• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Virginia AG: Police use of license-plate cameras is LIMITED

Repeater

General Cuccinelli emphasizes that the police cannot passively employ such surveillance and suck up all the license plates of vehicles at some place, like a gun show, and use all that data later.

Cuccinelli limits use of police license-plate cameras
Virginia Attorney General Ken Cuccinelli (R) has issued an opinion that limits the use of police license-plate cameras, a decision likely to force departments across the state to restrict how they track cars on Virginia’s roads.

The cameras, which are affixed to cruisers and roadside poles, photograph license plates of passing cars and are increasingly used by law-enforcement agencies nationwide. At issue in Virginia is under what circumstances the photos violate the privacy rights of drivers whose movements are captured and recorded.

Cuccinelli wrote that when there is an immediate threat to public safety, police can use the license-plate readers to look for a car.

But “passive” collection of the data, such as keeping the cameras on during routine patrol, archiving every license plate along the way, is not lawful, he said.

Repeater

Just like on the forum... trolling not allowed!

Today's Virginian-Pilot has a great story, copied from the WaPo. The Pilot includes stories on the topic, comments (>100) and a POLL:

"Should police be restricted in how they use license-plate cameras?"

* Yes
* No
* Not Sure

The comments are as you would usually expect. Some are like this:
Submitted by Chris33 on Sat, 03/09/2013 at 10:26 am.

People who are against this are pro criminal. This is a great tool for making us safer. The people who are against it are idiots.

markand

Does this opinion have any effect on the collection of an image of EVERY license plate for EVERY vehicle that parks at Washington Dulles or Reagan National airports? The scanned plate images are turned into alpha-numeric characters and put into a database of some kind. Are the parking lots at these airports subject to VA law, or some thing else?

The Dulles toll road also seems to have plate scanners at every toll booth. Not sure if they're collecting every plate, or just those that fail to pay the toll.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Immediate threat to public safety? Yeah, right. That's why millions went into these systems--for the Amber Alerts.

If the AG is all that opposed, perhaps he could demand control of the systems state-wide, turning them on only when a telephonic warrant is approved.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Immediate threat to public safety? Yeah, right. That's why millions went into these systems--for the Amber Alerts.

If the AG is all that opposed, perhaps he could demand control of the systems state-wide, turning them on only when a telephonic warrant is approved.

I haven't read the opinion but I expect it's based on the Virginia Database control statute. Believe it or not, all government databases (Even Contact Databases) need to be approved as needed and there has to be a very real reason for it's existence.

Unfortunately, it's another of those toothless laws like the Records Retention Act that requires something but has no penalty for ignoring the requirement.

palerider116

Hampton uses their LPRs for tax collection. Daily Press had a write up a couple of years ago.

I've operated one and it hits off the "do not block intersection sign" every time.

Glockster

Can't help but notice that VA BH stated that they would not at this time cease using them in that manner (was stated as such in the original article).

davidmcbeth

Banned
Today's Virginian-Pilot has a great story, copied from the WaPo. The Pilot includes stories on the topic, comments (>100) and a POLL:

"Should police be restricted in how they use license-plate cameras?"

* Yes
* No
* Not Sure

The comments are as you would usually expect. Some are like this:

I guess I'm pro-criminal then ... **** ** **** .. rather be pro-criminal than a fascists !

Last edited by a moderator:

TFred

Well, here's an interesting development. Can't help but wonder if someone is showing some cards they might not otherwise want people to see... I suspect if a question about "what cameras" is left unanswered, we'll know the answer.

TFred

State Police 'Gravely Concerned' About Missing Officer, Ask for Public's Help

Excerpt:

From a State Police news release:

"During the course of the investigation, photographs have been obtained featuring two unidentified adult males who investigators believe may have information regarding Quick's disappearance. Quick's silver 1999 Toyota Forerunner also appears in the photographs that place the vehicle in Fork Union, Va., on Friday, Jan. 31, 2014, and in the Manassas area Saturday, Feb. 1, 2014."