• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

password protection is not RAS for a search or seizure

eye95

Wait. What???

You mean that a court ruling was necessary to establish the electronic equivalent of, "Pulling down the shades in your bedroom window does not amount to RAS that you are being a criminal"?

The real danger to rights in this country are LEOs operating from a we-need-to-do-this-so-it-is-OK POV rather than from a can-we-do-this-helpful-task-or-will-it-violate-the-rights-of-the-people-we-do-it-to stance. No court should have had to rule on a question with such an obvious answer.

carolina guy

Wait. What???

You mean that a court ruling was necessary to establish the electronic equivalent of, "Pulling down the shades in your bedroom window does not amount to RAS that you are being a criminal"?

The real danger to rights in this country are LEOs operating from a we-need-to-do-this-so-it-is-OK POV rather than from a can-we-do-this-helpful-task-or-will-it-violate-the-rights-of-the-people-we-do-it-to stance. No court should have had to rule on a question with such an obvious answer.

It goes further...we as a people, need to DEMAND and make sure that LEO and public officials that violate the rights of a citizen, and should have known better, are held to account FULLY and completely. This should include jail time, loss of worldly possessions and loss of "their good name".

Fallschirjmäger

If nothing else, have a 3rd party copy/paste a long, random password (that is not disclosed to you) and then send the password separately. You cant reveal what you don't know.

stealthyeliminator

If nothing else, have a 3rd party copy/paste a long, random password (that is not disclosed to you) and then send the password separately. You cant reveal what you don't know.

So far as I know, you still can't be legally compelled to give up a password as part of an investigation against you, under almost any circumnstances. It's protected by the 5th, unlike something like a physical key would be. But you're right, it probably would be easier to be able to just say that you don't know it, without lying.

I agree it's kind of silly that a judge would have to make a ruling to determine this, but on the other hand I'm glad that it is being ruled on in this way so that maybe it sets a precendence and deters some whack-job judge from ruling another way.

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
My additional concerns include the personal papers angle.

What if I were carrying my briefcase across the border? I can see border agents wanting to see if I have contraband like drugs; but, I cannot see any legitimate purpose in reading all my business papers in the briefcase, which is essentially what the border agents are trying to do when they seize and search personal electronics.

What if my business papers included some written in code to protect against industrial espionage? Seizing my papers for code-breaking is functionally equivalent to seizing my electronics until the password is revealed or keeping my electronics until the password is broken.

Does anybody really believe a border agent is going to be indicted for insider trading if he buys or sells some stock based on learning from a search that a company's stock is going down? The opportunities for money-making off discovered information is endless.

Last edited:

carolina guy

nunya...

I think the password protection is sufficient to tell the border agents that the information contained therein is "none ya" business.