• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ccw denied because of driving history?

Tarik

I applied for my permit and was denied because of driving history...driving with a suspended license. Liscence was suspended for failure to pa a moving violation..15 over the speed limit.
My question is this something to deny a permit for? I have absolutely no criminal record, and pass the background checks with flying colors when I purchase firearms. Is this Sherrif out of line? Is this something I should get a lawyer for?
This is in Monroe county btw.
Thanks guys

badey

I applied for my permit and was denied because of driving history...driving with a suspended license. Liscence was suspended for failure to pa a moving violation..15 over the speed limit.
My question is this something to deny a permit for? I have absolutely no criminal record, and pass the background checks with flying colors when I purchase firearms. Is this Sherrif out of line? Is this something I should get a lawyer for?
This is in Monroe county btw.
Thanks guys

Was driving on a suspended license a crime that can be punishable by up to 1 year in jail? If so, the way I understand it is that you won't be able to get a license to carry in PA.

If not, then they still can deny you on the "character clause" of not having proper character to carry a weapon. This is a problem, especially around philly.... they can claim anything and everything shows that you don't have proper character to carry a firearm... I would contact a lawyer, preferably one who specializes in firearms.

Tarik

No sir. In fact, I was able to drive away. I have never been convicted of anything, never in trouble nothing. 5 year air force vet.
I contacted a lawyer, so we will see how it goes from there.
I have bern open carrying, waiting on the permit to be issued.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Tarik

My liscence was,suspended for failure to pay a speeding ticket

badey

No sir. In fact, I was able to drive away. I have never been convicted of anything, never in trouble nothing. 5 year air force vet.
I contacted a lawyer, so we will see how it goes from there.
I have bern open carrying, waiting on the permit to be issued.

Was the denial sent in writing, or was it just a verbal denial from the Sheriff?

Be careful open carrying - just make sure we are not in a state of emergency, that you don't get in/on any vehicle, and that you don't do it in Philly until you get your LTCF.

Good luck to you. If your lawyer doesn't work out, I know of a good firearms attorney you might want to try.

Tarik

I stopped in the sheriff office this morning to check the status because it had been over two months since I sent the application in.
When they looked up my file the sheriff said it was denied because of a driving with suspened licence.
He said I will recieve a letter in the mail.
The firarms attorney you have would be great! Thank you.
I remove the clip from the gun while in the car and re insert the clip when I exit. From my understanding that is the legal way to do it

badey

I stopped in the sheriff office this morning to check the status because it had been over two months since I sent the application in.
When they looked up my file the sheriff said it was denied because of a driving with suspened licence.
I remove the clip from the gun while in the car and re insert the clip when I exit. From my understanding that is the legal way to do it

You can only have your firearm in your vehicle in PA without a LTCF if you are going to or from the range or gunsmith. Right now if you get pulled over, you could be charged with a felony.

I will PM you the lawyer's info.

Tarik

Agreed. Not to mention I don't believe the law is being followed in this situation.
I have to submit a formal appeal..pary $115 then wait for a court date.

Sent from my Torque using Tapatalk 2

davidmcbeth

Banned
Agreed. Not to mention I don't believe the law is being followed in this situation.
I have to submit a formal appeal..pary $115 then wait for a court date.

115 BUCKS !! What !! WHo !! Freaking nuts !

I would ask the guy for the money ....

Tarik

Thats the price I was told by the appeal court

tyc

You would be well advised to stop "talking" with the sheriff or his associates.

You're driving around with a "suspended license" is not going to do you any favors. Either your driving license is valid or it is not and as an adult in this day and age - YOU - are expected to know this.

As for your removing the clip from the gun while in the car - what is the matter with you? What is it about the English language that you do not understand?

tyc

Jared

Why has no one stated the obvious???

You can carry in a vehicle with a license to carry from ANY state.

To conceal carry in the meantime, get a Maine license and carry on that, they are reciprocal with PA.

Last edited:

Tarik

Maine conceal licence? How do I do that without being a resident?

Tarik

You would be well advised to stop "talking" with the sheriff or his associates.

You're driving around with a "suspended license" is not going to do you any favors. Either your driving license is valid or it is not and as an adult in this day and age - YOU - are expected to know this.

As for your removing the clip from the gun while in the car - what is the matter with you? What is it about the English language that you do not understand?

tyc

My licence was suspended...noylt is suspended..this was back in 2009

Tarik

Regardless im appealjng the sheriff's decision and taking it to court

Slidell Jim

Maine conceal licence? How do I do that without being a resident?

I believe most responsible members of this site would poo-poo this loophole, so I realize the risk at stating this openly.... and this site is dedicated to OPEN CARRY. You might find more info offered up on a CC site.
BUT,
Look into a Florida non-res concealed permit. I handled mine entirely by mail. It took a couple weeks, and they mailed it back to me.

Last edited:

Tarik

I believe most responsible members of this site would poo-poo this loophole, so I realize the risk at stating this openly.... and this site is dedicated to OPEN CARRY. You might find more info offered up on a CC site.
BUT,
Look into a Florida non-res concealed permit. I handled mine entirely by mail. It took a couple weeks, and they mailed it back to me.

Thanks buddy. I will look into it