• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Best Antique Gun Show In the World: Only a bit more than an Hour from Virginia

The Donkey

Just for reference how many gun shows have you been to inside/outside the U.S. and which ones???
The Big Reno show, the Wanenmacher Arms Show in Oklahoma (FOR NON FFL HOLDERS) and the S.H.O.T. show rank as the best in my book.
Shows outside the U.S. just aren't quite as fun (interesting) as those inside.

While it might be a decent show it would require me to give money to the State of Maryland directly/indirectly, that's not going to happen if it can be avoided.

I've been working shows with my dad all over the place since I was age 4.

The ones I have been to in Virginia are Chantilly, Harrisonburg, Mechanicsville, Roanoke and Hillsville. I may have gone to the one at the State Fairgrounds too, but can't remember, which is not a good sign.

I liked Hillsville the best in Virginia, although mainly not for the guns. It is an experience that everybody should have for the days that it takes just to walk around the Flea-market. I did some good buying there too: a double barreled percussion "Cape Gun" that required some work, but looks great now, and is for sale if anyone is interested.

The biggest ones I have been to elsewhere are Columbus, Detroit & Las Vegas. But sometimes, the little ones are just as good. Pottstown, PA for example can be a great show when the market for antiques is good. For me, on the modern stuff, Chantilly, Roanoke and Mechanicsville (while it existed) are fine because 80% of the guns on the tables of the major dealers are the same. The Chantilly show has become annoyingly crowded lately, but I think that is going to die down in a few months when the "weekenders" realize that the Assault Weapons Ban is going nowhere.

I rarely get worked up enough to boycott anything, although I have been more careful lately about avoiding fish that is over-fished or irresponsibly farmed. I cannot imagine that I will ever miss a gun show because I disagree with a state's laws, but who knows: there is a first time for everything.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
Word on the street is that MD state police "border search" cars with VA tags on the interstates in hopes of catching a CHPer who forgot to lock up his gun. Its kinda like the Coast Guard operating beyond the continental shelf, stopping and boarding vessels.

I regularly travel back and forth to TPRofMaryland, and I have never been stopped. I even have the big orange "Guns Save Lives" sticker right next to my Virginia plate.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I regularly travel back and forth to TPRofMaryland, and I have never been stopped. I even have the big orange "Guns Save Lives" sticker right next to my Virginia plate.

It may be just gossip James. I can't imagine how it starts though.

Yesterday was pretty so I rode my motorcycle and ran into another biker from Maryland at WaWa. He was asking if I had problems with the police because of my gun. I explained it was legal and I had no problems with Law Enforcement but I understood they regularly strip searched people from Maryland and New York to see if they had weapons.

Not everyone is as willing to give good information to visitors as I am, so I guess that's how these stories get started.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member

Don't give them the least justification or pretext to traffic-stop you. Its one thing for them to see your sticker. Its something else for them to see the sticker and clock you at 12 miles over the speed limit or have a brake light out, etc.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
It may be just gossip James. I can't imagine how it starts though.

Yesterday was pretty so I rode my motorcycle and ran into another biker from Maryland at WaWa. He was asking if I had problems with the police because of my gun. I explained it was legal and I had no problems with Law Enforcement but I understood they regularly strip searched people from Maryland and New York to see if they had weapons.

Not everyone is as willing to give good information to visitors as I am, so I guess that's how these stories get started.

Ammunition? Bend over and cough :eek: