quick question how is Leo's in those areas regarding open carriers?

o3rugby1

Just make sure you understand the laws and you will be fine. Just dont draw attention to yourself and you will not have a problem.

09jisaac

Boyd County isn't too bad. I have had some run-ins with the Boyd County sheriff department that went very smoothly.

We have some (one?) active members in the Rowan county area. One probably gathers a lot of attention, and he seems to be doing OK.

Ky_Justice

Thanks everyone, I'm bushing up on my laws I have them down for the most part going to keep a copy on me at all times for good measure. I look forward to talking to liked minded folks. I'm also going to get myself a recorded due to the fact most threads say it is in ones best interest and protection to do so. :)

KYGlockster

Activist Member
If you carry an iphone there is an app called Legal Heat that gives you the laws for every state for free. I really like it. No, I'm not a paid spokes person. LOL

Orion

Always be sure to verify for your self though. I have often found that these apps are incorrect and often outdated. I have downloaded several gun-law apps and I was amazed at how incorrect they were when mentioning the law.

09jisaac

Always be sure to verify for your self though. I have often found that these apps are incorrect and often outdated. I have downloaded several gun-law apps and I was amazed at how incorrect they were when mentioning the law.

I would like to point out that a lot of websites are also outdated. Also, it is usually best NOT to call the state police in the state you are going to visit to ask for carry laws, usually they are not required to know the laws to work there. Most will tell you they cannot give you legal advice (good advice) but some will tell you what they think they know. It may or may not be correct.

Like Glockster said, always verify your information. It is your freedom on the line, not ours/theirs.

Orion_13

But boy is it handy when I'm out geocaching and find myself crossing state lines when I didn't intend to when leaving the house that day. KY is kind of unique in my opinion in how many states border it on all sides. It is so easy to leave out and not intend to cross any state lines and end up doing so on the spur of the moment. I can see how people in southern FL wouldn't understand that, and other places too. LOL... just as an example.

Orion

Cottonbaler

Welcome to OCDO KY_Justice

There is a thread tacked at the top of the KY subforum with links to most of the applicable state laws. I also would suggest going to handgunlaw.us and clicking Kentucky on the map to download their excellent .PDF of KY's gun laws.

When you go out be as neat and presentable as possible. You don't have to dress to the nines but a nice collared shirt and a clean pair of jeans is fine. You are not just exercising your rights but also serving as an ambassador for the RKBA/OC movement. Try to find a nice looking belt that is stiff enough to support your holstered sidearm. You don't want it flopping around on your belt. I found a very nice one at Walmart for $12...It's a 1.5" wide work belt with a reinforcing nylon strip on the backside double stitched at the top and bottom of the belt. It's not a $100 gunbelt but it's stiff enough to support my holstered sidearm (Ruger SR9 in an Uncle Mike's Reflex) and it goes with anything.

When you go out, be confident! I don't mean swagger like you have a chip on your shoulder but act like you normally do when you go into an establishment. I had a hard time making eye contact with people I interacted with in stores and I would say only the bare minimum I needed to conduct my transaction. But since I've begun OCing I make a conscious effort to make eye contact, add some smiles and actually try to talk about something, even if it's just the weather. I'm not saying it was carrying my firearm that made me more confident, rather it was the knowledge that I was an ambassador and the fact that (whether they say it or not) most people are wary of regular citizens OCing sidearms and I should do all I could to refute the negative stereotypes some people have of gunowners.

Know your rights, start OCing regularly, take the effort to look nice and don't act like a jerk. You'll be fine.

Grantfrom1968

Hello all I'm new to the area of open carry. I have not yet opened carried, I do however plan on doing so very soon. I will be carrying in the Carter,Boyd and Rowan county areas. I look forward to meeting new people and educating others. Also a quick question how is Leo's in those areas regarding open carriers?

Hey bud- I just joined here yesterday, myself.. AND just drove through Kentucky from a Florida trip.. I cannot directly answer this for you, you may want to look up open carry on Wikipedia, as there is a map explaining open carry acceptance on there, per state. It states- A state has passed full preemption of all firearms laws. They permit open carry to all non-prohibited citizens without permit or license. Open carry is lawful on foot and in a motor vehicle. It must be noted that while open carry may be legal in such jurisdictions per se, persons openly carrying firearms may be detained and cited by law enforcement officials for disorderly conduct or disturbing the peace in certain locations and circumstances where openly carrying could cause public alarm.

I am in Missouri, myself, and won a lawsuit- My shirt rode up on me, and I was open carrying out of a PriceChopper store. I was threatened to be shot and handcuffed. When the police arrived, I was freed- gun and ammo was given back there. So it is demonized! Hope the above helps and holler back if I can be of further assistance!

langzaiguy

I know I sound bitter and picky, but we aren't "permitted" to open carry. We permitted the state government to regulate conceal carry. We are free to open carry as we please with minimal (but some) regulation. I also take issue that we may be "detained by law enforcement and cited for DO". While this is a slight possibility, it is NOT a possibility for an officer to lawfully do that. Unless there is RAS that you are committing or about to commit a crime, you may not be detained. In order for a DO to stick, it must be shown that you had intentions of causing disorder.