Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Billings, MT Open Carry

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    billings, mt
    Posts
    2

    Billings, MT Open Carry

    I will be moving to Billings, MT very soon and was wondering if the LEO's give carriers a hard time there.
    Any OCiers from Billings? Thank you.

  2. #2
    Activist Member N605TW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    118
    I used to live in Helena and would visit Billings a few times a year. Never had any issues in Billings.

  3. #3
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,627
    State specific question - moved it to MT.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Milford Colony, Montana, USA
    Posts
    145
    You can probably find some old threads here from 3 or 4 years ago. At one time they would harass OC'ers there. Billings was one of the reasons that back in 2011 (I believe) the OC law was re-affirmed by the legislature. Since then I have not heard anything. I don't go down there, so I don't personally know either.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    , Montana, USA
    Posts
    23

    open carry

    My son was open carrying in Billings the other day.
    He was playing a little drum he has,he was sitting on a sidewalk.
    Someone called the cops on him.

    When the cop came up to him,my son said because I'm open carrying.
    The cop said no, because you were playing a drum,didn't even know you were open carrying.
    The cop asked why he was carrying a gun,my son said hes a 2nd amendment advocate,the
    cop then said have a good day and left.
    Never asked for ID or anything else.

  6. #6
    Campaign Veteran slapmonkay's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    1,267
    Quote Originally Posted by Aubb View Post
    My son was open carrying in Billings the other day.
    He was playing a little drum he has,he was sitting on a sidewalk.
    Someone called the cops on him.

    When the cop came up to him,my son said because I'm open carrying.
    The cop said no, because you were playing a drum,didn't even know you were open carrying.
    The cop asked why he was carrying a gun,my son said hes a 2nd amendment advocate,the
    cop then said have a good day and left.
    Never asked for ID or anything else.
    Hmm, that's suspect. Why would a cop come up to someone playing the drum. At least he wasn't hassled to identify. Carry a recorder?
    I Am Not A Lawyer, verify all facts presented independently.

    It's called the "American Dream" because you have to be asleep to believe it. - George Carlin

    I carry a spare tire, in case I have a flat. I carry life insurance, in case I die. I carry a gun, in case I need it.

  7. #7
    Regular Member MontanaResident's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    163
    How does one open carry in the Montana winter? I wear layers of clothing, and usually a parka that hangs past my bottom. I suppose an extra long belt might work, but I'd look and feel silly.

  8. #8
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,627
    Quote Originally Posted by MontanaResident View Post
    How does one open carry in the Montana winter? I wear layers of clothing, and usually a parka that hangs past my bottom. I suppose an extra long belt might work, but I'd look and feel silly.
    Take your foul weather gear off indoors = normal OC

    That is why they have the little basket area in the Wal-Mart shopping carts - to hold your coat.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    , Montana, USA
    Posts
    23
    He was carrying a sig 226 in a shoulder holster.

  10. #10
    Campaign Veteran slapmonkay's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    1,267
    Quote Originally Posted by MontanaResident View Post
    How does one open carry in the Montana winter? I wear layers of clothing, and usually a parka that hangs past my bottom. I suppose an extra long belt might work, but I'd look and feel silly.
    I rarely wear a coat over here on the West side. When I do, I simply have my EDC in a OWB holster and my coat tucked behind it.
    I Am Not A Lawyer, verify all facts presented independently.

    It's called the "American Dream" because you have to be asleep to believe it. - George Carlin

    I carry a spare tire, in case I have a flat. I carry life insurance, in case I die. I carry a gun, in case I need it.

  11. #11
    Regular Member MontanaResident's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    163
    Quote Originally Posted by slapmonkay View Post
    I rarely wear a coat over here on the West side. When I do, I simply have my EDC in a OWB holster and my coat tucked behind it.
    I'm here on the west side also (northwest), and it's been below 20 in the mornings for a week now. I don't wear my deep deep cold parka, but still a sherpa vest and an LLBean lined parka. I carry concealed for convience and to protect the pistol, and I find is a pain to manage when my exploration/hiking/dog-walking concludes with a trip to the store. I've managed to remember to unarm, before doing any grocery shopping, but I can easily imagine forgetting, and getting jacked up by a LEO for it. I am hoping HB 304 passes so I can go about my business and not suffer from a lapse of memory.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    3
    I live here in Billings and open carry every day. I've only been open carrying for about a month waiting for my CCW but I haven't been stopped once. *knock on wood*

  13. #13
    Campaign Veteran slapmonkay's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    1,267
    Quote Originally Posted by mtcarry View Post
    I live here in Billings and open carry every day. I've only been open carrying for about a month waiting for my CCW but I haven't been stopped once. *knock on wood*
    Welcome to OCDO (Open Carry Dot Org)!
    I Am Not A Lawyer, verify all facts presented independently.

    It's called the "American Dream" because you have to be asleep to believe it. - George Carlin

    I carry a spare tire, in case I have a flat. I carry life insurance, in case I die. I carry a gun, in case I need it.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Billings, Montana, United States
    Posts
    2

    Billings OC

    I've been OC'ing in Billings for about 6 months. I frequent Albertsons, Wal Mart, Target, Gas Stations, etc. I've never encountered anyone that said something rude or expressed fear. The only two times someone has said something was positive. One guy asked me if my firearm ever "fell out" of the holster, and another elderly woman told me she "appreciated me carrying, and she now knows who to stand behind if a madman starts shooting".

    I've walked in front of many LEOs and even held the door open for one at a gas station. I've never been questioned or spoken to by the police (knock on wood).

    Seems to me that from my experience, Billings is pretty OC friendly.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    344
    Quote Originally Posted by MontanaResident View Post
    How does one open carry in the Montana winter? I wear layers of clothing, and usually a parka that hangs past my bottom. I suppose an extra long belt might work, but I'd look and feel silly.
    One option is to use a thigh holster - also sometimes called a SAS holster or a drop-leg holster or a tactical holster. This allows you to wear your pistol strapped to your upper leg at a level below your coat line so it is still exposed. The disadvantage is that this carry style tends to catch more attention from the public and from cops.

  16. #16
    Regular Member bwarren917's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Billings, MT
    Posts
    51
    I just recently moved to Billings. Haven't established residency yet (have not lived here for 6 months), but I emailed the Chief of Police (who subsequently transferred me to the Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms Representative for Billings, and that's who I spoke with) who told me that OC was something that often lead to "fright" and LEO being called due to the fear it brings in people. He also mentioned OC being illegal in federal buildings, banks, and schools.

    Given the typical reliability and trustworthiness (or lack thereof) in our government these days, has anyone recently had any encounters? I just want to get a update before I start OC'ing in Billings. Any issues from LEO, or other people? Where have you carried? Where can you NOT carry? You get where I am going with this. Just a good, recent, update, would be very much appreciated.

    Thanks.

  17. #17
    Campaign Veteran slapmonkay's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    1,267
    Quote Originally Posted by bwarren917 View Post
    I just recently moved to Billings. Haven't established residency yet (have not lived here for 6 months), but I emailed the Chief of Police (who subsequently transferred me to the Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms Representative for Billings, and that's who I spoke with) who told me that OC was something that often lead to "fright" and LEO being called due to the fear it brings in people. He also mentioned OC being illegal in federal buildings, banks, and schools.

    Given the typical reliability and trustworthiness (or lack thereof) in our government these days, has anyone recently had any encounters? I just want to get a update before I start OC'ing in Billings. Any issues from LEO, or other people? Where have you carried? Where can you NOT carry? You get where I am going with this. Just a good, recent, update, would be very much appreciated.

    Thanks.
    I don't live in Billings, so your experiences may be different however I wouldn't expect any major issues. Yes, Billings is one of the most liberal places in the state but even so its more conservative than other liberal states. Guns are a major part of life in Montana and I suspect the biggest issue you would run into is a negative comment from time to time but be ready for anything, I typically have a voice recorder running just to be extra safe. I have not heard of any recent encounters with LEO in Montana.
    Last edited by slapmonkay; 01-05-2015 at 01:09 PM.
    I Am Not A Lawyer, verify all facts presented independently.

    It's called the "American Dream" because you have to be asleep to believe it. - George Carlin

    I carry a spare tire, in case I have a flat. I carry life insurance, in case I die. I carry a gun, in case I need it.

  18. #18
    Regular Member bwarren917's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Billings, MT
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by slapmonkay View Post
    I don't live in Billings, so your experiences may be different however I wouldn't expect any major issues. Yes, Billings is one of the most liberal places in the state but even so its more conservative than other liberal states. Guns are a major part of life in Montana and I suspect the biggest issue you would run into is a negative comment from time to time but be ready for anything, I typically have a voice recorder running just to be extra safe. I have not heard of any recent encounters with LEO in Montana.
    Thanks for the reply. I've added a voice recorder to my belt. Now, I just need the Lavalier mic and we're all set!

  19. #19
    Regular Member bwarren917's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Billings, MT
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryce Leverich View Post
    I've been OC'ing in Billings for about 6 months. I frequent Albertsons, Wal Mart, Target, Gas Stations, etc. I've never encountered anyone that said something rude or expressed fear. The only two times someone has said something was positive. One guy asked me if my firearm ever "fell out" of the holster, and another elderly woman told me she "appreciated me carrying, and she now knows who to stand behind if a madman starts shooting".

    I've walked in front of many LEOs and even held the door open for one at a gas station. I've never been questioned or spoken to by the police (knock on wood).

    Seems to me that from my experience, Billings is pretty OC friendly.
    What gas station do you go to? I was at the Cenex Station off Shiloh and I was told to leave (I was inside the convenience store) one evening, due to my OC gun.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •