Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ccw denied because of driving history?

Ccw denied because of driving history?

I applied for my permit and was denied because of driving history...driving with a suspended license. Liscence was suspended for failure to pa a moving violation..15 over the speed limit.
    My question is this something to deny a permit for? I have absolutely no criminal record, and pass the background checks with flying colors when I purchase firearms. Is this Sherrif out of line? Is this something I should get a lawyer for?
    This is in Monroe county btw.
    Thanks guys

Quote Originally Posted by Tarik View Post
    I applied for my permit and was denied because of driving history...driving with a suspended license. Liscence was suspended for failure to pa a moving violation..15 over the speed limit.
    My question is this something to deny a permit for? I have absolutely no criminal record, and pass the background checks with flying colors when I purchase firearms. Is this Sherrif out of line? Is this something I should get a lawyer for?
    This is in Monroe county btw.
    Thanks guys
    Was driving on a suspended license a crime that can be punishable by up to 1 year in jail? If so, the way I understand it is that you won't be able to get a license to carry in PA.

If not, then they still can deny you on the "character clause" of not having proper character to carry a weapon. This is a problem, especially around philly.... they can claim anything and everything shows that you don't have proper character to carry a firearm... I would contact a lawyer, preferably one who specializes in firearms.

Re: Ccw denied because of driving history?

No sir. In fact, I was able to drive away. I have never been convicted of anything, never in trouble nothing. 5 year air force vet.
    I contacted a lawyer, so we will see how it goes from there.
    I have bern open carrying, waiting on the permit to be issued.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

My liscence was,suspended for failure to pay a speeding ticket

No sir. In fact, I was able to drive away. I have never been convicted of anything, never in trouble nothing. 5 year air force vet.
    I contacted a lawyer, so we will see how it goes from there.
    I have bern open carrying, waiting on the permit to be issued.

Was the denial sent in writing, or was it just a verbal denial from the Sheriff?

Be careful open carrying - just make sure we are not in a state of emergency, that you don't get in/on any vehicle, and that you don't do it in Philly until you get your LTCF.

Good luck to you. If your lawyer doesn't work out, I know of a good firearms attorney you might want to try.

I stopped in the sheriff office this morning to check the status because it had been over two months since I sent the application in.
    When they looked up my file the sheriff said it was denied because of a driving with suspened licence.
    He said I will recieve a letter in the mail.
    The firarms attorney you have would be great! Thank you.
    I remove the clip from the gun while in the car and re insert the clip when I exit. From my understanding that is the legal way to do it

I stopped in the sheriff office this morning to check the status because it had been over two months since I sent the application in.
    When they looked up my file the sheriff said it was denied because of a driving with suspened licence.
    I remove the clip from the gun while in the car and re insert the clip when I exit. From my understanding that is the legal way to do it

You can only have your firearm in your vehicle in PA without a LTCF if you are going to or from the range or gunsmith. Right now if you get pulled over, you could be charged with a felony.

I will PM you the lawyer's info.

Thank you

Sent from my Torque using Tapatalk 2

very frustrated with this

Banned
    I would be a little more than flustered. I would be freaking pissed.

Its outrageous ... its contemptible ...

Agreed. Not to mention I don't believe the law is being followed in this situation.
    I have to submit a formal appeal..pary $115 then wait for a court date.

Banned
    Agreed. Not to mention I don't believe the law is being followed in this situation.
    I have to submit a formal appeal..pary $115 then wait for a court date.

115 BUCKS !! What !! WHo !! Freaking nuts !

I would ask the guy for the money ....

Thats the price I was told by the appeal court

You would be well advised to stop "talking" with the sheriff or his associates.

You're driving around with a "suspended license" is not going to do you any favors. Either your driving license is valid or it is not and as an adult in this day and age - YOU - are expected to know this.

As for your removing the clip from the gun while in the car - what is the matter with you? What is it about the English language that you do not understand?

tyc

Why has no one stated the obvious???

You can carry in a vehicle with a license to carry from ANY state.

To conceal carry in the meantime, get a Maine license and carry on that, they are reciprocal with PA.
    Last edited by Jared; 03-12-2013 at 01:41 PM.

Maine conceal licence? How do I do that without being a resident?

Quote Originally Posted by tyc View Post
    You would be well advised to stop "talking" with the sheriff or his associates.

You're driving around with a "suspended license" is not going to do you any favors. Either your driving license is valid or it is not and as an adult in this day and age - YOU - are expected to know this.

As for your removing the clip from the gun while in the car - what is the matter with you? What is it about the English language that you do not understand?

tyc
    My licence was suspended...noylt is suspended..this was back in 2009

Regardless im appealjng the sheriff's decision and taking it to court

Maine conceal licence? How do I do that without being a resident?

I believe most responsible members of this site would poo-poo this loophole, so I realize the risk at stating this openly.... and this site is dedicated to OPEN CARRY. You might find more info offered up on a CC site.
    BUT,
    Look into a Florida non-res concealed permit. I handled mine entirely by mail. It took a couple weeks, and they mailed it back to me.
    Last edited by Slidell Jim; 03-12-2013 at 09:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Slidell Jim View Post
    I believe most responsible members of this site would poo-poo this loophole, so I realize the risk at stating this openly.... and this site is dedicated to OPEN CARRY. You might find more info offered up on a CC site.
    BUT,
    Look into a Florida non-res concealed permit. I handled mine entirely by mail. It took a couple weeks, and they mailed it back to me.
    Thanks buddy. I will look into it

Quote Originally Posted by Slidell Jim View Post
    BUT,
    Thanks buddy. I will look into it

As of very recently PA only honors a Florida permit for Florida residents.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/pennsylvania.pdf
    While many claim to support the right to keep and bear arms, precious few support the practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    As of very recently PA only honors a Florida permit for Florida residents.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/pennsylvania.pdf
    well I call that barrel-blocked.

and the same reason I had to get my La CC permission slip when more prudent to carry CC in La.

Applied for my permit via Maine...see what happens

Applied for my permit via Maine...see what happens
    If I understand this correctly, you are a Pennsylvania resident that wishes to carry in your home State by using a non-resident permit/license from a State that has reciprocity with Pennsylvania (without possessing a valid in-State resident permit)?

I think in these times, this is frowned upon, let alone the legality of it. I would strongly recommend checking to see if Pennsylvania allows this, before you proceed any further. Most States that I'm familiar with have stipulated reciprocity is for RESIDENTS only. Non-residents are SOL (unless you have a non-resident permit directly with the State that you will be carrying in, of course).

Using Maine as an example, http://www.maine.gov/dps/msp/license...s_permits.html
    clearly indicates "Maine has reciprocal agreements with the following States for resident concealed handgun permits".

New Hampshire is also the same; our reciprocity is for RESIDENTS of reciprocity States only.

If Pennsylvania allows non-resident reciprocity then this door MIGHT be open to you. I would doubt that it is, however.

Before carrying in your State, you should always know (and follow) any applicable laws. This thread suggests that you did not, and violated law(s) that could have turned you into a felon if caught.

Not smart. Worrisome.

Additionally, your quoted comment that I replied to would suggest that you already submitted your Maine non-resident application along with the fee? How did you answer the question in the non-resident application about refusals in any other jurisdictions?
    Last edited by Tactical9mm; 03-14-2013 at 11:34 PM.
    Let a man never stir on his road a step without his weapons of war; for unsure is the knowing when need shall arise of a spear on the way without. -Hávamál 38

Tactical9mm, although you raise an interesting point the PA statutes are quite clear on this. Our new 2A-unfriendly AG is attempting to change this, but as of today a PA resident is OK to CC with a non-res permit from another state. One exception is Florida. Maine is good.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    While many claim to support the right to keep and bear arms, precious few support the practice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast