• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New Member! Question

JohnM15A

I just registered and this is my first post. I just bought an XD-S and blew a box through it last Friday at http://www.sharpshootersva.com/.

I have a CHP but have not carried either OC or CC to date but want to soon. I have read all about the laws and regulations and have printed up info cards. At some point I plan to take some training for CC rules/laws and conduct in BG situations. I have limited experience from the Army many years ago.

I'd like to visit friends at PHO98 in Chantilly this Wednesday and OC/CC but feel a little concerned that I don't have enough training.

My question is this: I only have the outside belt clip holster that comes with the gun and to feel more comfortable I was going to wear a long tail shirt over the gun. Sort of CC, sort of OC. Is there a legal (or otherwise) problem being half CC and half OC?

Tess

Founder's Club Member
While I'm certain you could rationalize it, if it is concealed and you do not have a CHP, you are not legally carrying. Read the first paragraph of the code section on concealed handguns.

Since you have a CHP, there is no issue at all. Even if someone were to claim the firearm is hidden from common observation, you have the permit to do so.

Now, there *is* a chance someone could be scared if they observe the firearm when a shirt flaps back or something. That's their issue, not yours.

And since I don't know what PHO98 might be, I can't speak to that.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Welcome to OCDO. Go join VCDL, or at least sign up for the VA-Alerts at www.vcdl.org. (standard greeting to newbies)

You need to decide to go all the way into the water, not just up to your knees. OCing does not require much training after you have learned to walk without leaning to one side. (Sorry about the sanark. It's just that us "old hands" sometimes see newbies and don't want to be reminded that we were once there ourselves.)

If you wear a long-tailed shirt over the gun you are CCing and will need to have a CHP.

Trust me on this - most folks will not see you are wearing a gun. Many of those that see anything will think it's a cellphone or something else. The biggest problem you can have is calling attention to the fact you are wearing a gun by constantly touching it. Putting a hand on it just to make sure it's still there. "Adjusting" it's position. And worst of all, for whatever reason putting your hand on the grip as if you were checking your position in case you needed to draw. Best advice? Keep your hands away from it and pretend it does not exist. If a self defense situation arises youcan then go ahead and touch it will all deliberate purpose.

As for knowing what to say if anybody says anything to you - it takes practice to pick out your 1st, 2nd, and maybe 3rd favorite very short explanations of why you are exercising a right. "Because I can" is always a possibility, along with "Because carrying a cop hurts my back". As for questions about if it is legal, the best answer I have ever heard is "Yes" and nothing more. Should you run into the dreaded idiot who starts arguing with and insulting someone wearing a gun, walking away is beginning to be seen as the default response.

A final comment - you might want to go to Wal-Mart or your favorite office supply store and get a digital voice recorder if you do not already have one. We carry them around, turned on, bot because we fear something will happen or somebody will say something, but because it's always better to have than not have. Most of the time they get turned off at the end of the day and everything erased because nothing noteworthy happened.

Relax, enjoy the pho, and let us know how you survived. I'm partial to the P-7 at any pho shop - hard to screw up and mighty tasty. Use the Nuc Mam and chili paste instead of that stuff in the red squirt bottle.

stay safe.

user

Accomplished Advocate
Act as though you knew what you're doing... everyone else will assume from your behavior that you do know what you're doing. I think it's wise to study up and get trained, but your attitude expressed in your post indicates to me that you're the sort of person who's probably safe to be around, Badguy excluded. Keep studying, but don't let that stop you from exercising your right to be prepared to defend yourself.

Marco

And since I don't know what PHO98 might be, I can't speak to that.

Vietnamese food.

BOT:
OP, check out VCDL's website (link provided in Skidmark's post) and attend a meeting, that will help you get over some fears.

HearseGuy

Welcome! All great replys.

Like Tess said just throwing your shirt tail over a holstered gun may be more alarming to some than just having it open. I feel like i would just wear it openly or get an IWB holster. That big bulge like you may be concealing a firearm may draw more attention to yourself than an openly carried firearm.

See if there's an open carry meet coming up in your area. That's a good way to pop your open carry cherry lol. Thats what i plan to do this Saturday at Moms Kitchen in VB.

I like you have done a ton of research on the laws, my rights, and every aspect of OCing in VA. Its a great thing to do. Recently a member joined with a few questions and said, "ive just started open carrying. I know i cant OC here and here and to these sorts of places"... Everyone quickly corrected him as he was dead wrong and hadnt done his homework. It pays.

Wear that fire arm openly, confidently, and proudly. Have a good one.

JohnM15A

Thanks everybody for the good responses!! I currently have no ammo and the local stores are also out, hopefully I'll find some before Wednesday...

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Thanks everybody for the good responses!! I currently have no ammo and the local stores are also out, hopefully I'll find some before Wednesday...

Never shoot all of your ammo up - you then walk around carrying a short club in your holster :uhoh:

Mongoose72

OP's Main concern

I just registered and this is my first post. I just bought an XD-S and blew a box through it last Friday at http://www.sharpshootersva.com/.

My question is this: I only have the outside belt clip holster that comes with the gun and to feel more comfortable I was going to wear a long tail shirt over the gun. Sort of CC, sort of OC. Is there a legal (or otherwise) problem being half CC and half OC?

As far as I know there is no law against accidential exposure or "printing" for concealed carry in Virginia; there is in many other states. You have your chp so you should be good to go either way. Around here I see alot of older guys with flannel jackets with what looks like minature cannons sticking out of their backs; I guess they all carry full sized 45s with extended clips.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
As far as I know there is no law against accidential exposure or "printing" for concealed carry in Virginia; there is in many other states. You have your chp so you should be good to go either way. Around here I see alot of older guys with flannel jackets with what looks like minature cannons sticking out of their backs; I guess they all carry full sized 45s with extended clips.

Since there is no requirement that "concealed means concealed", there is no fault/wrong for accidental exposure or printing.

A standard size 1911 with standard magazines (7 or 8 rd) is not a hand cannon....just normal size, everyday tool.

What makes a hand cannon a cannon is what is inside - like peter nap's .460 Roland. :uhoh: :p

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Since there is no requirement that "concealed means concealed", there is no fault/wrong for accidental exposure or printing.

A standard size 1911 with standard magazines (7 or 8 rd) is not a hand cannon....just normal size, everyday tool.

What makes a hand cannon a cannon is what is inside - like peter nap's .460 Roland. :uhoh: :p

460 Rowland....and welcome to the site!
As everyone said, just act natural. It's just a tool, kinda like a Leatherman...Just louder.

460.jpg

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
460 Rowland....and welcome to the site!
As everyone said, just act natural. It's just a tool, kinda like a Leatherman...Just louder.

If you want to talk about louder, you need to post those pics of the 460 revolver.:banana:

stay safe.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
If you want to talk about louder, you need to post those pics of the 460 revolver.:banana:

stay safe.
:eek:

[video=youtube;jTHh-Xh10xs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=jTHh-Xh10xs[/video]

And yes, the muzzle flash is hollow. Just think "Controlled Linear Fission"

Last edited:

Marco

I have a CHP but have not carried either OC or CC to date but want to soon. I have read all about the laws and regulations and have printed up info cards. At some point I plan to take some training for CC rules/laws and conduct in BG situations. I have limited experience from the Army many years ago.

I'd like to visit friends at PHO98 in Chantilly this Wednesday and OC/CC but feel a little concerned that I don't have enough training.

I presume your XD-S is 45ACP.
Try the Walmart on Liberia, as I always had luck finding fmj ammo there.
For carry ammo if you can't find local go on line:
http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/index.php/cName/45-acp-hollow-point

I like the 200gr' JHP's for small guns and avoid magtech.
Also try Double Tap, Buffalo Bore, Underwood.
Try Georgia Arms for fmj and hp: http://georgia-arms.com/45acp.aspx

:eek:

[video=youtube;jTHh-Xh10xs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=jTHh-Xh10xs[/video]

I just sold my .480 Ruger Alaskan.

Now, trying to decide if I want the 460SW or the 500S... leaning towards the 460SW as I already load similar calibers.

Last edited:

Justine

Welcome! All great replys.

Like Tess said just throwing your shirt tail over a holstered gun may be more alarming to some than just having it open. I feel like i would just wear it openly or get an IWB holster. That big bulge like you may be concealing a firearm may draw more attention to yourself than an openly carried firearm.

See if there's an open carry meet coming up in your area. That's a good way to pop your open carry cherry lol. Thats what i plan to do this Saturday at Moms Kitchen in VB.

I like you have done a ton of research on the laws, my rights, and every aspect of OCing in VA. Its a great thing to do. Recently a member joined with a few questions and said, "ive just started open carrying. I know i cant OC here and here and to these sorts of places"... Everyone quickly corrected him as he was dead wrong and hadnt done his homework. It pays.

Wear that fire arm openly, confidently, and proudly. Have a good one.

See you there Saturday! It'll be nice to meet you! :lol: It's a very family oriented atmosphere, so if you have one, bring them along!

JohnM15A

Got ammo today PMC Ball, 50 rounds, $30. Good to go for Wednesday...............................

Last edited by a moderator: