• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Billings, MT Open Carry

pattyman

I will be moving to Billings, MT very soon and was wondering if the LEO's give carriers a hard time there.
Any OCiers from Billings? Thank you.

N605TW

Activist Member
I used to live in Helena and would visit Billings a few times a year. Never had any issues in Billings.

MontanaCZ

You can probably find some old threads here from 3 or 4 years ago. At one time they would harass OC'ers there. Billings was one of the reasons that back in 2011 (I believe) the OC law was re-affirmed by the legislature. Since then I have not heard anything. I don't go down there, so I don't personally know either.

Aubb

open carry

My son was open carrying in Billings the other day.
He was playing a little drum he has,he was sitting on a sidewalk.
Someone called the cops on him.

When the cop came up to him,my son said because I'm open carrying.
The cop said no, because you were playing a drum,didn't even know you were open carrying.
The cop asked why he was carrying a gun,my son said hes a 2nd amendment advocate,the
cop then said have a good day and left.
Never asked for ID or anything else.

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
My son was open carrying in Billings the other day.
He was playing a little drum he has,he was sitting on a sidewalk.
Someone called the cops on him.

When the cop came up to him,my son said because I'm open carrying.
The cop said no, because you were playing a drum,didn't even know you were open carrying.
The cop asked why he was carrying a gun,my son said hes a 2nd amendment advocate,the
cop then said have a good day and left.
Never asked for ID or anything else.

Hmm, that's suspect. Why would a cop come up to someone playing the drum. At least he wasn't hassled to identify. Carry a recorder?

MontanaResident

How does one open carry in the Montana winter? I wear layers of clothing, and usually a parka that hangs past my bottom. I suppose an extra long belt might work, but I'd look and feel silly.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
How does one open carry in the Montana winter? I wear layers of clothing, and usually a parka that hangs past my bottom. I suppose an extra long belt might work, but I'd look and feel silly.

Take your foul weather gear off indoors = normal OC

That is why they have the little basket area in the Wal-Mart shopping carts - to hold your coat. :)

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran

I rarely wear a coat over here on the West side. When I do, I simply have my EDC in a OWB holster and my coat tucked behind it.

MontanaResident

I rarely wear a coat over here on the West side. When I do, I simply have my EDC in a OWB holster and my coat tucked behind it.

I'm here on the west side also (northwest), and it's been below 20 in the mornings for a week now. I don't wear my deep deep cold parka, but still a sherpa vest and an LLBean lined parka. I carry concealed for convience and to protect the pistol, and I find is a pain to manage when my exploration/hiking/dog-walking concludes with a trip to the store. I've managed to remember to unarm, before doing any grocery shopping, but I can easily imagine forgetting, and getting jacked up by a LEO for it. I am hoping HB 304 passes so I can go about my business and not suffer from a lapse of memory.

mtcarry

I live here in Billings and open carry every day. I've only been open carrying for about a month waiting for my CCW but I haven't been stopped once. *knock on wood*

Bryce Leverich

Billings OC

I've been OC'ing in Billings for about 6 months. I frequent Albertsons, Wal Mart, Target, Gas Stations, etc. I've never encountered anyone that said something rude or expressed fear. The only two times someone has said something was positive. One guy asked me if my firearm ever "fell out" of the holster, and another elderly woman told me she "appreciated me carrying, and she now knows who to stand behind if a madman starts shooting".

I've walked in front of many LEOs and even held the door open for one at a gas station. I've never been questioned or spoken to by the police (knock on wood).

Seems to me that from my experience, Billings is pretty OC friendly.

Augustin

One option is to use a thigh holster - also sometimes called a SAS holster or a drop-leg holster or a tactical holster. This allows you to wear your pistol strapped to your upper leg at a level below your coat line so it is still exposed. The disadvantage is that this carry style tends to catch more attention from the public and from cops.

bwarren917

I just recently moved to Billings. Haven't established residency yet (have not lived here for 6 months), but I emailed the Chief of Police (who subsequently transferred me to the Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms Representative for Billings, and that's who I spoke with) who told me that OC was something that often lead to "fright" and LEO being called due to the fear it brings in people. He also mentioned OC being illegal in federal buildings, banks, and schools.

Given the typical reliability and trustworthiness (or lack thereof) in our government these days, has anyone recently had any encounters? I just want to get a update before I start OC'ing in Billings. Any issues from LEO, or other people? Where have you carried? Where can you NOT carry? You get where I am going with this. Just a good, recent, update, would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
I just recently moved to Billings. Haven't established residency yet (have not lived here for 6 months), but I emailed the Chief of Police (who subsequently transferred me to the Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms Representative for Billings, and that's who I spoke with) who told me that OC was something that often lead to "fright" and LEO being called due to the fear it brings in people. He also mentioned OC being illegal in federal buildings, banks, and schools.

Given the typical reliability and trustworthiness (or lack thereof) in our government these days, has anyone recently had any encounters? I just want to get a update before I start OC'ing in Billings. Any issues from LEO, or other people? Where have you carried? Where can you NOT carry? You get where I am going with this. Just a good, recent, update, would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

I don't live in Billings, so your experiences may be different however I wouldn't expect any major issues. Yes, Billings is one of the most liberal places in the state but even so its more conservative than other liberal states. Guns are a major part of life in Montana and I suspect the biggest issue you would run into is a negative comment from time to time but be ready for anything, I typically have a voice recorder running just to be extra safe. I have not heard of any recent encounters with LEO in Montana.

Last edited:

bwarren917

I don't live in Billings, so your experiences may be different however I wouldn't expect any major issues. Yes, Billings is one of the most liberal places in the state but even so its more conservative than other liberal states. Guns are a major part of life in Montana and I suspect the biggest issue you would run into is a negative comment from time to time but be ready for anything, I typically have a voice recorder running just to be extra safe. I have not heard of any recent encounters with LEO in Montana.

Thanks for the reply. I've added a voice recorder to my belt. Now, I just need the Lavalier mic and we're all set!

bwarren917

I've been OC'ing in Billings for about 6 months. I frequent Albertsons, Wal Mart, Target, Gas Stations, etc. I've never encountered anyone that said something rude or expressed fear. The only two times someone has said something was positive. One guy asked me if my firearm ever "fell out" of the holster, and another elderly woman told me she "appreciated me carrying, and she now knows who to stand behind if a madman starts shooting".

I've walked in front of many LEOs and even held the door open for one at a gas station. I've never been questioned or spoken to by the police (knock on wood).

Seems to me that from my experience, Billings is pretty OC friendly.

What gas station do you go to? I was at the Cenex Station off Shiloh and I was told to leave (I was inside the convenience store) one evening, due to my OC gun.